• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
troutchaser29

snowmobile insurance?

troutchaser29

How often do people get checked out for insurance for your snowmobile at popular spots like Lac/Whitefish? Do those game wardens check that or is it the OPP? If you dont have it, is it a gauranteed fine, or is there ever "warnings"?

Guest TerryK
How often do people get checked out for insurance for your snowmobile at popular spots like Lac/Whitefish? Do those game wardens check that or is it the OPP? If you dont have it, is it a gauranteed fine, or is there ever "warnings"?

Not 100% on this, but I'm fairly sure it's a guaranteed fine just like having no auto insurance. I do know that the no auto insurance fine is $5000.00.

:o

Bear

Gotta have and be able to produce it upon request by a police officer or I beleive a CO.

Here it is from the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act:

Insurance

12. (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act, and the owner of a motorized snow vehicle shall not permit any person to drive the vehicle unless the vehicle is so insured. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).

Production of evidence of insurance

(2) The driver of a motorized snow vehicle who drives or permits the driving of the motorized snow vehicle shall, upon the request of a police officer or conservation officer, produce evidence that the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).

Offence for failure to have insurance

(3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).

Offence for producing false evidence

(4) Every driver of a motorized snow vehicle who produces false evidence when required to produce evidence under subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (4).

Exemption

(5) This section does not apply to a person driving a motorized snow vehicle on land occupied by the owner of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (5).

Application of Part VI of Insurance Act

(6) A motorized snow vehicle shall be deemed to be a motor vehicle for the purposes of Part VI of the Insurance Act. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (2).

Guest Jighead

Insurance is a big waste of money but it is a must. I have looked around everywhere and one of the best prices I found was TD INSURANCE. Is not local but as long as you are insured in the Province of Ontario (where you live) you are free togo anywhere!!! Call 1.866.454.8910 they were fair to me.

troutchaser29
Waste of money until someone gets hurt.

How is a little pink peice of paper supposed to somehow protect someone from getting hurt?

I strongly beleive its one of those knee jerk reactions by the government to appease some southern ont lobby group after some one was hurt riding a machine too fast on some crowded groomed trail and tried to sue someone and found out they couldnt. Now, we all must have insurance, even those of us who have never used a snowmachine for anything other than fishing, and have never been on a groomed trail. Now, every one who doesnt have insurance, even all the retired fisherman driving old slow-poke machines are breaking the law?!?!?!

I agree that if you ride just to ride, on groomed trails, maybe insurance is a good idea, as liability protection (sadly) may be a good idea. But, to treat everyone who drives a snowmachine, and make law breakers out of all of us who dont have it, thats insane.

another bit of useless bureacracy, and a license to print money for the insurance companies.

Does anyone know if that is federal, or just here in ontario?

Guest TerryK

I didn't say a thing about it preventing injury, I figured it was obvious that you need insurance in case you hurt someone while on your machine. While I agree that the whole insurance issue needs looking at, I still feel it's necessary to protect people who get hurt, or who hurt someone.

I'm going to leave it at that because there are so many variables to this subject we could go on forever and it's guaranteed to get ugly.

Guest BannedCore

This is a topic that has been bugging me as well. The guy who goes fishing 2 or 3 times a year has to pay hundreds of dollars for insurance. There should be cheaper insurance for guys who only fish.