• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Canucker

Non-Resident Landowner WMU Exclusions for Moose Hunt? (updated)

Canucker

Current law prohibits non-resident land owners from hunting moose in certain WMU's. In other WMU's, non-resident land owners may purchase a license to hunt moose for approx. $375 but still may not enter the draw for adult tags, thus, calf only. My question is on what criteria certain WMU's are excluded from this expensive calf only hunt? And, does the MNR have data available to the public on how many non-residents own land in each WMU, and/or how many non-resident land owners actually purchase a calf only tag in these areas? For instance; WMU 12B, not a border WMU, very sparsely populated (Atikokan would be the largest community), and not a great many resorts offering moose hunts. Why would the MNR gladly not except the revenue of what I would guess to be no more than a handful of non-resident landowners who would suffer the expense to hunt calf in this area? Why exclude that WMU? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Thanks.

:unsure: I guess I can assume from the lack of any answer from the MNR, that either they do not know, or that this may be a touchy subject at this time with the current review on the moose mgmt underway. I understand that some Ontario residents are not too happy that the review is not looking at the allocation of tags to non-residents and/or the exclusion of controls on the Native harvest of moose. With the impending probability of limitations on the number of calf tags to residents, I can assume that this is probably not the time that the MNR would open up calf tags to non-residents in any of the restricted WMU's.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if the MNR could give me some insight on where one could find information available to the public on;

- Non-resident land owner calf tag purchases in non-restricted WMU's (success rate?)

- Non-resident land ownership in WMU's

- Tag allocations to resorts offering non-resident moose hunts in the WMU's

I am only interested in data pertaining to Northern Region WMU's.

Thanks!