• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gone fishin'

Camouflage

gone fishin'

Perhaps a silly question, but some thing I have wondered as a non-hunter is- why bother with camouflage clothing and gear while hunting when you have to wear a bright orange vest so everyone can see you? I understand the safety of the orange, but what good is the camouflage, then?

Guest Patch

Archery and waterfowl hunters are exempt from wearing hunter orange. Maybe that's where your thoughts are coming from regarding the camoflage clothing?

Gone8to1248

As I've done some hunting in my time I always believed that animals see the color orange as gray different than what humans see it as. The orange is meant for other hunters to see you in a distance while wearing camo clothing that does blend in. Animals will see the camo and the orange/ gray as colors in the woods and when your not moving you will blend in. Camo is a good selling point but not the only thing that will get you and animal. Sound and smell also plays a key factor along with sight. Things that move fast and predictable kind of stands out in the woods.

Bill Arnott

I think it helps break up your profile.

You move your hands, arms, and face when sitting watching for animals. If these can be made less obvious your odds go up.I like a camo coat,gloves & mask with a quiet fleece blaze vest.

Used to use orange camo when it was legal and it worked well too. Like was said the members of the deer family see in grey. I think orange would still be pretty bright(white) to deer & moose though...

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Guest TerryK

I'm no expert, but I think it's more the large flat expanse of material that is easily seen by game animals than color. That's why blaze orange camo worked so well by breaking up the flat, smooth surface of a plain coat or vest.