• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest canuck

The Hunt

Guest canuck

I had occassion to go out this morning for a few hours after the elusive buck...would like to have stayed out all day however the wind was becoming dangerous. It is amazing how much difference 15 feet up makes with the wind strength and it does not matter how big you are the tree will still move.

I got into the stand at about 9:30 am and then had to leave and go back to the van as I forgot the harness connector. 9:45 am now in the stand and trying to assemble some of the accessories that I recently purchased as I sit in a tree that is waving back and forth.

The wind died down somewhat and it was quit peaceful sitting in the stand. So much so that I'm positive that I dozed off for a few minutes.

Not sure of the time, forgot my watch, but after some time of calling with a bleat can and grunting a few times, with the odd rattle sequence I caught movement out of the corner of my left eye.

I watched intently, but my eyes began to water as I was forgetting to blink. I staired in the direction until there was movement again..just under the large tree branches I could see legs now moving towards my stand. The suspence was killing me. I watched as the deer moved closer to me still unsure if it was the buck or doe. I started to feel faint and dizzy, not knowing why I took a deep breath and the feeling left me (must try and remember to breath), and lets not forget the pounding heart...I'm sure the deer could have heard it, but it kept coming closer.

The deer just emerged from under a spruce tree and I was still unsure if it was a doe or small buck. Out in the open I could now see that this was not the buck, but a small doe.

I watched her intently for about ten minutes as she fed and moved around the area totally oblivious to me. Twice I was at full draw waiting for her to turn for the perfect shot....it did not come. She walked out of the area as quietly as she arrived.

I learned a great deal by letting that doe go by without trying to force a shot. I am proud to say that I did not waste a shot and wound the deer...I am patting myself on the back. What a rush to have this deer come to within 20 yards of me and not know that I was there and could have taken its life.

All there is left to say is WOW!

Happy to share this with you.

Guest Beamer

I had occassion to go out this morning for a few hours after the elusive buck...would like to have stayed out all day however the wind was becoming dangerous. It is amazing how much difference 15 feet up makes with the wind strength and it does not matter how big you are the tree will still move.

I got into the stand at about 9:30 am and then had to leave and go back to the van as I forgot the harness connector. 9:45 am now in the stand and trying to assemble some of the accessories that I recently purchased as I sit in a tree that is waving back and forth.

The wind died down somewhat and it was quit peaceful sitting in the stand. So much so that I'm positive that I dozed off for a few minutes.

Not sure of the time, forgot my watch, but after some time of calling with a bleat can and grunting a few times, with the odd rattle sequence I caught movement out of the corner of my left eye.

I watched intently, but my eyes began to water as I was forgetting to blink. I staired in the direction until there was movement again..just under the large tree branches I could see legs now moving towards my stand. The suspence was killing me. I watched as the deer moved closer to me still unsure if it was the buck or doe. I started to feel faint and dizzy, not knowing why I took a deep breath and the feeling left me (must try and remember to breath), and lets not forget the pounding heart...I'm sure the deer could have heard it, but it kept coming closer.

The deer just emerged from under a spruce tree and I was still unsure if it was a doe or small buck. Out in the open I could now see that this was not the buck, but a small doe.

I watched her intently for about ten minutes as she fed and moved around the area totally oblivious to me. Twice I was at full draw waiting for her to turn for the perfect shot....it did not come. She walked out of the area as quietly as she arrived.

I learned a great deal by letting that doe go by without trying to force a shot. I am proud to say that I did not waste a shot and wound the deer...I am patting myself on the back. What a rush to have this deer come to within 20 yards of me and not know that I was there and could have taken its life.

All there is left to say is WOW!

Happy to share this with you.

Great story Shane it is a rush,here to future success.I was out on Wednesday and let 2 medium bucks and a doe pass hoping my friend would get a shot.Which he did harvesting his first buck with much happiness

Beamer :D:D