• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bighotdog

SMELTS, smelts, smelts, and smelts yummy yummy

Bighotdog

Well I know I am a bit early this year but just a reminder to everyone that if you at anytime hear of the smelts running can you please please pretty please post it for us to see. Last year was excellent I believe our members name is Domenic and he posted that he had been out the night before and did well. I decided to go out the next night and did extremely well myself. So if anyone hears about them please feel free to let us know. I will do the same for everyone as well.

Some Old Guy

Ummmm BHD,

Ummmm..... I just can't quite picture it but I'm really, really trying to........ Nope I just can't do it.

* if you at anytime hear of the smelts running*

I hate to sound, you know, stupid, but don't smelts swim?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest TerryK

When the are running heavy boy do their little sneakers make a racket!! (Sorry, Roger started it!)

Bighotdog
Ummmm BHD,

Ummmm..... I just can't quite picture it but I'm really, really trying to........ Nope I just can't do it.

* if you at anytime hear of the smelts running*

I hate to sound, you know, stupid, but don't smelts swim?

Roger

Hey why do your feet smell and your nose run. Oh and why does Macs have locks on there doors if they are open 24hrs. Oh and why do they give you a lifejactet on planes instead of parachutes, like as if you will survive the crash in the water. HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gone8to1248

I wonder why they can make a little black box on an airplane that is indestructable? I would rather be on a plane built that way and then you wouldn't need a little black box! But back to the original post; I think something smelts fishy about these jokes! :P

Guest Patch

A train station is where trains stop, so what are you supposed to do at a work station?

Bear

IF - if's and but's were candies and nuts, would every day be Christmas?

Bear

Bighotdog
IF - if's and but's were candies and nuts, would every day be Christmas?

Bear

Cmon guys I'm still waiting for the word. Are they running yet or not , I seen the rivers overflowing today so it is a comingggggggg.Ya Baby Ya baby.

Guest TerryK
Cmon guys I'm still waiting for the word. Are they running yet or not , I seen the rivers overflowing today so it is a comingggggggg.Ya Baby Ya baby.

You have to be kidding right? I say at least 3 weeks before the smelts run. Most rivers are locked solid.

Some Old Guy

That's just water pouring over the ice. Still locked right up. Like Terry said. 3 weeks at least.

Roger

Guest TLR @ LDML

Hey fellow sportsmen and sportswomen, cool topic! This is very important info as to when they start to "run", as it seems they do not "run" for very long. Maybe the short legs has something to do with it. Anyway, it would be great to get atleast a gallon bucket full. They are tastey little buggers! Has anyone ever tried pickling them? or canning them or smoking them? Good to hear the updates on when the rivers start to open.

Some Old Guy

I've tried smoked smelts. They are pretty good. Never thried the canned or pckled ones though.

Roger

Domer

The smelts are not running as of yet and I don't expect them for at least another two weeks. My only advice to the smelt fisherman is not to wait until weekends to try for the smelts as you may miss the main run. I will let everyone know like I did last year.

Thanks

Domenic.

Guest _TY87_

I'm glad someone started this post!

I remember last year... a few of us hit up Mackenzie a day after the full moon (or the day of, I can't exactly remember)... but they were running like mad that night. I think the full moon is sometime next week so I hope to take a run down to see how things are going (if this nice weather keeps up I'm sure it won't be much longer!).

Keep everyone posted if you venture out!

FishOrDie

full moon is this weekend i think, i may give it a try then.

Guest loggerpete

Right on man,I haven`t gone for smelts since the 80`s. Which river would be the best to try? I only tried twice at the neebing and Mckenzie. :rolleyes:

Guest TerryK

Geeze you guys are worse than steelheaders! lol

I'm pretty sure most river mouths are socking in with ice, and even if it does go, doesn't the water have to warm up a bit for smelt to start their spawning run?

fisherdude

i always remember it being warmer at nights...and no ice? i think ur right on this one terry. a little early

Guest graeme

I heard that the smelts are running on Manitulin Island. I’m not sure how much earlier the run is down there, but I thought I’d let you all know.

crisop

probably at least 1 more week, because last yr i was in TO for 1 month at this time and missed both steelhead and smelts

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest Sloss

I was on Manitoulin Island this past weekend and did not find any smelts running, usally they are a week or two ahead of superior runs. When I lived in Thunder Bay 1999-2005 I would talk to my Dad on the Island and when the run was all over (and the run last usally 1.5-2weeks on the island) Thunder Bay would start to answer your question to how much earlier they run. But usally it is water temp of the river and how fast the river is running if the water is clear etc. And I was out this week earlier in the Sault area, Pancake, Goulais, Chippewa etc. and the water is all too high, muddy, cold and fast here anyways. We need somemore warm weather and a good rain would help.

I think we are still a week away around here, could be wrong just have to keep checking.

Guest _TY87_

Was out at Mackenzie last night to check it out - very icy and no good spots so didn't stay too long.

They are running at the Marina (but slow). Probably could have filled half a bucket in an hour or so... if not a little longer. Definitely won't be a few more weeks as they are already here... I'm going back to check things out tonight and perhaps tomorrow.

Will keep everyone posted.

Guest ice1975man

Myself I am probably gonna try in the next few nights too and see, will let ya know and hope others will do the same incase I dont get out. ;)