• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Fly reel

I have just gone looking through some of my dads old fishing stuff, and I have found a shakespeare fly reel. He said it was my grandfathers. Does or did shakespeare make good fly reels. Maybe I dont need to buy one since i already have this one

Some Old Guy

I started off with an old shakespeare. Just make sure it's maitained and smooth and you are ready to go.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Well the reel is quite old. It has a small plaque on it that reads:

noris

shakespeare

no. 2110

If you google noris shakespeare no. 2110 in images you will see it come up as the first image, with the bergundy coloured spool

It feels somewhat smooth and has a small sliding mechanism on the backside of the reel. When placed in one position i can spin the reel forward and backwards silently, when it is moved over i can turn the reel forward silently, but when i spin it backwards it makes a clicking noise. I have always been a spin fisherman but the concept of fly fishing just amazes me and i simply need to take it up. Also Grumpy, i was talking to my dad about purchasing a fly tying kit and i think he is going to help me out so i dont think i need to take you up on your offer. However i do truly appreciate the kindness your showing towards a new comer to the fly fishing world. Im glad theres guys out there like you willing to help.

Also, in trying to find out when my reel was manufactured i noticed that nowhere on the reel does it have any letters to determine the year.

Guest TerryK
Also, in trying to find out when my reel was manufactured i noticed that nowhere on the reel does it have any letters to determine the year.

Maybe inside with the spool off???

grumpy

Brodie I do not remember making you an offer for anything. I pointed you towards a premium fly tying kit. I would like to warn you that I did not take that much time searching that kit out. Please spend some time do the research and make sure that you get premium tools with the kit, there is a lot of garbage that comes in some kits. I would also try and search out a canadian site that sells the stuff. If you do buy from the states have them send it to Rydens and clear customs yourself, some brokerage fees are out of this world. I personally just paid $60 brokerage for a $30 item and I am sure that I will not be able to get any of that money back.

After you do your research send me a pm with what you plan to buy and I will take a look at it for you.

Brodie I do not remember making you an offer for anything. I pointed you towards a premium fly tying kit. I would like to warn you that I did not take that much time searching that kit out. Please spend some time do the research and make sure that you get premium tools with the kit, there is a lot of garbage that comes in some kits. I would also try and search out a canadian site that sells the stuff. If you do buy from the states have them send it to Rydens and clear customs yourself, some brokerage fees are out of this world. I personally just paid $60 brokerage for a $30 item and I am sure that I will not be able to get any of that money back.

After you do your research send me a pm with what you plan to buy and I will take a look at it for you.

You are correct it was someone else that pm'd me with an offer. I apologize for the confusion. Have a good one Grumpy.

Maybe inside with the spool off???

Well i checked inside of the spool, I may need to take it apart, It does say japan on the foot of the reel...bad sign?

is it possible that it is older than 1929

are you asking if it is older than 1929 or saying it could be?

grumpy
are you asking if it is older than 1929 or saying it could be?

Could it be?

the letter date coding only ran from 1929 to around 1970 something. So the reel is either older than 1929 or younger than 1977.