• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest adams

Question about ice

Guest adams

I'm having a mild brainwave here. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this one, (or tell me if i've lost it). I am wondering if water clarity has any effect on the formation of ice. The angle I was taking on this is does darker, tea-stained water freeze at a different rate than clear water due to the difference in colour? We all know that darker surfaces attract and retain heat from the sun more than clear surfaces, so, does this apply to ice as well? I understand that areas with current, and areas that are wind-blown will take longer to freeze so I'm good there... but does the natural clarity of the water inhibit/enable freezing? I assume not because Lac is freezing quicker than Shebandowan, but then maybe Shebandowan has more of a current running through it given the input of the Greenwater/Kashabowie Rivers and the output into the Matawan River.... Yeah I'm a little bored, this blizzard has me held up in the house, and the free-to-air dish is down at the moment!

Some Old Guy

I don't think it influences freezing but it does when thawing. The darker colour water seems to thaw first.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest adams
I don't think it influences freezing but it does when thawing. The darker colour water seems to thaw first.

Roger

good point.

Guest Kevin Green

Generally clear water is a lot deeper and therefore takes way longer to cool so it doesn't freeze as quickly.

Some Old Guy

Yes the deeper water takes longer to cool down. Spring fed lakes take a while to freeze. Same as any moving water.

Look at Whitefish lake. At most times it's a mud pit and it freezes first all the time.

Roger

Guest TerryK

I also think that suspended sediment makes for weaker ice. Look at Lake Superior ice. Super hard and ice on lakes that are stained or dirty seems softer.

Master Baiter

I agree with Terry on that one for sure!

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

troutchaser29

I think I remember something in chemistry class about suspended sediment lowering the freezing point, so I would guess that stained water would not freeze as fast. But hey, at minus "Northern Ontario whatever" i dont think it would be noticeable.

I would think that water mass has alot to do with freezing. Whitefish lake is big but shallow, so the mass wouldnt be as big as a simliar size lake that was deeper. I think shebandewan is much deeper than lac so maybe thats why the ice not as thick?

Some Old Guy

Lake Superior has a lot of mass water wise. The actual temperature variance is really low between summer and fall. The reason Superior freezes hard is because it retains heat (melts the snow) for longer periods. And when it does decide to freeze it is very cold out therefore makes harder ice. I do agree with the sediment factor though I just think superior would be a bad example.

Roger

Guest adams

i agree with the water mass point. for example i have heard that burchell lake can be dangerous as far as ice goes, and it goes down in excess of 300 feet in some spots. speaking of which has anyone here ever ice fished that lake? ive done great in the summer but never tried the winter......

-adams