• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

istyleonfish

Nipigon River Trip Planning

istyleonfish

Hello everyone on this forum. My dream is to catch my first ever salmon. Been thinking about it for years and researching as much as I could but this year I decided to really pull the trigger. It's a crazy trip for me but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get a salmon.

My plan is to try sometime in late August solo. I was thinking of trying the lower Nipigon to catch a salmon by trolling all day. If I get one, I plan to fish Jessie Lake (or wherever is best) to catch a brook trout for the remainder of the trip. Brook trout are not as high priority but would be really nice to catch.

Would it be advisable to get a guide? I would prefer if I can earn it without a guide but if the waters are difficult to navigate, maybe I have to. Also any recommended accommodations in the area? 

Zackcorbin1401

Salmon are in there year round, myself I would say best bet would be last week or two of august or first week or two of September! Busy place that time of year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snag???

&

• Like 1

Snag???

&

• Like 1

istyleonfish

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll get a downrigger as this is the only trip I'll ever need one. Was planning on flatlining. I'm also looking at doing the fishing during the weekday. Not sure how much that will help.

naden

I wouldn’t downrig on the river especially if you’re not familiar with it. End of august had less people than in September in my opinion. 

Snag???

&

kbrest

Im usually there doing scouting trips around this time. Probably going this weekend and this week. Usually either get a very black salmon, or an extremely fresh chrome. And big brookies in lower Nipigon as well.

a guide is never a bad idea, but if you just take your time, go slow and be smart you should be ok. Depending on water levels there is a certain way to navigate the river, not just for boating safety but trolling as well. Most of us that have fished that river for 20+ years or more, are aware of the major underwater messes of trees that get littered with raps every year. But some areas you have to flirt with the rock piles and current seams/breaks as thats where the fish sit.

When the water gets reeeeeeeally low, like a few years ago, the fish dont bite as much with all the boats trolling overhead, and offers some very cool and fun casting opportunities from the boat in areas near the launch and dam. When the water is really high, troll deep diving jointed husky jerks, or, or cranks and plugs as close to rocky shore as possible watching depth and for trees.

good luck

• Like 2

istyleonfish

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Seems a little daunting but also doable.

TerJr

I'm planning on heading out there this weekend too to get a look at things, I know its early for salmon, guess its a scouting trip and hopefully catch a few brooks. No boat for me, going to have be shore access areas. Good luck to everyone!

therealfndeal

Lots of the locals are catching now couple 20 lbers caught as well 

PkdR

I don’t believe a guide would be worth it, they’re most likely going to do exactly what you’re going to do. Just troll with raps as stated above and eventually you’ll get hooked up and realize why everyone loves going for them. Don’t be discouraged, many people spend hours on that river before they get a hook up, whether they admit it or not. Don’t be afraid to switch lures either. You’ll get one and good luck!!

• Like 1

kbrest

The ol man with an 18lb from today

IMG_6575.jpeg

• Like 2

TerJr

Awesome photos guys, I headed out this past Sunday, tried throwing spoons from shore near Alexander dam, saw a few boats out but no action for us. 

nic-herr
On 8/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Salmon are in there year round, myself I would say best bet would be last week or two of august or first week or two of September! Busy place that time of year

he is a guide for hire better then gord 

kbrest

I am also a guide for hire. Cheap rates. Payment accepted in the form of a case of OV. 😁
Ill have to take out a line of credit to go buy a J13 Rapala though…

Zackcorbin1401
22 minutes ago, kbrest said:

I am also a guide for hire. Cheap rates. Payment accepted in the form of a case of OV. 😁
Ill have to take out a line of credit to go buy a J13 Rapala though…

The J-13 is almost the same price as the case of OV now🤣 

TerJr

Anyone been trying their luck? I'm thinking of heading back next week. 

kbrest

Was there today. No salmon, caught two nice brookies and a walleye casting in the water near dam where the reef is in the early morning. Talked to a lot of guys on the river today that hadn't gotten any salmon today so for those who did great work. Didnt even see any surfacing today.

seemed like everyone was fishing clay banks today too, was busy down there.

Angler2847484
5 hours ago, kbrest said:

Was there today. No salmon, caught two nice brookies and a walleye casting in the water near dam where the reef is in the early morning. Talked to a lot of guys on the river today that hadn't gotten any salmon today so for those who did great work. Didnt even see any surfacing today.

seemed like everyone was fishing clay banks today too, was busy down there.

What did you catch the brookies on? 

PkdR

Was also there yesterday for about 4-5hours, maybe I talked to you. Had one hookup between me and the old guy but got off without getting a look at it. Will be back soon enough with hopefully better luck! 

kbrest

Was on my own, black Legend boat. Talked to a few guys passing by trolling so possibly!

kbrest
20 hours ago, Angler2847484 said:

What did you catch the brookies on? 

Storm firestick. Smelt colour with orange belly. That thing is killer.

• Like 1