• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayfishin

64 inch bull

Jayfishin

That local bull was a real beauty for sure! Congrats to the group.

I have heard of alot of high 50's and low 60's shot this year, which seems more and bigger than the past. I wonder if the climate has been a factor of the last few years? Any other thoughts on the subject?

Jay

fishman1
That local bull was a real beauty for sure! Congrats to the group.

I have heard of alot of high 50's and low 60's shot this year, which seems more and bigger than the past. I wonder if the climate has been a factor of the last few years? Any other thoughts on the subject?

Jay

last year was by no means a mild winter. it was very long and didnt seem to want to end.

Guest TerryK

I'm sure good genes have a bit to do with it. I can imagine a big bull like Mr. Hilliard's was very successful passing on his genes over the years!

Jayfishin

Yes, I agree that last winter was a long cold one but having little snow, after the one earlier dump, had to help the deer and moose keep their distance from the wolves. I'm sure you guys have heard how snow up to the bellies of moose and deer doesn't help the survival rates of future does/calves still in development mode.

I have heard that moose numbers (sittings) this hunt season have been alot less around the NW region. I know people were questioning about results of last winter's WMU 13 moose survey,which affected tag allocation this fall but maybe the numbers aren't that far off. Too bad that the MNR doesn't increase the frequency of their aerial surveys when they notice a significant decrease in one WMU. Two more years of survey and then averaging the three would definitely give a more accurate measurement.

Jay

Bill Arnott

Last winter was a mediocre one for snowfall & severe temps in the Greenstone area. Several winters prior I would classify as mild with below average snowfall.

I saw a good number of moose over the summer so I think populations are strong yet harvest rates are down around here. That being said there were several BIG class bulls taken here. Every year there are a couple taken in that range where they are BIG not just big.

Wolf pack sizes seem to be returning to more normal 3 -5 animals from the 8+ I was seeing the last few years. There are more bear than ever but I didn't see many as the berry crops kept them from roaming in search of food.

There are so many factors at play I think we could all develop a different theory

The answer could be as simple as more optimal hunting days occuring on weekends so that more hunters happen to be out when the moose are active?

The only thing I know is that I have only seen a few animals like that(the TBay record???) in 30 years of wandering the bush ( one was with you Jay) and never when I was able to take a poke at him. :D

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Jayfishin

I remember that one Bill! At 500 plus yards we could see his rack (and body) with the naked eye. Too bad we were calf huntin that morning! I remember looking at his tracks, which were 6inch wide by 12+ inches long. Big moose and big body. I'm sure he produced a few off spring with those genes!

Hope the snow up your way improves the odds.

Jay