• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Specfisher9095

Camping on nipigon

Specfisher9095

Hey all! I know it’s early to be talking about camping but I’m looking for some advice. 
I’m trying to plan a camping trip with me and my wife on nipigon in late June. I’m looking to do some fishing for trout wondering if I would have better luck fishing above pine portage dam or below. We will be sleeping in a tent is there any spots around suitable? Thanks guys I really appreciate it!! 

Zackcorbin1401

Lake Nip or the River?

Specfisher9095

Either or. Looking to launch from either pine portage or South Bay 

Fishog

Might get some useful info from this. These people took two single fiberglass sea kayaks. around Lake Nipigon.

https://www.paddlinglight.com/routes/lake-nipigon-kayaking-trip-report/

Also check out this site for maps.

https://www.nwoutdoors.ca/downloadable-resources/

therealfndeal

Contact Muzzy Odawa he maybe able to show you a few spots 

outofbounds

If going tent city, there are numerous locations available for the identified access locations listed. Pending size of your boat, a word of caution, be mindful of the wind when mooring for the night.

Several times last season we had to help groups get their boat off the beach as the waves had pushed their boat on to the beach to the point where they couldn't get it off the shore the next morning.

One instance took some ingenious rigging and three men and a hairy Azz boy to get the boat floating again, 24" fiberglass with full fuel and water tanks is a lot of weight to move.

Additionally, bear smarts.. .met a couple  that had intended to stay a week, on the  second day of their trip when they returned to their camp they found a bear had gone through their tent, in one side out the other and had emptied their coolers. Some locations both on the mainland and on the islands have bears that habitually visit known campsites due to the mess left behind by slobs. Which includes entrails and skeletons of fish not only on the beaches of the sites but at the launches as well. This applies to the north side of the lake just as well as the south. American branded cig packages and beer cans in many instances amongst the trash, one doesn't need to be Nancy Drew to figure that out. Pack it in,pack it out!!!

If your schedule allows, I would suggest both above and below Pine Portage. Again depending on the size of your boat, fuel capacity and/or interest from launching further up shore, the north end of the lake offers great fishing and less crowds in June.

Fishog
9 hours ago, outofbounds said:

Pending size of your boat, a word of caution, be mindful of the wind when mooring for the night.

I second that comment. I have never ever seen a lake that breaths like Lake Nipigon. You can go out in the morning and have the lake like glass and around noon the waves are so big I have seen tug boots look for cover. Stayed at the old Black Sands Provincial Park when it was still open and found my 14 foot full of water and sitting on the bottom of the lake shore from a wind storm that blew in over night. Only way was to use a large cooler and scoop fast in hopes it would start floating again which it did. 

AB

Great Point about mooring on Lake Nipigon. 

We've found that a two or three anchor system, with rope and modified bungee chords keeps the boat safely moored for both the waves and wind conditions.

Firmly anchor the bow pointed out and the back end several feet off the beach, tied off to shore or even anchored with the anchors out to the sides or towards the bow has kept us afloat on a few occasions. A little wading in the morning is a whole lot more refreshing than giving yourself a hernia.

Beautiful country up there, please help keep it that way.

AB

• Like 1