• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eddylives

Dirt bike insurance

eddylives

Looking for input regarding off road dirt bike insurance.

So far I  am having a hard time finding anyone locally willing to insure a little bike I've recently picked up (81 Honda XR 100).

A few outright refuse to insure , some offer facility insurance which is what you get after say an impaired charge $$$$$$$ big buxs lol.

Yes I have tried my providers of home and auto and no go.

Wondering what others are doing to remain legal to go trail riding around here??

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

eddylives

So far TD insurance is the only company to offer reasonable cost basic coverage at $250.00/yr

Bobber Down

What other companies have you got a unreasonable quote from and how much did they want? Is there a difference from an insurance aspect between a small dirt bike and a regular street bike?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Dirty Sanchenz

Thats very strange especially going with your home owners insurance. Did they give a reason why they would not insure the bike? Its not a trike and its not a custom rocket. if you have a clean driving record should be no issue. For my newer ATV's I think I pay about 300 bucks a year for everything. Something is not right. 

eddylives

I spoke to half a dozen companies including my own.

I received different information from each one.

Most state that they don't offer coverage for off road bikes due to "speed" yet they insure street bikes sleds and quads  utv atv vehicles.(some of which are absolute ground rockets lmao)

Others say sure but its facility insurance that you would have to get say after an impaired conviction which is incredibly high.

Its really frustrating when you are required by law to be insured but they do not offer reasonable rates and getting charged with no insurance on said bike will cost you with your regular vehicle ins.

Example...no insurance on your dirt bike conviction will result in your regular vehicle insurance to increase by up to 40-50% and add a moderate speeding ticket after that can result in cancellation. So it was explained to me by a broker willing to answer questions.

There are a number of vehicles "black listed" by the insurance industry so you must research before you buy lol

Dirty Sanchenz
4 hours ago, eddylives said:

I spoke to half a dozen companies including my own.

I received different information from each one.

Most state that they don't offer coverage for off road bikes due to "speed" yet they insure street bikes sleds and quads  utv atv vehicles.(some of which are absolute ground rockets lmao)

Others say sure but its facility insurance that you would have to get say after an impaired conviction which is incredibly high.

Its really frustrating when you are required by law to be insured but they do not offer reasonable rates and getting charged with no insurance on said bike will cost you with your regular vehicle ins.

Example...no insurance on your dirt bike conviction will result in your regular vehicle insurance to increase by up to 40-50% and add a moderate speeding ticket after that can result in cancellation. So it was explained to me by a broker willing to answer questions.

There are a number of vehicles "black listed" by the insurance industry so you must research before you buy lol

Sure makes it hard to keep an honest guy honest.

eddylives

Other companies also stated no stand alone policy 

must transfer home and auto policies 

Bobber Down

Motorcycle insurance is so expensive because of the cost to fix your body if you are in an accident. The insurance companies are mandated by law to provide accident benefits to provide you with medical care if you're hurt in an accident. Your own insurance company has to pay the health care system to fix you, not the tree, road or rock that you hit driving off road. In their eyes you are virtually unprotected compared to an automobile driver.

Apparently the insurance industry spends a lot of money on fixing up motorcyclists after accidents compared with dealing with those who drive cars. When you have all your insurance needs with one company it gives them some form of piece of mind that you are a responsible individual/driver/operator which is why they will even offer the policy in the first place. The price will be high, no doubt, but at least you can get it cheaper than as you say facility.

The TD quote you got is also quite high. Give Mitchell & Whale Insurance a call and see what they can do for you. 1-800-731-2228

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Kayaker
8 hours ago, Bobber Down said:

Motorcycle insurance is so expensive because of the cost to fix your body if you are in an accident. The insurance companies are mandated by law to provide accident benefits to provide you with medical care if you're hurt in an accident. Your own insurance company has to pay the health care system to fix you, not the tree, road or rock that you hit driving off road. In their eyes you are virtually unprotected compared to an automobile driver.

Apparently the insurance industry spends a lot of money on fixing up motorcyclists after accidents compared with dealing with those who drive cars. When you have all your insurance needs with one company it gives them some form of piece of mind that you are a responsible individual/driver/operator which is why they will even offer the policy in the first place. The price will be high, no doubt, but at least you can get it cheaper than as you say facility.

The TD quote you got is also quite high. Give Mitchell & Whale Insurance a call and see what they can do for you. 1-800-731-2228

WTF $250 is quite high?? What do you pay for your bike or ATV?

Bobber Down

Ooops Brain Fart I was thinking it was $250 a month lol

Bobber Down

This is what an insurance company thinks is happening off road with guys riding dirt bikes hahaha

bigstunt.jpg

• Haha 1

eddylives

So true lol

They think off roaders are stuntmen lol

sport

I use TD for my harley and enduro  . other buddies use Desjardins Insurance   . george rappos in newmarket ,on

1-866-921-3444 toll free

sport

Dirty Sanchenz

I did use TD for my motorcycles, for a few years, then I inquired at my home/auto insurance. Allstate, and I got a much better price than TD and I mean much better. I was surprised.

sport

I did try allstate ... but for the great price quote, they wanted my entire policy holdings..that was the catch ..for a STAND ALONE  policy for the bike , they charged 200$ more ..buyer beware ..

memorablemoose

Thats very strange especially going with your home owners insurance. Did they give a reason why they would not insure the bike? Its not a trike and its not a custom rocket. if you have a clean driving record should be no issue. For my newer ATV's I think I pay about 300 bucks a year for everything. Something is not right. 

whatsafish

Last i heard (so it's hearsay, check for yourself, I may be wrong) insurance companies can't deny you for not bringing your home and auto with it. 

I use State Farm which is now Desjardin for my offroad bikes and sleds.  My home and auto company just doesn't do those.  Desjardin asked me to bring my home and auto but I get a corporate discount which they can't touch.  They have no problem doing just the bikes and sleds although you miss out on multi policy discounts.  Still, my kids 300cc off road bike is only about $12 a month and that includes  accident benefits.

rmayr
On 5/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, whatsafish said:

Last i heard (so it's hearsay, check for yourself, I may be wrong) insurance companies can't deny you for not bringing your home and auto with it. 

I use State Farm which is now Desjardin for my offroad bikes and sleds.  My home and auto company just doesn't do those.  Desjardin asked me to bring my home and auto but I get a corporate discount which they can't touch.  They have no problem doing just the bikes and sleds although you miss out on multi policy discounts.  Still, my kids 300cc off road bike is only about $12 a month and that includes  accident benefits.

Do you figure desjardins would insure a yz250 two stroke? I know some companies see ‘motocross bike’ vs ‘off-road motorcycle’ as two entirely different things when in reality they are the same lol. 

whatsafish

I don't see why not.  My bike is listed as a competition off road motorcycle i believe.  It's a 300 2 stroke, my kids Husky is a 300 2 stroke and I've had a CR85 insured with them.  

• Thanks 1

rmayr
12 hours ago, whatsafish said:

I don't see why not.  My bike is listed as a competition off road motorcycle i believe.  It's a 300 2 stroke, my kids Husky is a 300 2 stroke and I've had a CR85 insured with them.  

Awesome, thank you for the info. I’ll be looking into insurance with them in the near future.