• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AddieH

Silver Harbour Ice Conditions

AddieH

Anyone know the ice conditions at silver harbour? I’ve never been but hear it’s a great spot for whitefish and some other species.. want to go tomorrow but haven’t seen too many posts about it on here 

No chance its safe. Freezes late, gonna be later this year. When it does freeze (if it freezes) ive caught whitefish all around the area between the island and breakwall, herring too under the ice. If your feeling tough walk way out, find the 90ftish flat and catch lakers. Havent fished there since i got a sled but I had some really good days our there, particularly for lakers.

bin fishin lots

Im gonna concur with 2112. Also a couple ice ridges form out there. Bad one being around st Mary Island. I fell threw one year not very far from the island. Scary experience. If you manage to get out its a long run in frozen gear back to the truck!

AddieH

Thanks for the info, there’s hundreds of inland lakes I can fish and give superior some more time. 👍🏻

MtBaldyHillbilly

Took a cruise today...figured I should share the view. Looks perhaps a bit more solid toward the island..

20210125_122442.jpg

20210125_122751.jpg

• Like 2

Pound 4 Pound

On the east side of caribou bays end looked all locked up but on the south side of caribou there is ice and open water. With a good wind that ice in bays end would be washed to shore. Be careful and don't  take the chance go fishing else where lots of bodies of water frozen

adam_k

Was out yesterday afternoon and the ice is starting to form there were a few people out skating a 3-4 hundred yards straight  out from  the point of the break wall ( little to far if you ask me) I walked out a couple hundred feet to the left of the dock there 3-4” of ice off the dock to the left someone had walked out before me looked like they fished. Not to long now with this cold weather and no wind 🤞and walking out may be good.

• Like 3

AddieH

Was out today just for a look. People

everywhere. Crews fishing from break wall all the way to the island and beyond.  Looks like 5-6” for the first 200 yards out or so. After that I can’t comment about ice. But it’s as far as I can see...

jbzobes

...six inches of ice between the launch and Mary's...There was 2 groups probably 500 feet past Mary's...the first ice ridge that forms in the same place just a short ways out is still quite small...only 2 sleds, but lots of walk on's yesterday...about 8 pop up huts...

• Like 2

Nice fish!

• Like 1

JGriffin
2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Nice fish!

Thank you! Haha I was beyond excited when I finally got it in. 

Lacman

Where is good to fish here?  Just out past the little harbour?  What do you guys catch here?

Its an appealing spot since its close and easy to bring the kids.

JGriffin
1 hour ago, Lacman said:

Where is good to fish here?  Just out past the little harbour?  What do you guys catch here?

Its an appealing spot since its close and easy to bring the kids.

You can fish really anywhere around there from my experience. I guess depending what you are going for but I got that rainbow probably a 3 min walk out and have gotten lake trout there with in a 20 min walk out. If it's your first time bring out the kids be aware the ice is always making loud noises and making cracking noises. Still safe but could be scary for them. Lol I see grown adults jump and scurry off the ice when it happens. Hope you get out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tanner

Nice Fish! Thank you for all of the info. Has anyone caught whitefish at Silver harbour? 

• Thanks 1

bin fishin lots

The big pond definitely making a bit more ice now with this cold. 

ottoman82

I was 400-500m straight out this morning and it was 8.5" thick. Thursday it was only 6" thick. It's making ice nicely 🙂

Zackcorbin1401

Out by sare road 20ft of water I was on 12-13” of ice and now currently out by caribou 105ft deep before all the shattered ice there is 18”

PkdR

Nice fish JGriffin!! Has anyone else had any luck out there? Was going to bring the little guy out tomorrow! ..will get bored easy so I’m hoping for any type of action !! Haha 

• Thanks 1

oyo
2 hours ago, PkdR said:

Nice fish JGriffin!! Has anyone else had any luck out there? Was going to bring the little guy out tomorrow! ..will get bored easy so I’m hoping for any type of action !! Haha 

I’ve found it’s super hit or miss out there, stay between the landing and island/ice break whitefish and herring there. 

• Thanks 1

JGriffin
4 hours ago, PkdR said:

Thank you! And I was out today and got one lake trout and missed 3 lol it was rough , my buddy got 2 and lost a burbot. This year has been awesome the 2x I have been out. I was beyond the two ice ridges, prob 15 -20 min walk out or so. Might be a harder walk for your little one. But like it was mentioned before if you stay before the ice ridge there is still a chance at fish. Spoke to a one group and a smaller salmon was caught apparently not too far from shore. Hope you get out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im heading out silver harbour towards caribou tomorrow, never accesses out this way, any areas I should be watching for current etc? Or is it all pretty solid out there now? Thanks!