• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Beamer

I probably shouldn't

Guest Beamer

As controversial as it is I can't help myself so here goes, I'm going to post a steelhead picture

:D Beamer

P42800222-1.jpg

P4280025-1.jpg

Bear
As controversial as it is I can't help myself so here goes, I'm going to post a steelhead picture

:D Beamer

P42800222-1.jpg

P4280025-1.jpg

Man was the wind ever swirling behind you, great pics. Wish I could give that a try sometime.

Bear

Guest canuck

Nice fish Randy...I hope to post a picture like that someday too..LOL! Love those backgrounds.

Shane

Guest TerryK

You catch a lot of fish randy but you suck at photo editing! lol

I got a nice hen today that had spectacular colors. Deep red stripe, purple back and sides that were tinged with yellow/gold.

My hands were too cold to take a picture! lol

Domer

Hey Guys.

I am not wanting to start any trouble but I have to say something that has been on my mind for a little while. Why is it that a guy has to edit his picture so that he doesn't ruffle someone's feathers, or give up someone's SECRET SPOT. I think it is rediculous a picture needs to be altered for a few bad apples that haven't realized that these rivers and SECRET SPOTS have been around forever. I have not fished for Rainbow Trout since I was a young teen and I would like to someday maybe give it another try but to listen to some of these guys on this site talk the way they do makes you want to forget it all together. I have no problem with guys asking where to fish for all species if I know I can help them. I am a firm believer that with all these lakes and rivers that we have in this area there should be nothing to hide. This web page is about sharing ideas, pictures, stories and definitely helping a guy out if he is new to the area or if a guy just needs to be steered in the right direction. When I was at the meet and greet when the fishing show was on I talked to Terry. We talked about Rainbow trout fishing. I asked Terry if he would someday take me trout fishing because I had not done it for 15 years or so. He said to me just give me a call and we'll set it up and go and he would get me going in the right direction. Now that is a true sportsman. Another time I was fishing on a lake that holds some large walleyes. The person I was with recognized another boater and we approached them. At the time I didn't know Roger but I met him that day. We had no luck that day and Roger told us what worked well and where these fish might be. He didn't have to tell us but he was a true sportsman. All I am trying to say is that we should help each other out, not argue about secret spots, names of rivers and lakes. River X is my favorite. Give me a break. Life's too short to let some idiots tell me what too do and not do. "Don't argue with an Idiot, he'll beat you down with his own experience".

Guest canuck

WOW! I don't think the blurring has to do with a secret spot rather the lashing some people get just for posting photos...to some it is like giving away the so called secret spot...what difference does it make anyway....the fish is what I want to see...heck cut the fisherpersons face out too or better yet....photoshop my face to all pictures so I have an idea what I might look like someday with a steelhead. Terry, Beamer leaving the photoshop stuff to you guys....mine did not work out so well the last time I tried it....LOL

Shane

Guest ebbie656

Dont really understand why anyone wants to take a picture of themselves with a fish.

Some Old Guy

I don't understand why you would post that, Ebbie656. Enlighten me please.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest mike_g

domer, I have been on this forum for a short time and seems a lot of what your saying is true. I posted a thread on steelhead and the help i got was from pms, which asked for me to not mention that they had talk to me for fear of others getting mad. Very strange behaviour to say the least. Also i'm not sure why the picture is swirled, seems to be the same spot that is on his avatar. I did get some good info on here however, and to those that recommended me a couple rivers to loose some yarn flies in thx.

mike

Guest loggerpete

It is sad guys have to do that to they`re photos but its a personal choice. There are no secret spots.

Some Old Guy

Hi Guys,

Here's the scoop.

THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR, EVERY SPRING, EVERY TIME STEELHEAD ARE BEING CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!

This fish is held in very high regards to certain people and groups. People want information on steelhead but the people who know the information are sometimes reluctant to give it. Techniques and baits seem to be ok to post but locations and "spots" don't seem to be kosher to post.

Mike and Domer,

People will give information on a personal basis like talking to you in person. As you mentioned Domer, I met you on the water and gave some info, but man, I wouldn't post that here! The spots I mean.

So the same goes for steelhead. Personally that's why I stopped fishing for them years ago. Don't get me wrong I think they are great fighters. I have met some people on the rivers that have become great friends of mine. But others I have met didn't leave a positive impression on me. (because I wasn't wearing 500 dollar waders and a 300 dollar vest I was called a "loogan"??? I still don't know what that is! Ha Ha)

But anyways the 'tude seems to be, the fish are in the rivers, go catch them. (or do what I did many many many years ago. I went and watched a guy and seen what he did. Then I attempted the steelhead fishing thing.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest loggerpete

Right on Roger couldn`t say it any better.Two days ago I went out to the Mac with two friends and they asked me what I`m using.

Dew worms.They laughed.

I hooked up two and one was about 5lbs.I had to cross the river to land a fish and I don`t wear waders so could imagine the looks I got.Who cares I had a ball and so did my buddies.

grumpy

Domer, before calling a group of people idiots perhaps you should ask why it might be inappropriate to post a picture with a recognizable background.

I find it completely inappropriate to post a picture on a forum that could lead someone to that spot. I also find it completely appalling to see pictures of dead fish and pictures of anglers holding fish in away that could be harmful of the fish. Presently there are 104 people viewing this site. Why don’t you post the name of the lake, the exact GPS locations and the depth that Muhumba told you to fish? Because when you post a picture and you can recognize the background that’s pretty much what you are doing.

By the way nice fish Randy, I hope that you are having a good spring.

Guest TerryK

lol, steelhead pictures even stir up controversy with non steelheaders!

I've be pounding the semi-frozen streams of the North Shore of the big lake for around 35 years now and I've seen a ton of changes to the fishery, the way the fishery is managed, the way people fish and even the fisher-people themselves. Obviously, some people have a simple reason for being upset about information sharing: greed. But for the most part I believe they are simply afraid of overcrowding and increased harvest when more people are introduced into the equation.

Let me explain how I see it.

Many years ago, there was a core group of fishermen that had figured out how to catch these then mysterious fish and boy did they catch them. The limit was 5 back then and that limit was fully taken advantage of by some. Little was known about the life cycle of the trout and the sustainability of the fishery. I was just a boy then and I was in awe of these guys that could regularly take home a few very large fish. As the years wore on, the fishery started to show the effects of a fairly large harvest. Fewer and fewer fish were caught every year and people started to take notice and ask what the problem was and what could be done about it.

The NSSA and the MNR started looking at all the different aspects of the fishery and how it could be changed to turn things around and preserve it for the future. With a few changed regulations, some habitat improvement and a general change of attitude things started to improve. Die hard steelheaders realized what a unique fishery we had in our area compared to any other on the great lakes and preserving it became a priority. Our steelhead are wild, self sustaining and genetically unique from any other on the Great Lakes and this plays a large part in why people are so passionate about preserving their favorite location not only for their own fishing pleasure, but for their children's enjoyment and of course, for the fish themselves. It's pretty cool seeing the sons and daughters of the guys I fished with 25 years ago, plying the same rivers and "secret spots" that their fathers passed on to them. Now many of them have young children of their own and you can tell they will also be there to step into the waders when the time comes.

Many of you know, that I'm not shy about sharing techniques and even a few locations but most are of very well known rivers that will see plenty of pressure whether or not anyone posts the exact location or not. I feel that sharing a bit of information with an interested fisherperson, does little damage in comparison to an uneducated one that gets frustrated and resorts to less scrupulous methods. A little education goes a long way in preserving what we have worked so hard to archive. If a person is taught proper technique and they become fairly proficient, they start to appreciate not just catching the fish, but the fish's beauty, toughness and fragilities as well.

I'd rather see a river lined with accomplished fisherpeople who practice conservation and preservation, and appreciate the absolute beauty of a wild steelhead, than a river with a few individuals who "bend" the rules any way they can to fill their freezers.

image46jt3.jpg

Domer

First of all I was not referring to everyone as idiots just a select few. I agree with all the reply's but still can't understand why. Just keep in mind that you all learned something about rainbow fishing down the line somewhere. I know every steelhead fisherman out there has picked up techniques and tricks from someone or somewhere. All I am trying to say is that you didn't become superstar fisherman over night. I am pretty sure that no one on this site invented yarn flies, spawn sacks, spoons, Dew Worms, Rapala's, chest waders. I guess we all picked up something along the way even the names of rivers or streams. Terry said it best. You just have to put the time in and no matter where you go you will eventually be successful. I guess I've always been the type of guy that loves to catch the big walleye or trout but what is even more rewarding is living it through someone else's eyes. Seing someone catch a trophy for the first time is more rewarding than catching one yourself when you have done it so many times. Good luck, but you probably don't need luck you got the Secret Spots.

Dom.

Domer

Thanks Terry.

I can see where you are coming from and it makes a little more understandable.

Dom.

grumpy
First of all I was not referring to everyone as idiots just a select few. I agree with all the reply's but still can't understand why. Just keep in mind that you all learned something about rainbow fishing down the line somewhere. I know every steelhead fisherman out there has picked up techniques and tricks from someone or somewhere. All I am trying to say is that you didn't become superstar fisherman over night. I am pretty sure that no one on this site invented yarn flies, spawn sacks, spoons, Dew Worms, Rapala's, chest waders. I guess we all picked up something along the way even the names of rivers or streams. Terry said it best. You just have to put the time in and no matter where you go you will eventually be successful. I guess I've always been the type of guy that loves to catch the big walleye or trout but what is even more rewarding is living it through someone else's eyes. Seing someone catch a trophy for the first time is more rewarding than catching one yourself when you have done it so many times. Good luck, but you probably don't need luck you got the Secret Spots.

Dom.

Why refer to anyone as an idiot? Especially if you do not know them

Guest loggerpete

Why not just post photo on the image or photo board,instead of starting something negative.

Guest TerryK
Why not just post photo on the image or photo board,instead of starting something negative.

What was negative about Beamer's post??

Guest canuck
What was negative about Beamer's post??

It was not me holding the fish..LOL!

Shane

Guest peeps10
It was not me holding the fish..LOL!

Shane

there are tons of maps of the northern and southern shores and most of us know which ones have a steelhead run. Why would someone try to hide that? Weird man..

Guest loggerpete

This is supposed to be a fishing board not a debating board.If you don`t want to have people pissed on here,don`t post pictures you know will stir the pot.I don`t think posting a picture that you know is gonna upset someone POSITIVE !!

Guest Dan
This is supposed to be a fishing board not a debating board.If you don`t want to have people pissed on here,don`t post pictures you know will stir the pot.I don`t think posting a picture that you know is gonna upset someone POSITIVE !!

Nobody has posted any pictures on this thread that have stirred any pot. If by chance you know where the pictures have been taken, then you obviously know that there's fish at that location.

Keep the pictures coming guys. I, for one, appreciate them.

Guest TerryK

People will get upset no matter what is posted. Someone will always have a problem with SOMETHING. It's human nature. I'm sure Randy is aware of what is proper and what isn't and he can make his own decisions. Calling him or his actions weird is out of line. He is a stand up guy, amazing fisherman, hunter as well as a conservationist that has done more to preserve Brook Trout in the Nipigon watershed than just about anyone out there. He is also involved with myself and a few others in a Rainbow Trout study for which he gave up his steelheading season to participate in.

Would you give up fishing all your favorite rivers to VOLUNTEER all of your time to help maintain an accessible steelhead fishery for others????

I thought not.

Funny thing is, there has been little debate in this thread from the people that get upset about posted pictures but much from ones that don't see a problem. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses????

;)