• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryK

Remember this?

Guest TerryK

Anyone remember this arch and where is was located? I do.

postcard.jpg

I wasn't around when this was taken, but I do remember the dock on the left and I also remember it burning in about 1968. Marina park area, circa 1922.

3622_ships_at_pier_1020.jpg

RJS

I remember that arch. Didn't that row of trees start around where D&R is? I believe the trees were planted to commemorate our fallen soldiers. I grew up near the waterfront but I don't remember those docks in the other picture. I do remember the boat yard where the Cadets have their boats now. I used to catch alot of monster pike off those docks. Does anyone remember the name of that Marina? The fishing was awesome in that whole area. Rob.

Bear

Isnt that arch where the CLE Grounds are/were in the "old days"? I beleive the view is looking north and the other side welcomed people to Fort William. Is the bridge we see not the McIntyre River? The rail crossing in the distance would be near what is Intercity Mall now.

Isnt the second picture the CPR Docks where freighters would unload and transfer freight into rail cars for furtherance west, now where Marina Park is?

I am dating myself.

Bear

crisop

that looks like simpson street bridge across from the golf dome

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest TerryK

RJS and Bear are right on. Those trees were planted in honor of local fallen soldiers and the street was renamed Memorial Ave. That bridge is indeed over the McIntyre river.

In the second picture, that is just as Bear described. The small building in the foreground is near where the small art gallery is now. (it may be the same building but I'm not sure)

Not sure if this is the same arch. I know the one on Memorial came down soon after the two cities amalgamated in 1970.

gill_kw_fort_william.jpg

Check out the angle of Cumberland St. in comparison to the Prince Arthur Hotel on the left.

portarthur-116gmnl2-luke.jpg

Bear

Seems to me there used to be an arch like that on Highway 61, between the swing bridge (James St) and the old Mount McKay turn off (Mountain Road). I wonder if that was it?

Bear

arvey

i remember those photos and i have an old post card that has the prince arthur in it and the old trolly bus. i also call the day we emalgimated black monday the bleakest day in pa's history.lol.

arvey

Jayfishin

Too bad they cut down all those trees that lined Memorial :angry: . Image how nice our downtown would have been now with those trees still in place, instead of the concrete jungle it is today!

Jay