• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

seppi

In the news!!!

seppi

:angry2::angry2: Thunder Bay couple in the news Today !!!

[attachmentid=34] Attachment !!

Seppi

post-18-1162651932_thumb.jpg

Guest Big Moose

GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY Some people won't be satisfied until there are no fish left to catch and were all up poopy poop creek fishing for suckers.

Gone8to1248

How did they know the fish were inthe freezer? Before they did the search? Were the fish all caught at one time or legally caught over a period of time? There are Pro's and Con's to posession Limits. Hypothetically you have the time to go fishing everyday and you do. You catch 5 fish a day and fish 25 days out of the month, thats 125 fish a month and you fish 9 months out of the year. That comes up to 1125 fish you've taken for the year. Now we take 2 people taking 2 fish each a day for 6 days for the year that comes up to 24 fish for the year to feed on. Now who becomes the greedy one? The article left to many blank spots to call them anything except dumb for breaking the law. Some laws tend to be to broad a spectrum sometimes and catchs the not so guilty with the real outlaws. If someone had thier years limit of walleyes in the freezer and didn't use them or dumped them before the next season began then they should loose thier fishing privledges all together for life.

Bill Arnott

How did they know the fish were inthe freezer? Before they did the search? Were the fish all caught at one time or legally caught over a period of time? There are Pro's and Con's to posession Limits. Hypothetically you have the time to go fishing everyday and you do. You catch 5 fish a day and fish 25 days out of the month, thats 125 fish a month and you fish 9 months out of the year. That comes up to 1125 fish you've taken for the year. Now we take 2 people taking 2 fish each a day for 6 days for the year that comes up to 24 fish for the year to feed on. Now who becomes the greedy one? The article left to many blank spots to call them anything except dumb for breaking the law. Some laws tend to be to broad a spectrum sometimes and catchs the not so guilty with the real outlaws. If someone had thier years limit of walleyes in the freezer and didn't use them or dumped them before the next season began then they should loose thier fishing privledges all together for life.

There is no difference in Ontario between catch and possession limits. Your daily limit is your total limit...period! This is in place to prevent this type of behavior. If they had this many fish in the freezer - how many did they consume before being caught? These are the same type folks who make multiple trips to a lake daily when the bite is on to "get their share before everyone else gets them". They were probably caught because they were shooting their mouths off about how they'd be eating fish all winter without having to go out in the cold and were overheard by someone who cares about preserving our natural resources. Good on them and hats off to the judge for imposing a meaningful fine. I hope a suspension of angling priviledges was also included. :excl:

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

eyelander

Gone8to1248, as slick willy says, there are limits. We have a daily and possession limit. I can catch my 4 fish(walleye), and keep them. If I do not eat any, and go fishing the next weekend, I cannot keep any, as I have 4 kept fish in my freezer(possession limit). I can catch 40 of them if I am lucky to do so, but cannot keep any until I eat some of them. If I eat two, then the next weekend I can only legally keep two, because I already possess two in my freezer.

And like slick said, they probably got caught because they said something, or boasted about their having fish "stacked up like cordwood" in the freezer for the winter.

I personally don't see any blank spots in this article. They did have more than their daily and possession limit in the freezer for the occupants of the house, and were fined accordingly.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Big Moose

This is why it is called a CATCH&POSSESSION LIMIT if the limit is 4 walleye then you can only have 4 walleye in your possession,your possession includes your fridge,freezer,frying pan,pockets,car or truck.POSSESSION get it.

Guest loggerpete

Yeah uumm thats a little to much.I`m glad they got caught and the fines are just right.

My opinion is that I`d rather see it back to six a day but thats fine by me cause I bring the wife so that gives us more than enough and I can always go ice fishing in the winter.

Some of these limits like Lake Nipigon for Brook trout are in my opinion arew over board and that stops me from

going to Nipigon river for one trout.If thats what its intended to do than I think its working.The steelhead size limit also blows and I know a few guys who catch and keep under size Steelhead but keep the number to two a day.I don`t report them cause I don`t agree with the size limit.I see a guy keepin more than that then he`s busted cause I`ll make the call.I have yet to see anyone keep more than two.

I`ve been caught with oversize bass once cause I didn`t know there was an early season size limit and you pay the fine an learn your leason.The officer that pulled us over was perfect gentlman and he was just doin his job.

grumpy

Yeah uumm thats a little to much.I`m glad they got caught and the fines are just right.

My opinion is that I`d rather see it back to six a day but thats fine by me cause I bring the wife so that gives us more than enough and I can always go ice fishing in the winter.

Some of these limits like Lake Nipigon for Brook trout are in my opinion arew over board and that stops me from

going to Nipigon river for one trout.If thats what its intended to do than I think its working.The steelhead size limit also blows and I know a few guys who catch and keep under size Steelhead but keep the number to two a day.I don`t report them cause I don`t agree with the size limit.I see a guy keepin more than that then he`s busted cause I`ll make the call.I have yet to see anyone keep more than two.

I`ve been caught with oversize bass once cause I didn`t know there was an early season size limit and you pay the fine an learn your leason.The officer that pulled us over was perfect gentlman and he was just doin his job.

The size limit for steelhead are only for 2 rivers and 1 creek in Thunder Bay. Everywhere else in our district it is one fish. Thats one 12 inch fish or one 28 inch fish.

There is a size limit and 1 brook trout for our district as well for all tributories that flow into lake superior upto the boundry. NOT JUST THE NIPIGON RIVER. This rule needs to be inforced a little better at least get some signs up or something.

QUESTION WHERE IS THE BOUNDRY ON THE CURRENT RIVER?

ONCE THE DAM IS GONE ON THE BS THAT MEANS ONE BROOK TROUT OVER 22 INCHES FOR THAT WHOLE SYSTEM AS WELL.

THE INFORMATION ABOVE MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT. I LET THEM ALL GO SO I AM NOT FLUENT ON THE RULES. PLEASE CONSULT THE MINISTRY OR THE REGULATIONS BEFORE YOU KILL A BROOK TROUT.

Gone8to1248

Blank spots in the article? I didn't read in it that they were caught because they were bragging that they had them in the freezer. That is only an assumption on everyones part. I didn't read in the article that these same people would keep going back out on the same day and catch more fish and bring them home with them. That again is an assumption. And thanks for the defintion for Possession Big Moose, but I did know what it meant and why it is in place. Now lets throw out a real hypothetical one for you all to mull over. Lets say in your fishing carrier you catch 5 trophy fish and have them mounted and hang them on your wall. Does that now mean you can only ever have 5 fish in your freezer at any one time? As someone so nicely put it , possession means possession! Or now do we have a different set of rules? Let me ask this. If youare legally able to catch 1000 walleyes in a fishing season, how many people would pay an extra fee to keep them in there freezer as log as they were eaten before the next season began. I believe there is a closed season at some point for walleyes up there during the course of the year. As far as one turnning thier head when someone is breaking the law because they don't nessescarly agree with the law is really thier choice. I think a better thing to do is to try and get the law changed to what you think is more suitable.

NWO Fishing Bum

Great question Bernard! Does a skin mount count in your posession limit? I have had numerous conversations with C.O.'s, and they admit to "grey areas" with regard to the INTERPRETATION of the regulations in different unique circumstances. I pretty confident that nowhere in the regulations is this aspect addressed.

Moose . . . you have to calm down, or you'll be way over the top when the cabin fever starts setting in heavy in February. Believe me, we see it on here every year about the same time. One must admit, there are details missing in that short description, which don't change the nature of the crime or the punishment, but would be interesting to note. Bernard, C.O.'s have much more flexibility when entering places to conduct their investigations than do the police. If you have fishing rods, that's enough "just cause".

NWO Fishing Bum

Some Old Guy

The definition of pssesion is well explained here.

The reason for the possesion is simple. It's there to protect our fisheries. Sure there MAY be a few people who go out every day and eat their limit on every single outing. But they are forced to go out every single day on the water and catch their limit. Now if we didn't have a daily catch and keep limit these people would only have to go out for a few days and fill their freezers IF the fishing was that good. They would also go catch their friend's, relatives and who ever's limit for them so they all have fish in the freezer. It would be out of control. That's why the limit. Control.

As for the mounting of trophy fish. It's only the skin. The part you dispose of and is not usable and an acceptable practice to throw it in the garbage. Therefore not counted and a part of your limit.

As for replicas hmmmmm Maybe there is a possesion limit on those! :lol::lol:

As for the fines. They problably yapped about it and someone made a call about it. They deserved what they got.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Gone8to1248

NWO and Roger thanks for the nice postings. My comments aren't meant to start a war just to start a conversation. I agree with the rules for most part and there is a lot of "Grey Area" in some of them. They also change so fast at times, that it's easy to get caught doing something your not even aware of as in LoggerPetes case. They say that "Ignorance is no excuse for the law, but then if we all knew the laws that well we would all be lawyers! How many guys actually carry a Fishing regulations Book and all updated changes out fishing with them? Is there a possession limit on deer and moose meat that you can have in your possession at one time? And if so how would they know if it all came from the same animals. Would hate to have C.O.'s sitting in my house trying to put a moose back together like a jig saw puzzle!

And because someone has a fishing pole gives the C.O.'s the "Probable Cause" to search your house is like in the old days when the police stopped you and you had a screw driver and a prybar in your truck they could hold you on possession of "Burgulary Tools"and you were a carpenter by trade. I wouldn't call that "Probable Cause" I would call it an excuse. Lets for the sake of argument someone calls the C.O.'s and tells them John Doe has 20 walleye in thier freezer and they search your home and there isn't any fish there. What recourse do you have to sue? Seems funny that C.O.'s have more latitude to protect a fish than the police have to protect your life!

Some Old Guy

Yes it seems that they can do a search at any time now. C.O.'s act on many phone in tips. If you don't have anything in your house then I'd say maybe sue the person who called on you? I don't know.

As for the moose and deer meat they would just DNA sample every piece to confirm it came from the same animal. They utilize very expensive detection methods and fine the person .05% of the cost of the detection method. Maybe the alleged person should pay up for the expenses incured to the MNR if they are convicted. Much the same as if you are caught setting a forest fire. You could be charged the costs in putting it out.

Also with the moose. Now we have to determine party hunting where everyone in the party gets a portion of the moose. Now in my party we have three tags to fill. Now it gets complicated as we would all have portions of different moose in our freezer. Never mind if we had any left over from last year!!!!

And now deer tags............My head is a spinnin'!

Roger

Guest Big Moose

Yeah I guess I got heated for a minute there probably from getting stuck doin laundry instead of deer hunting,As for my moose trip my partner ended up having truck trouble so I guess thats excusable...Did end up getting out for an hour or two saw 1 large buck on the road within city limits ofcourse and two does after dark theres always tommorrow if the wife has no more plans for me.he he he :D

Guest Dobsey

Could they possibly make a rule for every licensed fisherman in a household, so it isn't every person in the house hold, so it can't even be children who dont even need a license just for every licensed fisherman, be able to have double the limit fish stored in the freezer therefor for the people who may not be able to get out for a while or all winter they have a small supply for when they are not able to get out for a long period of time due to injury or work etc. However I guess that could lead up to catching double your limit in one day and there are probably a few other flaws in that idea to. It was just an idea though.

They got what the deserved though thats not even a have some in the frezzer and forgetting how many were frozen and going 2 or 3 over combined for both of them. Im assuming $200 for each fish over the limit.

Guest Big Moose

I kinda have to agree with Dobsey here for this would be a sort of a good plan to up the in home possession limit because there are instances like the point you brought up about being injured or just not having the ability to get out in winter,I know there are times like Hockey Night in Canada or the Superbowl where I like to put on a beast feast if you will,A little walleye some deer or moose sausage and beer lots of beer and an extra COUPLE of fish in the freezer would be nice seeing how the boyz and myself are all 250 plus pounders and we can eat.But as you said there would be flaws in that too because some folks don't know when to say when.

Some Old Guy

Ahh the beast feast! I love those. Although I go through copious amounts of moistened toilet paper the next day. Thank God for Baby Wipes with Aloe!

Roger

Gone8to1248

I have a question for you guys up there that have kids. Can your kids go fishing and keep fish if the parents don't have a fishing license? Or do any fish the kids catch count against the parents license? So if both parents have a current license and they have 2 kids that fish would you be allowed to have a limit times 4 of fish in your freezer at a time? Somewhere I once read in your rules that a kid can only fish if a parent has a valid license and the kids fish counts against the parents license limit. I'm not sure if that was for non-residents only.

I'm sure at sometime or another you have been out fishing with a group and to finish catching a limit that would be covered by the size of the group someone has caught 6 fish while his buddy only caught 4. The spirit of the law was kept by only taking 10 fish but the letter of the law was broken by the person keeping his 6th fish. I have seen this done by americans and canadians both. How about the people that are out fishing and stop for a shore lunch on a couple of fish and then still bring home a full limit per person.

As far as upping the possession limit for in your freezer to say a total of 10 fish per lisence wouldn't be a flaw, because the sme people that broke the law at a limit of 5 fish would probrably break the 10 fish limit also. The ones that obey the 5 fish limit would also follow the 10 fish limit. Then again how many people that you know that fish don't keep any fish at home at all.

Some Old Guy

Kids do not require a fishing licence until they are 18. When fishing with kids they are allowed to keep one limit. As for catching someone else's limit, it's called party fishing which is illeagle.

I know party fishing goes on and I haven't heard of anyone being busted for it but there is a law against it.

We have to remember that those little reg books we pick up are only a summary to a much bigger book that goes into much more detail. That's why they are called a summary.

Roger

Guest Big Moose

I'm going to check the official ruling on that.And there we have it thanx to our in house GURU thanx Roger ya made that easy for me.As for guys having no fish in the freezer I know I don't have any right now thats why I'm so horny to get out 1-2 more times,For the late season hawgz.

Guest Dan

it's called party fishing which is illeagle.

Roger. An illeagle is a sick bird. Illegal is something that's against the law. And you have a pm.

By the way, very interesting thread guys.

Some Old Guy

Ahh yes tis is a sick bird. Huked on foniks werkd fer my!

I also answered your PM.

Roger