• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hardy

Stumped by Coasters

Guest Hardy

Can anyone give me any hints on Lake Superior coasters? We were out last Sunday and fished from Silver Harbour, past the mouth on the McKenzie, all around the island in front of Sunnyside, and a good portion of Caribou Island. The whole time, had 2 flatlines off the back dragging an assortment of Rapalas and spoons. We stayed within casting distance of shore, and fired everything we had in 2 tackle boxes at the shoreline rocks. We saw a ton of decent structure in our travels, and at one point, saw 2 trout (rainbow?, coaster?) swim away smiling at us in 4' of water. This was my first time attempting this type of fishing, and Jay's first time doing this in Superior. He said it works elsewhere, and was surprised that we didn't even see any follow our lures to the boat.

Are we going about this properly? Any hints appreciated. Just in the wrong place? Or do these fish like something different? Or are they just few and far between in such a big body of water?

I'd like to spend more time on Superior as it`s something new and different, and my truck will drink alot less fuel gettin there! I don`t know how many times I can get skunked though before I lose interest :P

I would even consider taking someone along for the day, all expenses paid, if they wished to demonstrate some techniques..... :huh:

Hardy

Jayfishin

We never tried a bober with a hook and worm ...maybe we were too high tech for them. Better go out next time in a rubber dingy with two sticks each :lol:

Jay

Guest bestbait
Can anyone give me any hints on Lake Superior coasters? We were out last Sunday and fished from Silver Harbour, past the mouth on the McKenzie, all around the island in front of Sunnyside, and a good portion of Caribou Island. The whole time, had 2 flatlines off the back dragging an assortment of Rapalas and spoons. We stayed within casting distance of shore, and fired everything we had in 2 tackle boxes at the shoreline rocks. We saw a ton of decent structure in our travels, and at one point, saw 2 trout (rainbow?, coaster?) swim away smiling at us in 4' of water. This was my first time attempting this type of fishing, and Jay's first time doing this in Superior. He said it works elsewhere, and was surprised that we didn't even see any follow our lures to the boat.

Are we going about this properly? Any hints appreciated. Just in the wrong place? Or do these fish like something different? Or are they just few and far between in such a big body of water?

I'd like to spend more time on Superior as it`s something new and different, and my truck will drink alot less fuel gettin there! I don`t know how many times I can get skunked though before I lose interest :P

I would even consider taking someone along for the day, all expenses paid, if they wished to demonstrate some techniques..... :huh:

Hardy

I have only caught coasters on live bait mostly small pearl dace right on the other side of the breakwall in the marina. Another spot is closer to Dorian. They are becoming a rare sight as over the past few years I have noticed an increase in rainbows. I actually stopped fishing coasters because of all the rainbows. The way we found them is by watching the temp sensor on my finder. Find the warmer pockets of water in about 10-25 feet!!! If you're looking for big specs try a few of the stocked lakes. I use to only fish naturals but after hauling in a few 6 & 7 pounders only fish stocked lakes now with one exception.......spec heaven THE NIPIGON RIVER!!!!

It's nice to know there are others that appreciate the rare opportunities this area offers....Don't give up and ENJOY!!!!!

Guest crispy

I actually caught a coaster in Little Trout Bay in August. I then caught a nice rainbow about an hour later with the same spoon. It was a good day, couple salmon, coaster, rainbow and a laker.

Guest Dan

It seems that you're doing everything right Hardy. I don't fish in Superior, but I employ the same methods that you describe on Lake Nipigon with success. My only suggestion would be is not overlook shallow water. 2 to 4 feet of water would be very much worth checking out . Stick with the crankbaits rather than spoons in those depths. A Rapala countdown in a size 5 or 7 is an excellent bait for that depth of water.

Guest Chad
It seems that you're doing everything right Hardy. I don't fish in Superior, but I employ the same methods that you describe on Lake Nipigon with success. My only suggestion would be is not overlook shallow water. 2 to 4 feet of water would be very much worth checking out . Stick with the crankbaits rather than spoons in those depths. A Rapala countdown in a size 5 or 7 is an excellent bait for that depth of water.

If want to learn about Coasters' I found a TON of information here:

[post=0]http://members.shaw.ca/amuir/

From the world record, to recent population data... and places to target ;>

Chad

AB

Coasters, and many other trout can be very skittish in shallow water.

One trick is to get your lures away from the boat by is by using planer boards. In-lines like those made by Cannon and Yellow Bird will do the trick.

I've had good succes in the early spring by slow (1.5 - 2 mph) trolling shallow running body baits like X-raps and Shad Raps in tight to shore 25 feet behind a yellow bird. I keep the boat at least 50 feet out from the shore line I'm working and the fish don't spook off the boards.

You might need to bulk up your rod and reel combo as the boards put a bit of a drag on the line.

Good luck!

iceman