• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Oksanen93

Kekekuab lake questions

Oksanen93

ive heard good things about kekekuab, with that being said - does anyone know how the access into the lake is?

Is it drivable with a pickup? Or is it a quad trail

Thanks!

benny18

the landing is brutal...im going on Saturday, we use 4x4 at the landing rest of the road going in is not to bad

bring bug spray bugs are bad at the launch

never left without a limit of wallys ever

Oksanen93

Thanks alot! How far in distance is the landing where you have to use 4x4? Is there stash boats available?

speckmaster

Stashed boats available?  Hmmm

benny18

several boats,do not know if they are any good

Pound 4 Pound

Had a boat in there many years ago went to go fishing and the boat was gone. I would not chance on taking someones boat that belongs to them. If you have a boat bring it. It's very disappointing going to a lake to use your own boat and its gone.

• Like 2

Shawn

Taking someone else’s boat is theft if I ever go all the way in to a lake and my boat is gone the person in my boat better hope he did a good job hiding his truck and quad on shore he gonna have a long walk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

speckmaster

Nobody caches a boat for random strangers to use. Just sayin’

jonut13

Nobody should be stashing boats. just saying   If you can bring it in you can bring it out   No fun when you drag your boat in and have to move 2 or 3 boats because they are blocking the only place to launch

• Like 3

speckmaster

Blocking access is one thing...leaving a boat is another. 

• Like 1

crisop

Your allowed to cache a boat as long as u get permission from the mnr as a boat cache permit

so that being said don’t touch a boat if it’s not yours never know if their gonna show you to use it

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

walleye seeker

There isn't a Boat Cache program in Thunder Bay District, no MNR approval necessary. 

Agreed, don't touch other people's boats without permission. I've had a few stolen from my favorite lakes over the years. Always seems to happen over the winter. Can't seem to wrap my mind around these low lives intentions. If someone is going to put in the work to get a boat into a lake, what gives you the authority to remove it? We are all outdoorsmen, let's show a little respect for each! 

• Like 1

crisop

Shows how long it’s been since I had a stashed boat at a lake

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

James01

Off topic from Kekekaub, but I have used boats when the numbers on the boat start with MN or WI ... ;)

Most of the boats I find North of Graham are like that 

And Shawn, save the badass talk for elsewhere ... no one is impressed

• Like 1

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Foz

One of my favourite lakes. First time I went in 1999, I portaged in from Boreal road before I found out about the road in. I have a 2 wheel drive truck so use quad for the last part to bring my boat in. Fishing has always been good for me in there.

Foz

Used to fish it regularly but now only maybe once or twice per year. There are many boats at the launch. A lot of fishing pressure but it still seems to produce good walleye fishing. Nice pike in there as well.

James01
2 hours ago, Foz said:

One of my favourite lakes. First time I went in 1999, I portaged in from Boreal road before I found out about the road in. I have a 2 wheel drive truck so use quad for the last part to bring my boat in. Fishing has always been good for me in there.

Where did you portage in from Boreal? How hard of a portage was it? Not that'll I will ever do it, just a little intrigued.

Last time I was in Kekekaub, we tore the running board off my brother-in-laws Bronco driving down to the lake. 

Haven't been there in years ... curious to see what the condition is like now compared to then.

Edit: Just noticed benny18's comment about 4x4 at the landing. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

sport

We have been in there many times this winter for ice-fishing and  I’ve done quite well. Also snowmobiled  into Blossom from Kiki Cobb. The last mile into kikki’ is mostly quad only.  The entire lake is 10’ to 12’ deep. We counted 17 boats at the landing and some were locked up and some not. The main road in is quite well groomed. Look on Google earth for access off the old Inco mine road which is the road at shebandowan village turn off . I believe it’s 10 km on Inco road and 9 km on dirt road to entrance to lake. 
Enjoy 😉 

Kayaker
20 hours ago, James01 said:

Off topic from Kekekaub, but I have used boats when the numbers on the boat start with MN or WI ... ;)

Most of the boats I find North of Graham are like that 

And Shawn, save the badass talk for elsewhere ... no one is impressed

What does WI or MN have to do with it, I have had many boats over the years with American tags on them. Theft is Theft. You wouldn't happen to have my chain saw would you???

• Haha 2

Foz

Up Boreal road. Went up gold creek road. Quadded the boat in through a bad washout. Them up a trail for a while. Park quad, carry boat about 50-100 feet. Put boat in near the river between Kekekaub and Blossom lake. Was worth it. It was 1999, limit was still 6 each then. We had four people, limit of 24 fish together. We were told about the road that day.

James01
On 6/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Kayaker said:

What does WI or MN have to do with it, I have had many boats over the years with American tags on them. Theft is Theft. You wouldn't happen to have my chain saw would you???

Ha … that's actually funny.

But back to Kekekaub, thanks for the info Foz. Like I said, I will likely never do the portage but its good to know - and interesting to learn.

- Henry David Thoreau

YQT

I don't think the lake is as good as it used to be. Before it was a narrow one lane road the whole way. Now with easier access cause of logging operations, 3/4 of the way from Shebandowan Rd is basically a two lane dirt road; and it's put a lot of pressure on the fish. 

Bring a crappy vehicle as the final 1/4 of the way will scratch the crap outta your truck.

Then the last 200 down to the landing I wouldn't even consider without a 4X4 and a somewhat lifted truck or quad.

As for the boats, don't touch someone else belongings. A few idiots deliberately put holes into the locked up boats. Wow, so classy.
If you lock your boat there, please put it away from the landing farther in the woods. It's tight in there as it is.

Oh, and to the guy that left a note on my truck a few years back (you had the yellow quad). I know how things are done in Canada. 28 years worth. Don't let the WI licence plate fool you. You f'd up sleeping in. Shoulda got there earlier.

• Like 1

Shawn

My guess after being advertised on this site the fish population is about to get a lot lower on that lake and I bet there will be problems with the boat cache as well sooner or later can’t win you lock a boat up gets holes in it leave it unlocked you are dealt with cleaning your boat full of everyone else’s garbage and fish guts and damage every time you use it I used to leave mine unlocked and some people out there find it’s not enough you spent accouple hundred dollars and hrs of labour to get a boat in a lake They see nothing wrong in using it leaving about 30 empties food garbage and fish guts now I lock it as I say no excuse when you show up boat lock on ground I wouldn’t even wait for confrontation show there property on shore same they show mine and another thing I do like this site for some info but I think goingto fat sharing where a bunch of unattended trailers  are sitting and boats stashed and very detailed directions to some spots is going a little to far let’s remember everyone is not a nice person out there I know myself I put a lot of work to find some spots doesn’t seem right some lazy person on this site can hear all about it on this site take my boat he knows is there and fish it out  with all his buddies but that’s just my opinion when the fish are all gone I guess we can golf together 

• Haha 1