• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikejson

Shack Building - what do you suggest!

mikejson

Hi everyone,

I think I'm building a shack this coming summer. I've only been out to a few shacks and I'm bored at work... and I figured, why not start a thread to get the best of the best ideas... hell, and the worst of the worst to avoid...

What things should I be mindful of?

What things are a must?

What fancy things have you done with your shacks?

Pictures??

I'm curious to see all the different ideas out there.

Thanks!

gauge

Me and fishleclair started to build a ice shack at work also. Its more for shelter when testing and flooding ice for winter roads.

I will post some pics when its put together.

Gauge

www.teamnosa.com

www.kidney.ca

Some Old Guy

Keep your windows so you can see out of them while sitting down. I have been a few shacks that you have to stand up to look out the window!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

Design your benches so you can stretch out and have a nap, while being comfortable. Use the space under the benches for storage.

Bear

Some Old Guy

Fold away beds that flip against the wall are nice too.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

tracker

Skis need to be as wide as you can get away with. 1 ft works best. Windows need to be double paned glass and go as big as possible. For the windows that do not have to open, you can buy just the double paned glass that is laminated and make your own frame. Screw and glue all the floor, roof and wall studs. Use blue styrofoam for insulation and fit it air tight. Do not use vapor barrier. Insulate the floor, thicker the better (heat rises and so does the frost). If you are going 8 ft wide, put skis all the way to the outside, that way you only have to bank the ends. Put your inside fishing holes inside of the skis, this will almost eliminate the hole freezing and wind coming up. Need to put at least one vent in on a wall to let out moisture and smells.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

RLK

I would go with an oil stove rather than wood. Less work and you can control the temp. Wood is usually too hot or too cold. Hard to keep at a constant temp.

mikejson

any thoughts on fish cleaning setups outside of the shack?? last time I was out there I froze my fingers pretty bad cleaning the fish haha.

tracker
:lol::lol::lol: It only takes once to realize it is warmer inside of the shack. Get a folding table and a teflon cutting board. I find that wearing an insulated glove on the hand that holds the fish helps.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

<')(((((>{

Guest stussy

keep in mind how you are getting it to the lake and make the skiis fit between the wheel wells on the trailer, unless the deck is over the wheels on the trailer then you have to watch your overall height. I can't remember max overall height you can tow. We also went oil, 20l of coloured fuel between a couple of guys beats carrying wood every time.

AB
Definetly oil stove.

Put in a carbon monoxide detector regardless of you heat source.

Spend the $30 bucks that could save your life ;) , and keep your wife from collecting the life insurance....

iceman

NWO

Build a little sun-room for me. I like to be alone when I icefish, so I hope you don't use the shack that much.

mikejson

Anyone want to drops some pics for me??? You guys gotta be proud of your shacks, come on now :D

Bear

Tracker:

You are really suffering out there!!

Great shacks.

Bear

Guest Nonus

I want Tracker's brothers shack, that is like a house there, if it were an apartment building in New York it would probably go for 300,000.

mikejson

Curious, what are the solor panels connected to?

How much wattage are they? Do you connect them to a 12v battery? non-generator powered things like lights or something?

tracker

My brothers is a 15 watt panel to keep his batteries topped up. He does run a generator for inside lights.

My shack is totally "off the grid". I run a 85 watt panel charging up 4 6 volt batteries. Lights inside and out are 12 volt energy efficient. Run a 750 watt invertor to run tv and reciever.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

<')(((((>{

Guest Fatman

Hey tracker what are the walls made of on those shacks. I am going to build one this summer but not sure on how to do it.

mikejson
My brothers is a 15 watt panel to keep his batteries topped up. He does run a generator for inside lights.

My shack is totally "off the grid". I run a 85 watt panel charging up 4 6 volt batteries. Lights inside and out are 12 volt energy efficient. Run a 750 watt invertor to run tv and reciever.

How long can you run your tv/reciever on those batteries, if assuming a full charge?

There are soo many issues with having a generator out in the cold...

tracker

Fatman: The walls are 2 x 2 with 2" blue styrofoam SM for insulation. The roof has 2" styrofoam. The floor has 4" of styrofoam. We took a 2 x 6 and cut the true 2" for the walls and roof out of it. Outside is galvanized siding.

Mikejson: I can go all weekend watching tv. With the solar panel facing south and low to the ground (reflection off of the snow), I get enough charge during the week when I am not there. Only draw back is solar accessories are expensive. Inside lights are $10 each but draw less than 1 amp. Outside flood lights are $60 each and draw less than 1 amp. Cost for a good set up will run more than a 1000 watt Honda.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

<')(((((>{

Guest Tracker Pro V

This is a great thread!!!

I am also interested in building a shack and this thread is very educational and I am very interested in solar power.

Thank you