• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Warren807

Access to Lakes for potential Kayak Angling

Warren807

Hey all,

I’m a walleye fisherman interested in hitting some tougher to reach walleye lakes with a powered fishing kayak and all terrain kayak cart in the spring. I’m not looking for tonnes of Walleye, but more for the experience and the get out and explore the area. I’m looking for the information before I go and purchase this set up.

The other reason for the kayak set up is that I do have 2 newer larger boats, but nothing I would or could take into or size of boat I could even get into a tough to reach lake. (16 foot side console with a 50 and a 20 foot tournament boat with a 250).

I’ve lived in the area quite sometime, but I grew fishing around Ear Falls and Red Lake (home area). Everyone I seem to meet here always says to go to Lac Des Milles Lac or they fish Lake Superior. And let’s just say I was spoiled growing up fishing Walleye on Lac Seul where I’m used to pulling 40-60+ walleyes a day . Lac Des Mille Lacs seems like it’s fished right out compared to what I’m used to.

Some have suggested lakes off Boreal Road.

Any information would gladly be appreciated. Again I’m looking to explore some harder to reach lakes that have great walleye fishing.

Thank you.

Bobber Down

Welcome to the site.

You dont say if your looking for lakes for day trip info, weekend, weekly experiences, whether you have a 4x4 or an atv of some sort, but what you are searching for is nothing new to fishermen and women living in and around T Bay. Many look for the solitude that a kayak or canoe will bring. Many have been doing it around here for 60 plus years.

Being spoiled as you say from fishing Lac Seul and area not sure if the experience will match the effort involved close to town. If you want road access somewhere and then pull a powered kayak along a trail into a lake with great Walleye fishing..........good luck with that. No one will post that info here if it exists.

There are options but most are not day trips. More information is needed

• Like 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Warren807

Thank you for your response and the welcome.

Not looking for an exact matched walleye experience, more to get out and explore this area. The few that have given me info have said if I want the good walleye fishing I’ll have to go exploring. I have a 4x4 truck and I’m okay with making long haul, weekend or overnight trips. But if there is no information to be offered, I will figure it out. I’ve been reading lots of other forum posts on here and I’ve got some good info already.

I’ve learned a lot about being a fisherman by just going and doing it, learn the hard way maybe. Some lakes were fun to get into, some not so much. But that’s also how I’ve found some of the best lakes in the past.

Just figured I would throw a line out there to see if anyone could give any info at all. You’ll never get a deal if you never ask for one, haha.

Thank you again for your time. Take care.

Bobber Down

Many of us on the forum did what you want to do 50 plus years ago. Good options are the Graham area or off hwy 811 up hwy 527. For sure you will need to do some portaging to get into great Walleye fishing. Easier and lighter to portage a canoe (think Sportspal) than a powered kayak. Might be cheaper to buy one as well if you are currently of a mind to do some exploring. Satellite imagery of areas and river systems that might interest you are a good source of info as well as Canoe sites like

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=108 

will help as well. Lots of trip reports. One resource I used was to take a sightseeing trip out of the Thunder Bay Flying Club and check out the area and the rivers and lakes from the air that interested me. You could share the cost with three friends or not. A up to date birds eye view of conditions is valuable instead of old, not sure or incorrect info you might get elsewhere.

I'm sure you will get some more help from forum members.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

MetalFishing

Chambers is off boreal and attached to a couple other spots. There’s a trail in for your kayak power cart and if you want to camp there’s a nice point on the left once you get to the edge of the lake 

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

I used to do rather well in Jolly Lake.  Park outside the MNRF Ranger Station gates.  There was a good trail down to Rinker Lake.  The 400 metre trip to the lake discourages most..  I got a 24 lb. Northern in the lake just W. of Salmi Lake...

Jolly Lk. June 12 2002 008.jpg

• Like 1

Warren807

Thank you guys so much for that information.

Just looking for a new experience and to explore. Not afraid to put some work in, get dirty and/or stay the night.

This is all great information to get me started.

Fishog

As mentioned above Chambers is a great option. Not to hard to get to and close to town just off Boreal Road. . Also opens up other options like Blunder and McGrath lakes all with average size walleyes. 

screenshot-www.brmbmaps.com-2023.11.01-14_44_07.png

eyelander

Yes, been into those quite a few times. Nice eater walleye's, although I did get a 6 lb. walleye 30-35 years ago in Chambers through the ice. Surprised the heck out of us, LOL!!! And every time I/we went, the walleye were in a completely different part of the lake from the year(s) before, almost had to circle the lakes to find them. Success was better in Chambers & McGrath, Blunder was always spotty for us.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance