• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Wopfisher

SMELTS!!!

Superiormobile

East of Nipigon has been pretty good in the smaller rivers

smokerscully1

Just started east side of Lake Nipigon—1/4 pail last nite

fishman1

What about town, still too early? Maybe June? Zachary Corbin? U say u get them 2 weeks after everyone has finished. 

Can u give us an update as to when the big run comes in? My neighbour want a fry.

regards.

oyo

Might have happened in town already? If they started east of nipigon almost two weeks ago and the east side of lake nipigon itself one week ago it might be safe to assume that the water was warm

enough here a few weeks ago. I was out at Mackenzie three weeks ago and got about 50, they all had eggs or sperm gushing out of them. Went out to Mackenzie Wednesday night and saw two get scooped in an hour between five guys. 

smokerscully1

Little bit of rain yesterday killed the run—only a few last night at 1am. Will get better after a couple of warm days.

Everybody tries to go too early—including me and I have a smelt crick in my backyard.

Its the same with walleye—you’d think that after 50 years I would have noticed that by now.

1 hour ago, oyo said:

Might have happened in town already? If they started east of nipigon almost two weeks ago and the east side of lake nipigon itself one week ago it might be safe to assume that the water was warm

enough here a few weeks ago. I was out at Mackenzie three weeks ago and got about 50, they all had eggs or sperm gushing out of them. Went out to Mackenzie Wednesday night and saw two get scooped in an hour between five guys. 

The imagine of "sperm gushing out of them" went well with my morning coffee lol

• Confused 1

fishman1
2 hours ago, oyo said:

Yes I was being sarcastic, the smelt run is well over, I think even zack has his work cut out for him!

ReadytoFish

So we have went out several times smelting in the last couple of weeks. Even spoke to other's trying to smelt in CR. No one we spoke to has gotten really anything yet this year. Is this smelt run late this season due to the Polar Vortex or have we somehow missed the smelt run this year in Thunder Bay?

Zackcorbin1401

I was getting them on April 23rd this year nothing crazy.

Commonsense

The smelt run is about finished here in Thunder Bay.  Got smelt May 6 at CR. enough but not great. Checked out CR. last night since water temps have been unpredictable with this cold weather. A few people there, someone caught the late straggler. (1) 

Even the smelts are practicing social distancing this year. For those who got smelt, try them smoked, just finished off the last ones.😋 

gonefishing

Just tried the Mackenzie. Nothing there even with the water being warmer now at 7C.  

ReadytoFish

Last year we got pail fulls of smelts. This year we went out several times in the end of April, beginning of May and just recently and unfortunately we found no smelts. We went to Mackenzie and CR. Looks like somehow we have missed the smelt season this year. I think even with the water being colder than usual this year it looks like the smelts instinctively came in the cold Polar Vortex Weather.