• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Walleye Man

Pelican on the Kam River

Guest Kevin Green

I read about the Pelican's at the Harbour in the News Paper. Today I was out on the boat and saw one on the Kam River.

The only other lake I have ever seen these at is Kab Lake up Hwy 527 towards Armstrong. They did a great job cleaning up my fish carcasses for me.

Swallowed them whole. I assume they probably aren't very good for the lakes though I'm sure they eat a lot of fish or they wouldn't just hang out there.

Has anyone seen them on any other lakes in or around the Thunder Bay District?

eyelander

This is nothing new, White Pelicans have been around here for years and years. Most notably on Lake of the Woods, but they are on Nipigon Lake, Black Sturgeon Lake, and some of the larger lakes in this district. Have seen them lots of times, rarely get close to them for any good pictures though.

Dan got a good picture of them though in flight formation a year ago, flying over his campsite on Nipigon.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Dan

Last summer was the first time that I've seem them in town. Once at Marina Park and once at Mission Marsh. I've seen them occasionally on Lake Nipigon as far back as 20 years or so ago. I've also seen them on the shores of Lake of the Woods many times. The most that I've seen at one time was in northern Manitoba last summer near The Pas. I saw hundreds, maybe thousands if them at a bridge over some fast water on the highway. Beautiful birds they are. They fly with the precision of our Snowbirds.

crisop

saw a turkey vulture on sheb on monday finishing off a nice sized pike on shore

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

eyelander

First time I saw a Turkey Vulture was when fishing Koss Lake about 15 yrs. ago, seen them every year since near that area or down the Burchell Lake Rd. corridor and as far north as Upsala area on the Trans Canada.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

NWO Fishing Bum

At least 2-3 dozen pelicans this spring right where a trib flows into the west side of Lake Nipigon....awesome to see!

NWO Fishing Bum

randomheroj

theres tons Turkey Vultures around kashabowie lately in the last 3 years ive been seeing them more and more

TArmstrong

Ive seen lots of them out on the harbour while salmon fishing, and down at Mission marsh often.

here are a couple pics of one last summer on LOTW, theyre like gulls there, come right up to the boat looking for handouts;

213.jpg

210.jpg

www.tomarmstrongoutdoors.com

Cheech

Was at Kab a couple of weeks ago and there were Pelicans on the lake. They seemed to follow the boat around. The first night I didn't bring the camera in the boat and they were so close I was kicking myself. But the next morning I brought it and here's a few pics.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1936-1.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

mitch
Was at Kab a couple of weeks ago and there were Pelicans on the lake. They seemed to follow the boat around. The first night I didn't bring the camera in the boat and they were so close I was kicking myself. But the next morning I brought it and here's a few pics.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1936-1.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

how was the fishing at kab, we go up every year on the august long, ussually do fairly well, but I'm wondering if this years weather had any effect, or if them pelicans have been deniting the population yet. Beautiful birds though, that's the only place i've ever seen em myself. and how about the beach there, i heard it slimmed up some this year?

Cheech

The fishing is pretty good. My buddy was out for the last week and he did real well. It doesn't look like the pelicans are having a real impact. There's a few ospreys out there too, but it's natures way of keeping things in check. As for the beach, the water was real high a couple of weeks ago but not sure how it is now. I'll try to find out. No shortage of mosquito's either. Bring repellent.

mitch

Thanks Cheech! I here ya on the mosquito's, we out at Birch Point Resort on Kashabowie recently and they were brutal there too!

NWO Fishing Bum

Awesome pictures guys!

I use to love watching osprey fish as a child, but I haven't seen one in years. Cool to here there are a few of them around too!

NWO Fishing Bum