• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unbedable

Slug for a shotgun?

unbedable

I have just completed my hunter's course maybe a month ago. During that course, the instructor said to use a slug in a shotgun that has any kind of choke a big no no! That is understandible as the constriction would hinder the bullet, and maybe end up with serious harm. But when my uncle went to buy ammo the past weekend, the sales clerk said you CAN put a slug through a choked barrel. Just to make sure, he gave the name of someone at the armery to also talk to. This guy said he was unsure.....

So I was just wondering...can you actually put a slug through a choke....or strictly cylinder?

Guest Beamer
I have just completed my hunter's course maybe a month ago. During that course, the instructor said to use a slug in a shotgun that has any kind of choke a big no no! That is understandible as the constriction would hinder the bullet, and maybe end up with serious harm. But when my uncle went to buy ammo the past weekend, the sales clerk said you CAN put a slug through a choked barrel. Just to make sure, he gave the name of someone at the armery to also talk to. This guy said he was unsure.....

So I was just wondering...can you actually put a slug through a choke....or strictly cylinder?

Depends on the slug, some are plain lead some have plastic wads attached while others are in sabots. Some such as Callengers which have a plastic wad say on the box they are safe in any choked gun. I use these a lot and find them excellent and accurate. The saboted slug work best in fully rifled shot gun barrels or with a rifled choke tube, these are usually the most accurate. The fully lead or foster style slugs are the most common and least accurate. The manufacturer usually indicates what type of choke works best.

unbedable

so it isn't so straight forward! thanks for the help, i'm sure he'll have to take a look at those.