• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Domer

Walleye possession limit question

Domer

Hey fellow fisher people, I have a question that I have for you. Is there anywhere in ontario that has a possession limit higher than 4. I went through the zones and I didn’t see anywhere that said otherwise. I am trying to verify this as a friend believes that zone 4 or 6 has a possession limit of 6. Bell lake area near savant. 

• Like 1

Dirty Sanchenz

I'd look it up in the regs myself but I'm not that interested.

FishinFinn

Only 4 but can have an additional 2 if they are from another FMZ I believe. Check refs to be sure

• Like 1

medy

The possession limit for walleye in ontario is 6. This is listed on page 10 of the regs. This is different from the daily possession limit of 4 which is most zones, including zones 4/5/6. This means you can have 2 fish in you fridge/freezer and still go catch a daily possession of 4. You can at no time catch and keep 6 in a day. Sounds to me like a misunderstanding of regs

Zackcorbin1401

You would be able to catch 4 walleye in zone let’s say 6 with a possession limit of 4 then you would be allowed 2 walleye from a different zone because the provincial walleye limit is 6 At no time could you keep/ possess more then 4 walleye in day from a same zone. 6 walleye from the same zone would be illegal, and all of this you would need to be able to prove where it was caught if ever got checked and had 6 walleye in the freezer.

Zackcorbin1401
16 minutes ago, medy said:

The possession limit for walleye in ontario is 6. This is listed on page 10 of the regs. This is different from the daily possession limit of 4 which is most zones, including zones 4/5/6. This means you can have 2 fish in you fridge/freezer and still go catch a daily possession of 4. You can at no time catch and keep 6 in a day. Sounds to me like a misunderstanding of regs

If you have 2 fish from zone 6 in the freezer you can only go catch and keep 2 to make the zone 6 possession limit.

medy
8 minutes ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

You would be able to catch 4 walleye in zone let’s say 6 with a possession limit of 4 then you would be allowed 2 walleye from a different zone because the provincial walleye limit is 6 At no time could you keep/ possess more then 4 walleye in day from a same zone. 6 walleye from the same zone would be illegal, and all of this you would need to be able to prove where it was caught if ever got checked and had 6 walleye in the freezer.

Correct, I should have specified 6 from the same zone in the same day. As you said the being able to prove it is extremely hard though, so not really worth it in my opinion

mad scientist

Provincial limits cause a lot of people confusion.

There is one FMZ in Ontario where the catch and possession limit is greater than 4...it is 6 in FMZ 19 (Canadian waters of Lake Erie).  The way the fisheries regulations are set up in Ontario, the provincial limit has to be equal to the highest possession limit in the province.  As another example, the provincial limit for perch is 100, because of the exception on Whitefish Lake...that's the only place in the province with a limit that high.

Zack's description of the rules around having 4 in possession from one zone and 2 from another is correct; remembering that fish in the freezer count toward your limit, as do fish consumed in a shore lunch.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Gaulzilla
7 hours ago, mad scientist said:

Provincial limits cause a lot of people confusion.

There is one FMZ in Ontario where the catch and possession limit is greater than 4...it is 6 in FMZ 19 (Canadian waters of Lake Erie).  The way the fisheries regulations are set up in Ontario, the provincial limit has to be equal to the highest possession limit in the province.  As another example, the provincial limit for perch is 100, because of the exception on Whitefish Lake...that's the only place in the province with a limit that high.

Zack's description of the rules around having 4 in possession from one zone and 2 from another is correct; remembering that fish in the freezer count toward your limit, as do fish consumed in a shore lunch.

And fish you catch and give to your fishing buddy to count towards their possession limit count towards your catch limit of 4 :)

nunez

So if u pack back a limit at shore lunch u can’t bring home another 4 for dinner. Even if your buddy caught them for u. 🤫

mad scientist
13 hours ago, nunez said:

So if u pack back a limit at shore lunch u can’t bring home another 4 for dinner. Even if your buddy caught them for u. 🤫

If you're eating eight walleye in a single day you might want to get your mercury checked.

• Like 2

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Zackcorbin1401
14 hours ago, nunez said:

One of my biggest pet peeves. I absolutely hate when people eat their limit at the lake then take home another limit, it’s not right, it’s not fair it’s illegal  but I see it time and time again.

jjaws

The Walleye daily limits four (4) and the possession limits +2 six (6) are correct , but they both can be from the same fish zone that you fish (don't have to be from different zones) .

They must be from different trips thought .  Eg..If you fish Lake Superior (zone 9) (Black Bay) the daily limit is only two (2) from Bent island south , but your possession limit is still six (6) . 

There is also no mention about conservation licences possession limits been different either six (6) seems to apply . 

Your daily limit (when your out fishing) has to be the same as the zone allows 

Dirty Sanchenz

So if i fished 3 zones got 8 walleye, gave 2 away, ate one for shore lunch..............   OMG

Zackcorbin1401
8 hours ago, jjaws said:

The Walleye daily limits four (4) and the possession limits +2 six (6) are correct , but they both can be from the same fish zone that you fish (don't have to be from different zones) .

They must be from different trips thought .  Eg..If you fish Lake Superior (zone 9) (Black Bay) the daily limit is only two (2) from Bent island south , but your possession limit is still six (6) . 

There is also no mention about conservation licences possession limits been different either six (6) seems to apply . 

Your daily limit (when your out fishing) has to be the same as the zone allows 

No you can’t keep 2 from zone 9 one day and 2 the next day and 2 the next day The zone limit is 2 which means 2 walleye from that zone in your possession period.

• Like 1

oyo
7 hours ago, mad scientist said:

If you're eating eight walleye in a single day you might want to get your mercury checked.

Oh yikes 

• Like 1

Dirty Sanchenz

lol you guys are too funny. The regs are pretty clear.

Zackcorbin1401
1 minute ago, Dirty Sanchenz said:

lol you guys are too funny. The regs are pretty clear.

They are

FishinFinn

So if I catch one walleye on a Sunday, have three in the freezer on Tuesday but pull one out, eat that one and a northern, then catch two more that day. Then I have one walleye gifted to me on Wednesday but catch three more from another FMZ on Thursday. Wait ... how many can I have? 😬

I just take what we can eat without freezing it. Fresh is so much better anyway. And then I don’t need to worry about what I might have over my limit.

What really ticks me off is the guys that go catch a limit every Single day and give it away. I know it’s legal, but it really depletes the fishery for everyone else. 

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

wow.. just wow..u live in one zone.. limit is 4.. 

u can only have 6 if u fished and caught in a zone with 6 limit.

u can't keep 6 from 2 zones with a 4 limit . you cant be in possesion of more than 4. frozen alive minced smoked..don't matter.  its 4

• Like 2

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Dirty Sanchenz
3 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

They are

Yes I haven't noticed any issues, seems pretty simple. Seriously everything the ordinary fisherperson needs to know seems to be written clearly.

Zackcorbin1401
4 hours ago, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

wow.. just wow..u live in one zone.. limit is 4.. 

u can only have 6 if u fished and caught in a zone with 6 limit.

u can't keep 6 from 2 zones with a 4 limit . you cant be in possesion of more than 4. frozen alive minced smoked..don't matter.  its 4

You could keep 3 fish from 2 different zones to make a provincial limit of 6 if you wanted to legally yes as long as you aren’t breaking a zone limit . I myself in zone 6 today can go catch 4 walleye and in the same day drive to another zone let’s say zone 7 and catch 2 more.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

aight...I'm a stick with 4. I see how u reading it makes sense.

I read it as a possesion limit. not a right to obtain limit.

i always thought the limit is there to ensure  you arent in violation  if searched when you live in a zone with 2 limit but fished a zone with 6 limit. because 6 is provinces max in a zone.. some 5 or 2 as well i think.

next time im stopped ill get their wording

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Zackcorbin1401
31 minutes ago, Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin said:

aight...I'm a stick with 4. I see how u reading it makes sense.

I read it as a possesion limit. not a right to obtain limit.

i always thought the limit is there to ensure  you arent in violation  if searched when you live in a zone with 2 limit but fished a zone with 6 limit. because 6 is provinces max in a zone.. some 5 or 2 as well i think.

next time im stopped ill get their wording

I’d stick with 4 aswell.  I wouldn’t want to be out there trying to prove where I caught the fish.

Shawn

Could I buy 4 fish from the superstore for shore lunch eat them and still bring a limit of 4 home