• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Beamer

I probably shouldn't

Guest Angler AV

A better debate to get into would be why is it legal to fish Steelhead during the spawn.....any takers? Dangle dangle the bait.

G

Guest Dan
A better debate to get into would be why is it legal to fish Steelhead during the spawn.....any takers? Dangle dangle the bait.

G

For starters, they are being well managed up here. For the most part, the people that catch them spend countless hours studying and preserving them and their habitat. The fishing pressure on them outside of the spawning run is next to zero.

Guest Guidofisherman

Hats off to Beamer for posting the picture. It seems lately that people are afraid to post a picture for fear of getting flamed or criticized for revealing the spot. Those that can identify the spot from the background, already know the "secret spot" so nothing is shared. Consider instead the conservation efforts that have been happening with NSSA, the shift to "C&R" and benefits of careful management that have given all of us a better opportunity to enjoy an improved steelhead fishery. Here is one from today. I'm sure someone will try to identify the background.

post-539-1210039688_thumb.jpg

Guest Wes

Hey I recognize that riffle. Bet ya can't guess where I'm going tomorrow. hehe.

Nice fish Randy. That is a beast!

Here is one that I photographed today. I never caught it. I only caught trees, sticks, rocks, and myself for the first 7 hours today. I'm tallented like that.

This fish was so pretty I had to take a photo of it.

prettyfish.jpg

troutchaser29

Thanks for the interesting thread guys. I can't beleive some people get in such a huff about such trivial things like the revealing of a fishing spot. I wish I had the time/energy to pay such attention to such silly things.

I do have a question for you Bow chasers, as I am not one. I wondered about that 'harvesting during the spawn thing' the other guy brought up. I dont accept the point that the people doing all the fishing are all thoughtful, conservation minded people. If that were the case, we wouldnt need rules. My real question is that I question the ecological integrity of an alien species. We hold non-native species in a negative light until we like to catch them (see Salmon, smelt, and of course Rainbow). How could we make special changes to the managment of a species that is not supposed to even be here? You can only keep one rainbow (an invasive species) but you can keep FIVE natural reproducing brookies? I dont disagree with keeping 5 brookies (Sorry guys, but I fish to eat fish) but this intensive management of a non-native species seems a bit wierd.

It reminds me of the moose in NFLD. They ARE NOT suposed to be there, they are there because we PUT them there, and now there are more moose than newfies in newfoundland, BUT they are 'intensively' managed and getting a tag is difficult. Thats seems so obsurd.

I guess I have a problem understanding resource interest groups that throw ecological integrity out the window because they want more fish to catch, animals to shoot, whatever, but then try and use ecological/conservation reasoning to support their cause.

any thoughts?

grumpy
Funny thing is, there has been little debate in this thread from the people that get upset about posted pictures but much from ones that don't see a problem. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses????

;)

Terry, I am sure that there are countless other people that would prefer that locations not be mentioned and would prefer not to see pictures with recognizable backgrounds. However they do not post in fear that they will be criticised, or called and idiot. I do not understand your comment on Glass Houses. Is it referring to the thousands of people that are viewing this site on a regular basis that have not registered and are just lurking from the outside to get pointers as to when and where to fish in our region.

On another note, I have noticed that the majority of Walleye fishermen and women are very tight lipped about where they are fishing. Why is that not the same for the few Steelhead guys that seem to have to flood this board with the exact timing and locations of the runs, almost promoting more and more people to go to these spots.

I like to see the pictures; I like to provide advice on rigging. However I do not like to post anything about locations or names of places on a public forum known or not known. If I run into a fellow angler on a river I would gladly give them some advice on where to fish, certain rocks that fish like to lie beside, anything that is warranted and I have always given it honestly.

grumpy
Thanks for the interesting thread guys. I can't beleive some people get in such a huff about such trivial things like the revealing of a fishing spot. I wish I had the time/energy to pay such attention to such silly things.

I do have a question for you Bow chasers, as I am not one. I wondered about that 'harvesting during the spawn thing' the other guy brought up. I dont accept the point that the people doing all the fishing are all thoughtful, conservation minded people. If that were the case, we wouldnt need rules. My real question is that I question the ecological integrity of an alien species. We hold non-native species in a negative light until we like to catch them (see Salmon, smelt, and of course Rainbow). How could we make special changes to the managment of a species that is not supposed to even be here? You can only keep one rainbow (an invasive species) but you can keep FIVE natural reproducing brookies? I dont disagree with keeping 5 brookies (Sorry guys, but I fish to eat fish) but this intensive management of a non-native species seems a bit wierd.

It reminds me of the moose in NFLD. They ARE NOT suposed to be there, they are there because we PUT them there, and now there are more moose than newfies in newfoundland, BUT they are 'intensively' managed and getting a tag is difficult. Thats seems so obsurd.

I guess I have a problem understanding resource interest groups that throw ecological integrity out the window because they want more fish to catch, animals to shoot, whatever, but then try and use ecological/conservation reasoning to support their cause.

any thoughts?

Troutchaser The regs have changed for brook trout 1 fish Lake superior tribs over 50cm (not sure) you should review them if you plan on taking 5 fish.

Guest ShaunH

hey guys, very entertaining thread. Great site. you guys are funnylol, i think those swirlies were really just a joke..... doesn't every one here already know where the steelies are. Any way i've decided to finnaly post somthing and say hello to everyone out there on the water. I 've been lurking in the shadows here for a long time, not too much to say, not any questions just entertainment. Would like to hear who's fallen in the water lately, etc. Bye for now, see you all this weekend at my secret spot.Shauny

Guest Brett S

heres one i caught the other day, i dont know how to hide the background but the spot isnt a secret anyways.

post-287-1210114862_thumb.jpg

Guest TerryK

grumpy: I was referring to the fact that the only people complaining, are the ones complaining about the ones complaining about posting steelhead picture. Know what I mean? lol

Nowhere in my previous posts did I condone the posting of locations or pictures of locations, I just tried to explain why things are the way they are with steelheaders.

Keep in mind, nobody was posting any times or locations on this thread.

ps: if anyone wants to debate the totally unrelated issue of steelhead spawning runs, please start a new thread.

Gone8to1248

My only thought on posting pictures with a backkground in it would be the only people that would recongize it would be the people that already know the spot. Some how I have a hard time visualizing someone walking through the woods with a picture they got off the board trying to find that exact spot. I think to most of us a tree is a tree and rocks are rocks and water is water, just by seeing a picture doesn't meen we could find it. Unless you have a picture with GPS numbers in it or a picture with say the Dam on the Nipigon River in it, it would be safe to post it the way it is.

gone8to1248

Buck 120

keep the pictures coming guys!!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

NWO Fishing Bum

I'm exactly with you on this Bernie! If you recognize the background, then you know the spot well enough anyway.

AV and Troutchaser ask good questions that probably warrant their own threads, although I would contend at least part of the explanation is the same as it is here.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest Kevin Carlson
My only thought on posting pictures with a backkground in it would be the only people that would recongize it would be the people that already know the spot. Some how I have a hard time visualizing someone walking through the woods with a picture they got off the board trying to find that exact spot. I think to most of us a tree is a tree and rocks are rocks and water is water, just by seeing a picture doesn't meen we could find it. Unless you have a picture with GPS numbers in it or a picture with say the Dam on the Nipigon River in it, it would be safe to post it the way it is.

gone8to1248

Bingo.

Guest Kevin Carlson

gone8to1248

Bingo. :lol: