• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikejson

Shack Building - what do you suggest!

mitch

Here's my shack, I think one of the most important things is that all of are studs are nailed and glued, also make you skiis big, that was our biggest mistake, our shack only sits 6 inches or so off the ground. And aren't long enough. therefore this summer we have alot more work to do, which is what we expected, do to the fact that my friend and I have little to no carpentry experience. BUt we ahd alot of good times building it, and for the little amount we've been out so far we had some great times on the ice. Hope this helps, Have a great time and hope to see you out there.

post-186-1232634752_thumb.jpg

post-186-1232634776_thumb.jpg

mikejson
Fatman: The walls are 2 x 2 with 2" blue styrofoam SM for insulation. The roof has 2" styrofoam. The floor has 4" of styrofoam. We took a 2 x 6 and cut the true 2" for the walls and roof out of it. Outside is galvanized siding.

Mikejson: I can go all weekend watching tv. With the solar panel facing south and low to the ground (reflection off of the snow), I get enough charge during the week when I am not there. Only draw back is solar accessories are expensive. Inside lights are $10 each but draw less than 1 amp. Outside flood lights are $60 each and draw less than 1 amp. Cost for a good set up will run more than a 1000 watt Honda.

Tracker - have you had any issues with battery freeze up when you weren't around or is that 85w panel giving enough charge into the batteries to keep them alive? Also, could you give a price range for a setup like yours?

Fatman, what Tracker said about insulation and size of the wall studs is for a balance between total weight and insulation factor. As long as you got a decent heat source, that type of setup will allow you to stay out even on the coldest days. Make sure everything is sealed good, and you'll be toasty warm :D

tracker

I should have mentioned that the styrofoam has to be fitted piece by piece as you want to insure air tight as possible. You do not want to put in vapor barrier, way too much moisture in a shack. Put in a vent on the wall with a window that opens on the opposite wall.

The panel keeps the batteries charged which keeps them from freezing.

The solar system will roughly be : 85 watt panel $750.00, 6 volt battery $110.00 x 4, charge regulator $65.00, invertor -Canadian Tire has them on sale 1/2 price $75.00- $200.00 depending on watts, misc wiring $30.00, 12 volt lights $ endless

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

mikejson
The panel keeps the batteries charged which keeps them from freezing.

The solar system will roughly be : 85 watt panel $750.00, 6 volt battery $110.00 x 4, charge regulator $65.00, invertor -Canadian Tire has them on sale 1/2 price $75.00- $200.00 depending on watts, misc wiring $30.00, 12 volt lights $ endless

More questions keep coming to mind as we talk...

What is the life expectancy of the batteries?

tracker

Since the batteries are only being used in the winter they should last at least ten years. I am on my 5th year on a set of used ones that are working just fine.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{