• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
outofbounds

Choices??

outofbounds

The time has come to pull the trigger on a new fish/ski boat. Boat make and model selected, looking to bend the ear of this forum on pros/cons between Merc and Yamaha fourstroke outboards. Will be looking at a 200-225 hp for the main and 9.9-15 for the kicker.

From recent trips to the west coast for salmon, the lion's share of the fleets at the lodges and marinas had been powered by single or twin Yamahas followed by Merc and Suzuki. Where these units see 1000s of hours of run/troll time. Albeit saltwater, run time is runtime where downtime hurts the bottomline and reputation. Coming from loyal to Evinrude//Johnson two smoker ownership breaking into the fourstroke outboards what say you???

Bobber Down

Knowing the boat maker, model, weight etc etc and what you're going to use it the most for would be nice. Ski 10% fish 90% Ski 20% fish 80% etc. Someone on the forum may be able to give you a better answer. If you're buying from a local dealer they may give you a better deal as well, if you buy the motor from them as apposed to a diff dealer, if they don't sell both. Kinda like buying a new truck and asking if a 4cyl, 6cyl or 8 cyl would be best. Depends.....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

....the definition of the word "boat"...b-o-a-t...break-out-another-thousand...

outofbounds

Tyee 1975, for boat , primarily will be running Lake Nipigon and  the northshore of Superior on occasion. Ski would at most  be 10%, during peak of summer holidays for kids on a smaller inland lake,  tubes and ski. Will run the entire lake from various acces points, troll for down rigging and working various structure and points and tent city on islands. Running point a to b.

I will keep the tiller for fishing the rivers and tributaries.

Had a SeaRay I/O with a cuddy that was very well suited for run and gun on Lake Nipigon. Being this will be the last one, I figured we get one to cover more than one need.

A few dealers that I am  talking to carry both, Merc and Yamaha. Most are being brought in with the Merc options, but can spec Yamaha when I seal the order once I decide on a flavor. New to the fourstroke outboard world so was looking for what makes a Merc guy a Merc guy and same with the guys that are pro Yamaha. Why in both cases, for powerhead, fuel, bottom end and maintenance requirements, are they similar for both? Then there is the will you get service post purchase should it be required. Like mentioned, previously, ran omc outboards prior, due to dealer in town, and great parts and service if and when required beyond my skill and tooling level. Both Merc and Yamaha new to me.

naden

Never really heard anything bad about Yamaha. Like you said they seem popular with lodges. I have a 15 Yamaha 2 stroke and a 40 Yamaha 4 stroke. Also owned a 6 hp yamaha 4 stroke kicker at one point. Never had any issues and parts availability has been good. I’m sure any motor that is new will be fine. 

Fishog

Probably these days its just brand loyalty. Buddy of mine has a Yamaha 4 stroke and swears by it. Even will not buy any other oil unless it comes from the Yamaha dealer.

I owned a Merc years ago and although it was faster then most motors of the same HP it did not last. Guessing the 4 strokes are built better then the older Mercs.

I would say go with your best deal. 

Zackcorbin1401

I’m sure they are all good these days, depends what you look for in a motor and what’s most practical for you. A good warranty is also nice and I’m not sure what every brand offers, I know my mercury has 8 years of warranty on it, another important thing is going somewhere you trust to service the motor if there is any problems, I always had mercury and never any problems… yet, hope not!

Adrian

Really both are relatively equal.  Each will have their haters and lovers.  My suggestion is to go with the dealer you like best.  You will get the best experience when you are comfortable with the dealer.

AB

Go ask North Country or Intercity Power Sports, the Tbay Yamaha dealers about the availability of parts for when the Yamaha needs something. Then ask how fast they can get Merc parts.

No matter which one, sooner or later they need repairs. Hate to be stuck on shore while you are waiting for parts to come in.

A buddy has been trying to get a Yamaha 70 tiller here for two years....nothing available in Ontario. If he wants it bad enough he was told to go to the west coast and work out a deal. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love a Yamaha on the back if my boat if I was repowering.  But Mercs are a dime a dozen around here  and every boat dealer around the area has a couple of mercury certified techs in their shops.

Good luck!

AB

outofbounds

I do believe it will be Yamaha bolted to the transom of my new boat, local dealer pricing from T Bay from initial discussions are higher than MB, AB and US pricing for both turn-key package and components.

My home base is in the west. I am closer to more shops that service the west coast than those that service the great lakes. I have been pricing in MN, MT and ND as well. 

Warranty, service and as mentioned parts availability all key considerations. Thanks for the input. I will have an opportunity to run on two trips with boats having similar setups to what I am looking to purchase, one Merc one Yamaha in similar HP ranges, so I will have a good demo in real conditions to compare to. Post those trips I will finilize my decision. Reliability and longevity will be key, as mentioned by other forum members,  run time is key over shop time or waiting on parts.