• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Hicks and area

Well me and a friend of mine went up to Hicks lake to try for some fish. Once we got there we were sadly dissapointed to see that the ice was not too tick, a guy who has a camp on the lake also was going to try the lake on his sled but sunk right at shore, so he gave up, he also said that he does not know of any lakes in that area that are frozen up, any idea when they freeze up to a safe enough thickness? We ended up hitting up hazelwood once again with a few small fish but nothing great.

eyelander

Did he actually break through the ice, or get stuck in lots of slush????????????

Bin der, dun dat before, on smaller speck lakes, got 30 ft. out off shore, and buried, lol.

Ice thickness was not an issue, 1.5 ft. of slush was.

Hicks isn't that big of a lake, or even that deep, there should be decent ice on it by now.

I would tend to think that major slush was the problem, with the recent dump of snow we got a week ago.

Larger, more exposed, windblown lakes would probably not have suffered as badly from the 10" we got a week ago, except in certain areas where there was protection from the winds, or ice ridges forming allowing water to get on top putting more pressure on the ice surface, sinking it below water level, and into the snow load on top.

Smaller lakes will have slush on them for sure.

Was there any slush on Hazelwood??????????

It would be kinda surprising if there was not, but stranger things have happened before on individual lakes.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Did he actually break through the ice, or get stuck in lots of slush????????????

Bin der, dun dat before, on smaller speck lakes, got 30 ft. out off shore, and buried, lol.

Ice thickness was not an issue, 1.5 ft. of slush was.

Hicks isn't that big of a lake, or even that deep, there should be decent ice on it by now.

I would tend to think that major slush was the problem, with the recent dump of snow we got a week ago.

Larger, more exposed, windblown lakes would probably not have suffered as badly from the 10" we got a week ago, except in certain areas where there was protection from the winds, or ice ridges forming allowing water to get on top putting more pressure on the ice surface, sinking it below water level, and into the snow load on top.

Smaller lakes will have slush on them for sure.

Was there any slush on Hazelwood??????????

It would be kinda surprising if there was not, but stranger things have happened before on individual lakes.

Well there was about 2 inches of slush when we were walking out to the islands, but the slush was only there for about 40 feet than it was good again, yeah the ice looked fine but we took the locals word for it i guess, either way we got out but i did want to try some of the lakes up spruce river, next time i guess.

Guest Kevin Green
Well there was about 2 inches of slush when we were walking out to the islands, but the slush was only there for about 40 feet than it was good again, yeah the ice looked fine but we took the locals word for it i guess, either way we got out but i did want to try some of the lakes up spruce river, next time i guess.

Were this fellows eyes Brown because he was full of s**t. The lakes up there would definetly be safe to travel on. The farther North you go up that Hwy the colder it gets and the thicker the ice should be.

He probably didn't want anyone fishing the lake where his camp was so he lied to you. If there is a lot of slush make sure you spray your boots with Water Repellent spray or your day might come to a quick end unless your wearing Insulated Rubbers that is.

Good Luck next time.