• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bighotdog

SMELTS, smelts, smelts, and smelts yummy yummy

Guest BigTrout

WOW........... Went out Friday night, between 11:30 and 1 am and they were running hard................. hard to catch! We caught a whopping 3 of them. Yes 3 whole smelts, all males. And 1 baby salmon......... 2 inches........ fried him up and fed the kids (ok, we let him go of course).

Oh well.......... maybe tonight!

post-493-1209211409_thumb.jpg

crisop

hey don't feel bad i went out from 12:30-1:30 and caught 5 of them, everyone else seemed to be in the same boat too

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

crisop

too cold and i'm thinking at least a week early still

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest loggerpete

Did good Wednesday night,half an hour half a bucket.Wanted to go before the rain came in. 11:30pm till 12:00 am

Noticed a lot of very young leeches in the bucket as well.Gonna try for Steelies after this rain stops and the water goes down a bit.

I was surprised at how few people were at Mcvikars

Bighotdog

I got the call to go out on Thursday night and by the time we got out there it was 1145 smelting was slow for about 45minutes then I see this guy across the river pulling out quarter of a net each swipe. So I do the good italian thing and I wait till he is done and then I snag his spot. Well needless to say that I never worked so hard in the last five years. Hard to say if that is all of them or if they are still just starting. I came home by 2 am and had four gallons of them and my brother and his two GIRLFRIENDS yes that is right two of them had 4 gallons for themselves. I did see alot of people leaving by 1230 and like many years it did pick up right then so remember that folks. My brother and his TWO girlfriends were on one side and my dad and brother inlaw and myself were on the other so we were gettitng them everywhere just not fifty at a time. Good luck and have fun and remember confusious say man who go fishing with whole in pocket get smelly fingers and loses wife.

wicabel246

just got back, and they started at 10:30, and were still being netted at 11:30. lots of 5 gal pails filled tonight

Crazy weather, -2 and ice at the mouth of Mcvickers, and lots of smelt. Oh well, take advantage while the taking is good.

Mostly males tonight, very few females.

Guest BigTrout

What......... no one went out on Sunday night???????????? I think someone is holding back!!

Bighotdog

Wellllllllll a couple of friends went out last night and FILLED there buckets with a WHOPPING thirty smelts. Would have been 31 but the little bugger swam through the net. Anyway they went out around 1100 and stayed till almost 1230 and got squat. I mentioned to them that I had gone and didn't even do well till almost 100am so they might not have waited long enough. I highly doubt the run is over already judging by the amount of females I had caught in our batch. I think the turn in weather possibly put things on slowdown for a bit and it will pick back up again . But I sure as heck don't know that much about these crazy nice tasting little fishies. Some others are going out again tonight and I will let use all know tomorrow how they did.

crisop

at 10:45pm tonite when i drove the wife to work there must have been 30 vehicles at mcvicar, be curious to see if anyone was there from the forum and how they did

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest adams

i just got in from mcvicar. a fair amount of people out and the fishing wasnt too bad. got a half pail in about 1.5 hours. it wasnt awesome but it certainly was steady.

Guest doddzy

adam is right, 1/2 pail in 1.5 hours, too much like work. Give it 2 or 3 days. Good just to be out chasing some tail! :D:lol:

Bighotdog

Buddys went out again last night to Mcdiks and slaughtered them. Like I said though before they got five gallons from 1230 till 100 and said they were still running great when they left shortly after. It seems they are there just a bit later this year. Good luck and have fun.

Bighotdog

So I guess this is the end now of the smelt run seeing as no body else is posting any results. Well all in all it turned out to be a good year for my friends and family once again. Thankyou to everyone who posted and informed people of the run. I really enjoyed the fact that everyone is honest and do not mind sharing a thing or two about their findings. Thanks once again to everyone and can't wait till next time.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

went out on monday, got a 5 gal pail in 20 mins, lots of people, lots of smelts too...a long net definitely helped to get out past everyone elses into the middle of the river

Guest Kenny

Just got in from a successful night.

McVicors was dead, I saw one smelt and netted none, left there around 12:45, lotsa people.

Got to McKenzie around 1:20, and back in the car by 1:50 with 5 gallons. Helped the family beside me fill up their bucket as well, I have a 15 pole so it was just a few scoops.

Guest BigTrout

Hi.........

I want to bring out my 6 year old, would MaKenzie be to dangerous? And where do you go.........I only have a small smelt net, will it be enough?

With the rain tonite, maybe the Marina would be good enough? ALL I want is enough for ice fishing and to take my kid out

Let me know, I would appreciate it!

Thank you,

G :lol:

Guest Kenny
Hi.........

I want to bring out my 6 year old, would MaKenzie be to dangerous? And where do you go.........I only have a small smelt net, will it be enough?

With the rain tonite, maybe the Marina would be good enough? ALL I want is enough for ice fishing and to take my kid out

Thank you,

I see lots of kids out at McKenzie, it is faster and deeper water than McVicors, but throw a life jacket on them, keep them under control, should be no problem.

My net is just a standard size smelt net, I just put an extension on it so I can reach out past the crowd into deeper water and get a longer stroke through the water. The family beside me had really small and short nets but were getting smelts, it just would have taken them longer to fill their bucket.

Some Old Guy

Yeah and for smelts! I guess they are popular!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest canuck

Why no photos of the shoreline blurred out or has noone figured out how to take photos in the dark...LOL!

Shane

grumpy
Hi.........

Thank you,

If you are going to use smelts for bait (even dead ones) please only use them in a lake that already has a population of smelts.