• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

GC 54

Air Travellers Beware!

GC 54

This turkey hunting trip opened my eyes to travelling by air with guns and ammo.

Had a great time on the trip once we got past the first day which was a travel day, however, today was and still is like a day from hell. What made the travel portion of the trip like that, is the fact that our baggage did not show in Toronto on the flight we travelled to Toronto on. Had to go back to the airport to pick up the luggage that evening. P.O.'ed to say the least!

Then to make matters worse, we were hassled by Toronto security today, who obviously have not got a f'en clue on the rules and regulations of travelling with firearms or ammunition. We had all of our bases covered, but they didn't know their bum from a hole in the ground. And then they jibber jabber back and forth in language that sounds like a turkey gobbling.

The flight coming home was on time, luggage with turkeys inside are well marked perishable, and priority, the shotguns are locked with trigger locks and the hard case has two padlocks on it and marked priority, ammunition secured in suitcases.

Guess what, the suit cases and the gun case did not show up here in Thunder Bay. ".....it should be on the next flight, this flight was overloaded....", "And what if it is not on this flight because it is overloaded?" "......there are still a couple of more flights today, and more in the following days ahead...." I thought when I paid for a ticket and extra baggage costs I had a contract?

And you hunters travelling by air should know this, right now Air Canada charges, $125.00 plus taxes each way for a third checked bag (which in our case was the gun case), and on top of that they charge an additional $50.00 plus taxes each way for having firearms onboard. This charge comes to $395.50 for the gun case alone which is considered an extra checked baggage. Glad we bought a double case. It would have been just under $800.00! The frigin' airplane tickets didn't cost us that much! And starting in July, passengers on Air Canada are only allowed one piece of baggage, the second piece is an additional $25.00 and the third is an additional $125.00. Unless of course it has firearms in it, then its more. Right now you can take golf clubs, hockey sticks, car seats, snow skis, snow boards, snow shoes, water skis, wake boards, etc. as a third piece of checked luggage and there is no extra charge. "....starting in July to recover increased fuel costs..." you will be required to pay for anything over the one checked bag that cannot weigh over 50#'s or so many total inches that they have come up with. The day of the big suitcase or large duffle bag is gone!

Thanks for reading my rant. However, we'll do this all over again next year, but in the comfort of my Ford pick up, loaded to the nuts!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

crisop

and the airlines wonder why they lose so much money when they piss off passengers like this

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

NWO Fishing Bum

Air Canada has become an administrative joke.....too big, too disjointed....horrific (and still steadily decreasing) customer service, continued decreasing services/amenities (e.g., checking-in you own bags), yet ever-increasing ticket prices.

Last week, a one-way ticket to Vancouver, from Thunder Bay, through Toronto, then on to Vancouver: cost $350. At the exact same time, a one-way ticket to San Francisco, from Thunder Bay, through Toronto, through Vancouver, then on to San Francisco: cost $270. So just buy a ticket to San Francisco and get off early in Vancouver--you just saved $80! Genius...

NWO Fishing Bum

wampa

That is why I always fly with WestJet. Never had any problems travelling with firearms and extra bags. No extra charges either. Air Canada is on the slow road to self destruction....again. I'm sure the government will bail them out againg though.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

RJS

I just got back from T.O and I didn't have any problems with the gun when leaving Thunder Bay but I always have trouble when departing from Pearson. Make sure your ammo is really secure and give yourself extra time at check in. Pearson sucks! Rob.

Guest adams

a little homework doesn't hurt either. it is worth your time to contact the airline ahead of time to find out exactly what their baggage acceptance allowances are. this will save you time, frustration and money, (and keep you from having a stroke at the airport when you find out what the damage is). the airlines are'nt going to get any cheaper for excess baggage, (although the recent addition of the $25 second bag with air canada is pretty wild), so get wise and find out ahead of time. if you cant find the phone numbers for the airlines go to the airport, or better yet visit the websites as all the limitations are going to be posted there. i like beating up on air canada as much as the next guy, (theyre not happy till youre not happy), but if you look into things ahead of time, you'll be further ahead. go westjet go.

GC 54

We checked out everything before we left. There is total inconsistency in Air Canada. We followed all of their rules when it comes to ammo and firearms. It was their people who know squat as well as the individuals in Pearson's security. They thought a turkey call was a gun. dah!

The reason they charge so much, in my opinion, is to cover the cost of their inefficiency. But they don't need to worry, the Cdn. government has lots of our tax dollars to bail them out, again!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

randomheroj

I work for security here in Thunder bay, and as a avid hunter, i make fun of air canada all the time. when i first read the extra money i have to pay to bring my guns with me, but the next guy gets his golf clubs or hockey sticks on cheaper sucks even one of the workers at air canada hunts and thinks its stupid aswell, but none the less westjet is the only airline in thunder bay i will fly with. most of us on the security hunt and its easier to figure out if guns are locked ammo is seperate and everything thats why its so much easier flying out of thunder bay

Bighotdog

Just a thought for everyone travelling on any airline. It is sometimes and most of the time cheaper to ship the gun as cargo then to ship it as baggage. I know this from experience because the baggage calculation is way more the cargo in some cases double. So next time contact the airline and tell them ahead of time your intention and there should be no problem with shipping it as cargo. You might just have to send it a day early so It gets there the same time as you but at least your saving a ton of money in the long run. Just thought I would mention that for you guys and gals.

Guest adams
Just a thought for everyone travelling on any airline. It is sometimes and most of the time cheaper to ship the gun as cargo then to ship it as baggage. I know this from experience because the baggage calculation is way more the cargo in some cases double. So next time contact the airline and tell them ahead of time your intention and there should be no problem with shipping it as cargo. You might just have to send it a day early so It gets there the same time as you but at least your saving a ton of money in the long run. Just thought I would mention that for you guys and gals.

Not too bad of an idea, however, be advised that cargo sites for both westjet and air canada are not going to be in the terminal building that you are going to fly in/out of. Furthermore cargo goes by weight whereas excess luggage does not, not to mention your cargo has to be dropped off usually way ahead of time for your flight. I cant say that it's worth the hassle....

grumpy

It is almost faster to drive it took 48 hours to fly home from florida. You can drive it non stop with 2 people in 33 hours.

What a joke.

30 hours to fly home from montreal 15 hour drive non stop.

Guest adams
It is almost faster to drive it took 48 hours to fly home from florida. You can drive it non stop with 2 people in 33 hours.

What a joke.

30 hours to fly home from montreal 15 hour drive non stop.

Where's home? Holy cow... that doesnt seem right.

grumpy
Where's home? Holy cow... that doesnt seem right.

Tbay

Those are some of my experiances in the last 2-years.

50% of the time my flights get delayed or cancelled. Bad luck I guess. I would rather take the extra time and drive.