• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

istyleonfish

Nipigon River Trip Planning

PkdR

Do people normally run a fluorocarbon leader when trolling for salmon in the river Or just run their regular main line right to the lure? 

Zackcorbin1401
14 hours ago, kbrest said:

Storm firestick. Smelt colour with orange belly. That thing is killer.

Had to let the secret out didn’t you!!!! Had a guy tell me that exact colour years ago and told me never to tell anyone…. I didn’t ;) It is killer I would agree

Zackcorbin1401
13 hours ago, PkdR said:

Do people normally run a fluorocarbon leader when trolling for salmon in the river Or just run their regular main line right to the lure? 

I would say it definitely depends on what your main line is. A heavy mono mainline you don’t need to add the flouro leader on the end but with braid I’d definitely put a heavy leader on of either mono or flouro just because of how hard they hit you gotta have a bit of stretch somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

Snag???

&

kbrest
22 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Had to let the secret out didn’t you!!!! Had a guy tell me that exact colour years ago and told me never to tell anyone…. I didn’t ;) It is killer I would agree

Haha same exact thing happened to me, and I never said a word… but seeing as there was empty shelf for that colour at DnR, Nipigon Canadian tire, and both CT in Thunder Bay, i think secrets out. They still have to know where to find where the brookies sit though 😏

kbrest
On 8/24/2023 at 7:38 PM, PkdR said:

For the rod I bring to cast I run braid to a heavy fluoro leader.

For trolling i run straight braid to a heavy duty crank snap, then adjust my drag accordingly. The salmon do hit HARD, but if your geared up well and drag set, they will smash it and run burying the hook, then Its usually just a small jerk in the rod to make sure the hooks set really well. The fluoro leader is never a bad idea, Ive just never had one break my line with straight braid as long as your drags set properly…and your knots are tied well. 

• Like 1

istyleonfish

Well day one didn't produce anything. Trolled all day without a strike. Nearly sank the boat due to not putting the plug in and hitting a rock from carelessness. Got surveyed and there were like 3 fish caught all day between probably 15 boats.

Well tomorrow is another day.

istyleonfish

Well day 2 I managed a walleye and a rainbow trout. I was told that rainbows were pretty uncommon in the lower Nipigon. Saw some other boats catch salmon.

Today I hooked into something that took 300' of line. I tried to reel it in when it tired but it shook the hook. Unfortunately that's the end of my attempt at the Nipigon. Had the right idea towards the end but it was a humbling experience.

• Like 3

TerJr
3 hours ago, istyleonfish said:

Well day 2 I managed a walleye and a rainbow trout. I was told that rainbows were pretty uncommon in the lower Nipigon. Saw some other boats catch salmon.

Today I hooked into something that took 300' of line. I tried to reel it in when it tired but it shook the hook. Unfortunately that's the end of my attempt at the Nipigon. Had the right idea towards the end but it was a humbling experience.

Hey dude, thats still good work. That must have been a monster that ran free. Still an epic story to tell and better than my attempts chucking crap into the Nipigon. I get humbled almost every time I go fishing.

• Like 1

Snag???

&