• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Fishog

Smoke Day At My House

Fishog

Smoke day at my house. 
Two rainbow trout and two speckled trout.
Three day process. 
1st: let sit in brine\cure over night.
Soak in your own brine recipe for 12 hours at refrigerator temps . For more complete brining throughout, place a stainless steel or wooden grate over the top of the meat to hold it under the brine. Stir fish a few times during the brining process. The following brine recipe is included to get you started, but you are encouraged to experiment with your own salt/sugar, maple, honey, peppers, seasonings to develop your own. 
1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
2nd: After brining remove and let them sit in fridge over night.  This is called GLAZING
Place fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces DON’T touch each other. Dry in a cool, shady place until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch.  This allows the smoke to stick better. 
3rd: SMOKING
Apply smoke for as long as you like. I like lots. 
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

During the last step I apply a coating of maple syrup to give the fish that candy taste. 

VvJigUX.jpg

J6WtvNI.jpg

zM4OdVB.jpg

yY9ouea.jpg

UpDYNMF.jpg

vkMPsyE.jpg

5XmVHjQ.jpg

• Like 3

Thefishleclair

🍽️🤤

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

forkhorn

Well... I know what I will be doing this weekend. I will give your recipe a try!

• Like 1

Fishog
3 hours ago, forkhorn said:

Well... I know what I will be doing this weekend. I will give your recipe a try!

Really not my recipe but I have been using it for years. You can find it on the Bradley smoker forum. Many good posts and improvements over the years since it was posted. 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

Ever try putting bay leaf in your brine? Im not even sure what bay leaves really do period but ive seen lots of recipes with them and always included it. Your fish came out looking great! First few times i didnt leave it in air and didnt know about the pellicle, once i stopped skipping that step it was a real game changer to my final product. I have a couple whitefish that may have to come out for a hot boxin'.

• Like 1

naden

Looks delicious 

• Like 1

Fishog
14 hours ago, 2112 said:

Ever try putting bay leaf in your brine? Im not even sure what bay leaves really do period but ive seen lots of recipes with them and always included it. Your fish came out looking great! First few times i didnt leave it in air and didnt know about the pellicle, once i stopped skipping that step it was a real game changer to my final product. I have a couple whitefish that may have to come out for a hot boxin'.

No I have not tried adding bay leaves but I'm sure you could with no problem. There are so many different recipes out there I would need a freezer full of fish to try them all. 😉

This site has many recipes listed. 

https://justsmokedsalmon.com/recipes/smoking-brine/

crisop

What’s your address I’m on my way for a taste 

• Haha 1

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF