• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FishinFinn

Trophy Fish

FishinFinn

Alright everyone, thought I would start a discussion topic for fun as I was debating this one the other night. What’s everyone’s personal opinions on keeping a potential world record fish if you were to catch one? Hypothetical, but maybe not! It’s worth considering your stance on this in advance so you know what you’d do if the moment were to ever arise. I know there are a lot of opinions on this one, so let’s hear them. 

Zackcorbin1401

If I know forsure it’s World record size… I’m getting that weighed up and certified to be the new world record and put my name in the book but since it’s so absolutely highly positively unlikely for that to ever happen for me in 1000 years I would take some measurements and release the fish(if in good condition) and have a replica mount done, they are awesome and will last a lifetime without ever peeling or fading like most skin mounts that look horrible after a number of years… the downside is they are extremely expensive(my walleye was over 1200$ from advanced). Big fish should go back in the water. Thats what I think but I’m sure most people would have it bonked before they could even pull the stringer out.

Zackcorbin1401
30 minutes ago, FishinFinn said:

Alright everyone, thought I would start a discussion topic for fun as I was debating this one the other night. What’s everyone’s personal opinions on keeping a potential world record fish if you were to catch one? Hypothetical, but maybe not! It’s worth considering your stance on this in advance so you know what you’d do if the moment were to ever arise. I know there are a lot of opinions on this one, so let’s hear them. 

What do you think about the topic?

FishinFinn

I am torn on it. I get why you’d want to keep a world record size. However, I just don’t understand keeping real big fish. But if it’s legal then I won’t judge someone else for their decision. I wouldn’t eat it, so why keep it? Take measurements and photos and let it go. There are world records for catch and release categories and I think that would be more appealing to me. 

Zackcorbin1401
6 hours ago, FishinFinn said:

I am torn on it. I get why you’d want to keep a world record size. However, I just don’t understand keeping real big fish. But if it’s legal then I won’t judge someone else for their decision. I wouldn’t eat it, so why keep it? Take measurements and photos and let it go. There are world records for catch and release categories and I think that would be more appealing to me. 

That is the single one and only time I would possibly keep a large fish because they have gotta go back but the probability of it happening is practically 0 so I feel safe to say it…but even then I’d judge myself to no end and I already judge myself if I keep a 17” walleye… not judging anyone but myself legal is legal.

John Y

Good question. But as much as I value releasing trophy fish to maintain excellent fisheries, if I have good reason to think I've got the world record fish, I'm keeping it. Being in the record book would be really cool. And yes, you're taking an amazing fish out of a fishery, but it's been passing on its genetics for a long time already. Taking one super-giant fish out of a fishery doesn't ruin it. And I would have no hard feelings towards anyone who thought they had a world record fish doing the same.

• Like 1