• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest brkygetr

Time to ice some Brookies

Guest brkygetr

Hey all....hope everyone had a kick-a#$ soft water season but it's come upon my favourite time of the year.... I think it may be possible to find some safe ice... (tested a local small pond last weekend and it was just about ready) so i am going to make the trek east of here (Fort Frances) to hit up some first ice north of Atikokan but south of Dryden. Anyone in that that area that wants to make an adventure out of it. Plan on heading out early Saturday morn and arriving at said lakes by 8:30-9ish so could meet you there.

Anyone in that area with ice reports????

By the way i am walking in, with a survival suit, rope, picks and hand auger. Not going to play Jesus if things aren't safe but REALLY want to hit those brookies, or splake if that doesn't work out.

So anyone in????

Brkygetr

P.S. I'll bring the sausage, potatoes and bacon :D:D

Guest Hoistanen

I went by there two weeks ago Saturday and only the bay closest to the highway was frozen. Crook was completely iced over as far as you can see from the hwy. We've had some decently cold temps since then - many night in the minus teens, so it should be alright. I know a guy that usually fishes it first ice - I'll see if he's got a report. If you end up going for splake I've got a wierd one for you. One day we were up there having very little luck with minnows. I put a chunk of hotdog on one line and cleaned up. Ran out of hotdogs!

unbedable
If you end up going for splake I've got a wierd one for you. One day we were up there having very little luck with minnows. I put a chunk of hotdog on one line and cleaned up. Ran out of hotdogs!

Did you cook the hotdogs for them too? Mustard and ketchup?!? :P

Guest Hoistanen

We did experiment with different condiment combinations with very little effect on success. The only real difference was the mess it created in the hole. Especially the onions. The bun experiment was a disaster.

Guest brkygetr
I went by there two weeks ago Saturday and only the bay closest to the highway was frozen. Crook was completely iced over as far as you can see from the hwy. We've had some decently cold temps since then - many night in the minus teens, so it should be alright. I know a guy that usually fishes it first ice - I'll see if he's got a report.

Sweet...thats good news, hopefully the ice is solid. I have yet to fish Crook so it will an experiment none the less. A scouting mission as much as anything, the #'s are good in that lake though so it should be decent. By the way is it just south Crook or the entire lake thats stocked, like I say never hit it up yet?

Come on BROOKIES :D:D:D !!!!!!

Brkygetr

Guest Hoistanen

Southcrook is the only one that is a stocked lake. Crook is a santuary Lake Trout lake that is only open for January and July. Good luck.

vishuscirquel

Hey Brkygetr,

I'm in Dryden and have been fishing on Lake wabigoon for over a week now...granted close to shore, but there is now a good 5-6 inches of good black ice under 2cm of snow. I hit up another lake 2 days ago and it was 6 inches black ice under snow all round...with the odd 3 or 4 inches here and there. I live just off the 502 going towards fort frances and most of the lakes on that road in my area have been frozen over for 3 weeks now...so you should be fine. Like you though i aint jeezus....so i have my PFD and picks on me....but its looking pretty good so far.

heres our adventure from wednesday at Burr Lake, not that many fish...bt good to be out.

DAVE ON A MISSION

k1.jpg

DAVE IS OUTTA HERE!....HEY DAVE....WAIT UP!

k4.jpg

It was about a mile walk in the end.....but not difficult because there was only around 2 cm of snow, and I coulda walked another 3 miles as it was such a fantastic warm (-2) sunny day.

We got to the rock point and did the usual line of holes from shallow out deeper. It was a very steep drop off.....only about 2 yards out from shore it was 16' deep.....gradually dropping off from there to around 25' fow. There was a bay off to one side...which became fairly shallow....flanked by some weeds I could see on the Lowrance...perfect...rock...weed....deep...shallow...sand......GOTTA BE SOME FISH HERE!

Wasn't long before I hooked into a small Pike. We noticed there was a track leading up from the shore.....and we could hear when a truck went by and realised it was a short 50yard walk to the road....so I set off back to get the truck. Of course when I got back I had another larger Pike take my other line.

ON THE WAY BACK TO GET THE TRUCK I SNAPPED A COUPLE OF SCENERY PICS>>>>IT WAS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

k16.jpg

OF COURSE THIS GUY TOOK MY LINE WHEN I"M NOT THERE!

k5.jpg

IT WENT QUIET FOR A BIT

k7.jpg

k10.jpg

Dave then started to out fish us....as in he was the only one catching walleye. Then Chuck started catching walleye too....lol......I kept getting pike...after pike after pike.....funny how it goes sometimes.

As the sun started to set the bite increased.....I finally got 3 walleye in quick succession.,....as did chuck and Dave......we had to put back a lot of small ones but managed to get our limit in the end.

I WAS GETTING PIKE AFTER PIKE

th_k12.jpg

th_k15.jpg

k21.jpg

All in all a great day on the ice...perfect weather...good friends and fish...what else can ya ask for(don’t answer that).

My wife was really pleased to see me when I got home....so were the cats...but I don’t think its caused they missed me...just that I had supper....and man was it good!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! YUM!

k22.jpg

Guest Patch

I just came back from dinner and am totally stuffed, but seeing that plate of golden goodness made me hungry all over again!! Nice story, I enjoyed it. Thanks.