• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AB

Who's Zoomin Who?

AB

I had the chance to take a trip south of the border this week.

While I was in MN, I stopped at an outdoor toy store that sold Artic Cat snow machines, some outboard motors, trailers etc.

I asked the price on one of the snow machines, and was given a ridiculouly low price quote for the base price, plus the associated taxes and licensiing fees. It still came out to a ridiculus price compared to anywhere north of the border.

I thanked the sales lady and explained I was a Canuck, and was really just curious about the price difference.

She said that they (the US Dealers), have been "strongly discouraged" against selling new toys to Canadians, because of the crying our local dealers are doing since the currency went up. I asked if my money wasn't as good as someone from south of the border? Her reply was cash is cash, and as long as the cheque is going to clear, they want to sell stuff regardless of where the buyer lives.

Now comes the really interesting part.

According to the dealer, the parent companies of most of her merchandise are charging their Canadian dealers at up to 30% higher base prices on almost everything.

So when she orders a $100 item, it would cost a Canadian dealer $130 to put the same item in their shop. o she can sell it for $130 bucks and Mr Canadian Seller has to charge $160 to put the same $30 in his pocket.

Now we all like to blame the Candian dealers for unreasonable prices, but really how can they compete when they have to pay higher prices to start with, then add a yo-yoing currency exchange on top of that?

Maybe our prices aren't so unreasonable when you think about it. The Canadian dealers have to keep the heat and lights on after all.

But the question is, how do we get the local dealers playing on a level playing field with the competion south of the border? That way we can all benefit from prices low enough that we can afford to put Canadian gas in the new toys?

Remember, its your money, spend it where you want. I'm still going to try and keep as much of it in my pocket as I can.

But I was a little peeved to find out we can be gouged from two levels, and be discriminated against because of where we live in a so called "Free Trade" market place.

have an ice day!

iceman

Guest TerryK

I've known about this scenario for years and yes it is unfair, but the only way it can be changed is if the distributors drop their prices, which is not going to happen. Most of you that know me know I am Pro-Shop-Canadian but at 30 - 40% difference how can you blame someone for shopping in the US for big ticket items?

Jayfishin

I've known about this scenario for years and yes it is unfair, but the only way it can be changed is if the distributors drop their prices, which is not going to happen. Most of you that know me know I am Pro-Shop-Canadian but at 30 - 40 difference how can you blame someone for shopping in the US for big ticket items?

A buddy of mine was in the market for a new or almost new Lund boat. He shopped around below the border then approached a local Thunder Bay lund / yamaha dealer to see if they would meet him in the middle on the price off a very similar demo boat they had in stock. He was willing to pay alittle more to shop in town but all he got out of this dealer was 'that is the price take it or leave it' as well as this salesman telling him that 'he was one of those guys who is screwing the local businesses by going south to shop'.

Well once he heard this from the salesman he was 100% confinced to go for a drive and pick up his new lund in Minnesota....by the way he saved almost 10000 bucks.

Not saying that all recreational toy dealers in town are the same but unless they stay competive then my next boat upgrade will be from the US also...just check out walleyecentral.com/classified to see what you can pick up.

I try to buy local too but it all comes down to more dollars left in the pocket in the end. I don't mind paying a bit more if I get some good customer service for my investment but that also can be lacking once you walk out the door with your new toy locally.

Jay

grumpy

I just spent $4000 for something that I needed that I could have picked up for $3400 in the states.

I strongly feel the $600 extra that I spent was money well spent. The hassel of going to Rydens, the service issue...etc.

Everyone that is abandoning this community can go #$@^ themselves and move out of town.

Edit as of January 29 2008

Looks like I will be getting a rebate. The salesman pushed the sale back to the middle of Feb. so I will qualify.

Looks like I will save money by shopping in Canada.

Buck 120

I think the blame squarely goes on the distributor. Don't blame the consumer if they can save that amount of coin. The distributor is the one hurting our cities. And the distributors are Canadian too, such as Bombardier.

my 2 cents.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

AB

I think the blame squarely goes on the distributor. Don't blame the consumer if they can save that amount of coin. The distributor is the one hurting our cities. And the distributors are Canadian too, such as Bombardier.

my 2 cents.

Buck 120 got the point I was trying to make.

Now with the higher value of the Canadian dollar we should be seeing prices come down due to the increased "buying power". But if our local dealerships are being gouged 30% off the top it's no wonder prices are still high in our area.

I want to shop local, and prefer to shop local even if it cost's a few dollars more. A local business is going to be in a better position to bail me out of a mess when I buy something from them as opposed to something purchased in the states.

iceman

Guest Dan

I saved over $2500.00 buying my Lund package in Kenora, rather than Thunder Bay. The local dealer wouldn't budge a nickel. That was in 2001 when the US dollar value wasn't an issue. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!!

Guest TerryK

You wouldn't say that it it was 40% you were saving grumpy. My friend saved $12,000 dollars on a truck he bought in Minnesota. TWELVE THOUSAND dollars. Can you blame him? Would you pay that much extra for the same product? I say you were a liar if you said yes.

Like I said, I spend my money in Canada even if it's a bit more, but if I was looking for a big ticket item and I could save 30-40%, I don't care where it comes from.