• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

No Moose, I wonder why!

Guest Wes

In another thread someone made mention of the increased number of bears being the cause of the decline in moose population. I don't dispute that at all but I do believe there is another cause and probably takes the lions share of the blame.

deer.jpg

deer2.jpg

Holy balls! which one do I shoot?

I got those in an email. The email said this was shot in Oliver somewhere. As for the validity of the email, your guess is as good as mine. Either way this shows the numbers that are out there. It is these numbers that are driving the moose away, not to mention the disease they bring with them. Most of us are aware of the numbers out on the mission. In my opinion that is a time bomb waiting to blow.

Any other theories why the moose are declining?

Some Old Guy

Wow!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Happyjack

These deer do get around. Oliver Piapoonge and Oliver Lake the third and fourth stop on their current tour (according to my email collection).

This picture just screams Upper Peninsula, not Oliver - township or lake. Look at the fire numbers on the tree: Oliver Piapoonge has blue and Neebing Townsip has smaller red ones.

Scotty

Guest BannedCore

I know that the increase in the deer population is having an effect on the moose. One thing that makes me think that the bears are playing a big role in the matter is the lack of calves. It seems that most of the moose population is mature adults and other guys I talked too are noticing this trend as well. There is a video out there showing a bear pulling on a calf moose while the cow is trying to give birth. I have not seen it but have only seen 2 calves in the last 2 years. Yikes.

Guest TerryK
These deer do get around. Oliver Piapoonge and Oliver Lake the third and fourth stop on their current tour (according to my email collection).

This picture just screams Upper Peninsula, not Oliver - township or lake. Look at the fire numbers on the tree: Oliver Piapoonge has blue and Neebing Townsip has smaller red ones.

Scotty

lol, yeah I have seen it a couple of times as well! It's gotten so you can't believe just about anything you see online unless you were there yourself to witness it. Also note, that the homeowner is putting feed out which will obviously increase the local herd, where ever it is.

As far as local deer/moose populations go, indeed deer numbers are a factor, but lets not forget that moose thrive in a more mature forest than deer prefer and with all the timber cutting of older forest areas there is simply less suitable habitat for moose and more for deer. Add increased predation by the overpopulation of black bear and you have a stressed moose population.

randomheroj

last hunting season in 12B i saw 4 sets of cows and calves thats the most i have ever seen in that area, but badly to say they all got shot because of where they were standing ( on the side of the road) but also i have seen the number of deer and bears also sky rocket in this area. The first day of Gun deer season i stumbled upon 8 does in a group just laying down then i scared them up, but i did not see any bucks :angry: the wolves around there to have gone up...