• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tracker

Points-based moose tag allocation process

tracker

Overview

In 2021, the moose tag draw will be replaced by a points-based tag allocation process to distribute moose tags among resident hunters.

The tag allocation process will begin in April 2021 and will consist of a primary allocation stage and a second chance allocation stage.

All hunters will apply as individuals. There are no group applications.

This new allocation process:

• addresses concerns about fairness
  • distributes all tag types to resident hunters
  • allows hunters to purchase only the products they need
  • increases hunters' ability to predict when they are likely to be awarded a tag
  • gives hunters more choices when applying
  • lets hunters decide whether to apply using their points or to gain a point
  • allows hunters awarded a tag the ability to decide whether to claim it
  • provides most allocation results much earlier
  • continues to provide Northern resident hunters with a small preference by receiving one additional (non-accumulating) point
  • supports moose hunter recruitment and retention
  • eliminates surplus tag distribution and provides a second chance allocation
  • does not allow tag transfers (except in exceptional circumstances)
  • Like 1

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

crisop

points are up now on your account.  its under the sales and draw entries

pretty sure one point will not get me a tag this year

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Mr. Canoehead

As someone who doesn't have any hunting partners, this is a welcome change for me.

115kv
26 minutes ago, Mr. Canoehead said:

As someone who doesn't have any hunting partners, this is a welcome change for me.

You likely would have had way more of a chance drawing individually under the old system where 5% of tags were set aside for Northern residents.

naden
1 minute ago, 115kv said:

You likely would have had way more of a chance drawing individually under the old system where 5% of tags were set aside for Northern residents.

Depends on the wmu, in some areas 5% of the tags is 2 tags!

Mr. Canoehead

Not exactly, you had a chance of getting one faster that way but also a chance of never getting a tag year after year for the rest of your life. This way I will definately get a tag, after applying for enough years. For this reason I am will start applying again. I haven't applied since they increased to group sizes, when we used to be able to get a guaranteed bull tag for 15b with 2 of us applying. 

naden
1 minute ago, Mr. Canoehead said:

Not exactly, you had a chance of getting one faster that way but also a chance of never getting a tag year after year for the rest of your life. This way I will definately get a tag, after applying for enough years. For this reason I am will start applying again. I haven't applied since they increased to group sizes, when we used to be able to get a guaranteed bull tag for 15b with 2 of us applying. 

The old system was definitely biased towards large groups, I agree this should be an improvement for many. 

115kv

I have drawn a cow and a bull tag individually in 15B since 2013. Same situation for many others I know. I know someone who drew a bull tag individually in 13 after the tags were slashed, people who would get an adult tag in 21B almost every year even if they were in pool 2, etc.

This change will be good for Southern Ontario hunters. Maybe it is more fair, in some ways, but pure numbers wise there are way more hunters from down South. Way more likely to turn tags in the good WMU's into closer to once-in-a-lifetime tags for us.

Barrski

I had a tag in 2019 and applied in 2020 with out success which means I should have one point plus Northern point

Looked in my account but only show one point

Any thoughts 

dano

This system may be better in some aspects but it all depends on how many points they determine a hunter needs in each WMU, and if there is point creep every year, and are tag numbers staying the same or getting reduced. 

arvey

It will be interesting to see how well these new rules will be accepted by the hunters . meaning more applicants or less.

PajamaSquirrel

Removing the lottery system lets everyone sleep peacefully at night, knowing that you have absolutely zero chance of a tag for years and years and years.  No way to plan in advance with groups, or any type of guarantee.  Seems much fairer to me.  And it will only cost you more $$$

MtBaldyHillbilly

There is no cost unless you get allocated a tag? I m not sure, but it sounded like that's how it meant to be played..

Barrski

$15 to apply 

PajamaSquirrel

Like Barrski said, $15 to apply.

AND another $35 if you want to hunt with somebody on their tag - so basically no change to previous system. - total $50.

However, if you are successful and get a tag:

Another $30 if you apply and receive a calf tag (but there go all of your points and you'll never get an adult tag) - total $80.

or, Another $150 if you receive a cow/calf tag - total of $200.

or, Another $200 if you receive a bull tag - total of $250.

How long until those costs start going up when the MNR decides they need more revenue? or in their words "These prices reflect hunter demand and ensure continued support for the management of this valuable resource."  

The Big Game Advisory Committee Report identifies  "...the majority of hunters indicated they felt the group application approach was fair."  With the stated goal to make the system simpler and fairer, why would they recommend contrary to the very opinions and information they sought, as identified by the majority of hunters?  Its fair the way it is, so lets change it.