• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Big Guy

Cavern Lake

Big Guy

Wondering if anyone has fished cavern during the soft water season recently? Thinking about quading in with the boat this weekend.  I fished it once in the summer years ago and did well, but never late in the season. 

MetalFishing

Caught a bunch of tiny ones through the ice a few years ago; those fish are probably a nice size now

• Like 1

Big Guy

Think I'll check it out.  Worth a shot anyway....

I hammered them 2 falls ago. Used a #1 white mepps

• Like 1

Big Guy

You could bring a truck, it is a little rough.  I went in with my titan in the spring but used my quad to bring my 14 footer in yesterday.

CountDupu

I get in there with my Subaru cross trek . Lakes very productive this time of year . 

• Haha 1

Big Guy

I made it back in on Saturday. This time with my truck and boat trailer.  A little tight and slow going but no damage.  Fishing wasn't nearly as good.  Water temps had climbed from 52 two weeks ago to 59.  So that's my excuse lol

Ended up with limits.  The fish that were biting are obviously putting on the feed bag.  Almost every one we kept had multiple pieces of worm from repeated bites and almost all had minnows coming back up.

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

Big Guy

How big is that one?  Our biggest ended up be a touch over 15". 

Zackcorbin1401
11 hours ago, Big Guy said:

How big is that one?  Our biggest ended up be a touch over 15". 

15 3/4” and was on the first cast. Followed by many 8-12” fish as I did one big lap around the lake...only kept the one.

• Like 1

Big Guy
8 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

15 3/4” and was on the first cast. Followed by many 8-12” fish as I did one big lap around the lake...only kept the one.

Wow fantastic way to start the day, that's for sure!

Big Guy

Went in on Saturday to do some ice fishing.  Didn't do great for quantity, but quality was fantastic lol.  Big fish was 15 3/4", with one at 13 1/2" and one 11 1/2" also caught a very large sucker.  The small guy and sucker were caught on worm, the 2 larger specks were caught on minnows.  Biggest catch of the day by far was some how managing to snag and to pull an 8 foot log up through a hole.  Boy was I excited when that thing hit lol 

Road in was in great shape and easily drivable with a truck or SUV, possibly a car if you had enough clearance for the logs that the beavers have been pulling into the road.  Ice varied in thickness from 8-9" close to shore and 5-6 a little ways out.  Only punched holes and fished near the little launch area within 30' to 40' from shore and about 100" left and right. 

There were a few snowmobile tracks as well as ATV tracks on the lake.

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401
45 minutes ago, oyo said:

Is access on the N or S side of the lake?

North side 

JGriffin

Has anyone been out lately to this lake? Looking to try it for my first time tomorrow and going to be walking in. Just wondering if anyone knows how the road is and I read above there is access for the north. Is there a place people normally park? Thanks for any info.

Big Guy

There's a little pull out at the fork at the access road.  You take cavern lake road 2 kms off of wolf lake road.  The access road is an additional 2kms or so in to the lake.  Haven't been since the most recent snows. 

• Like 1

JGriffin

Okay good to know. I had no clue where I was going so that helps a lot. Thanks for the info!

10 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

There's a little pull out at the fork at the access road.  You take cavern lake road 2 kms off of wolf lake road.  The access road is an additional 2kms or so in to the lake.  Haven't been since the most recent snows. 

Big Guy

Google earth shows it pretty clearly.  There is a small creek to cross over. 

• Like 1

JGriffin
1 hour ago, Big Guy said:

Google earth shows it pretty clearly.  There is a small creek to cross over. 

I do see where you're talking about now. That helps a lot.  Lol just needed a focal point. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Fourseasonsangling

How was trail in? I plan on walking in this week sometime

JGriffin

I didn't end up going, I went down 527 instead. With the uncertainty of the road being possibly snowed in I didn't want to risk it. 

Dirty Sanchenz
2 hours ago, JGriffin said:

I didn't end up going, I went down 527 instead. With the uncertainty of the road being possibly snowed in I didn't want to risk it. 

Is the cut off even plowed?? That could be one long ride