• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
speckmaster

Fishing Theories...

speckmaster

I find it quite humorous when fishermen start trying to explain why the fishing is good or bad. Previous years when the fishing was slow, every guy had a different theory. When I was at the bait shop today I heard a theory explaining why the fishing at Lac has been good so far. Anyone out there care to share a theory?

Bear

The fisherpeople are putting the right bait into the water.....just a theory.

Bear

Guest Nick C

If the fish are hungry, then they will bite... if they are not... then tough luck. :lol: And yes i know... im sure there are many flaws in my theory as well....

Nick C

crisop

i'm with you nick.....if thier hungry they bite and if thier not hungry they don't bite

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

RLK

Jig it and they will come.

speckmaster

Hmmm... no one out there with theories on oxygen levels and rain in the Fall? I was expecting to be enlightened, but no one is sharing any good ones. :(

fishman1

the first bite at lac has always been good. towards the middle of jan. the bite will slow down. this is always the case.

Guest TerryK
Hmmm... no one out there with theories on oxygen levels and rain in the Fall? I was expecting to be enlightened, but no one is sharing any good ones. :(

Ohhhhhhh, you wanted REAL answers? lol

I have only top secret information therefore I can no longer comment. :P

I do think that feeding drops off later in the winter because of lower oxygen levels, unless you fish near an incoming stream or spring that brings in more oxygen.

speckmaster

Actually Terry I just wanted to be entertained. As I said before I get quite a kick out of some of the crazy explanations people come up with.

jiggin rap

"The walleyes have a tendacy to brush the minnows with there tail prior to eating them......of course this only occurs when the meal in pursuit is suckers. The dace minnrs get a different treatment....they get sucked on from behind and then devoured."

Also for those patiently waiting for spring;

"The steelies really start biting when the buds on the trees are the size of a mouse's ear".

Honestly gottttta love it

GC 54

"The steelies really start biting when the buds on the trees are the size of a mouse's ear".

I always heard it was the specs and not the steelies, and this is from a very refined source with proven results every time!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Gone8to1248

I find that the fish are really biting the best the day before I get to canada and the day after I leave to come home!! :lol: Collect enough random data about everything out there and you can make just about any theory work on a body of water.

gone8to1248

Guest TerryK
Actually Terry I just wanted to be entertained. As I said before I get quite a kick out of some of the crazy explanations people come up with.

lol, ok I'll try again: Fishing is always better during or after a rain.

Most of the time, pure crap.

Guest Kevin Green

I think the thick ice and heavy snow cover makes it a lot harder for the fish to locate your bait. The visibility down there must be drastically reduced. Also the mid winter temps of -30 would slow down the Walleyes metabolism.

Guest Nick C

The fish DON'T CARE lol. They eat because they must. Maybe we should just ask them what makes them tick.

Nick C

Guest Nick C

If you present it right, then the fish will strike. If you don't present it right then your chances arn't the best unless you just tick of the fish...thats what i think.

Nick C

Guest TerryK
If you present it right, then the fish will strike. If you don't present it right then your chances arn't the best unless you just tick of the fish...thats what i think.

Nick C

Not entirely true young Nick. If conditions are not right for feeding, fish will often not touch a thing no matter how well presented. I've seen, in shallow water, rainbows hitting everything that we put past them, then 10 minutes after a cold front hit and the temperature dropped 10 degrees, they just stopped. They all rose to the surface and just sat, only moving enough to keep from drifting downstream. Nothing we did would even elicit even the slightest move towards our bait. This was a real eye opener for me as to just how much fish are effected by barometric pressure.

Fish can also go for extended periods of time without eating. Again with rainbows, some go for literally weeks without eating during the spawning run. Theory is they hit purely out of instinct or aggression. Just because they are hungry, does not necessarily mean they will eat or strike.

Guest Nick C

Your right Terry. I guess I was talking about when all the conditions are good on the lakes and then it comes down to presentation right???? Or do i have to account for lunar phases and and the type of minnows or bait used as well? lol. Imagine what fishing was like in the first century! Just plain old fly fishing and net fishing. No rapalas, no lunds, no trolling motor, no weather network to tell you the barometric pressure, no real substantial over fishing up here, no 50 hp motors, no skidoos, no gas powered ice augers no trucks,etc........ We sure have it good eh folks? lol

Nick C

Castnblast
I find it quite humorous when fishermen start trying to explain why the fishing is good or bad. Previous years when the fishing was slow, every guy had a different theory. When I was at the bait shop today I heard a theory explaining why the fishing at Lac has been good so far. Anyone out there care to share a theory?

hey speckmeister...why don't you share the bait shop theory with us.

cnb

Castnblast

hey speckmeister...why don't you share the bait shop theory with us.

cnb

jiggin rap

''The reason why steelies are caught on jam balls is because during the spawn, loose eggs are dislodged from the nest and the nearest steelhead will scoop up these eggs and safetly return them to the nest''

......better set quick boys

Bottom Bouncer

My theory on Walleye...... Walleye are like a combination lock, right combination means an open lock or a limit in the boat. How many times have you heard they are not biting, then someone comes back to the dock with a limit and tells you they had a great day. I personally have fished spots and changed my presentation 3 times inside 45 minutes before they started chomping down. Then the guys in the boat are in disbelief. I've long-lined two or three #11 Rapalas behind the boat and put out three different colours and found one colour that day producing over another. Maybe 125 feet of line works on Sat. and 145 feet on Sun. I've changed Rapala sizes #9 one day #13 the next. Fact is that Walleye feed 24 hours a day seven days a week. OK, I'm giving GC54 way to many tips :D:D.... As for "BASS", my CARE METER reads "0". That's for you, Zimmer's. :D:D

REELBAIT

GC 54

OK, I'm giving GC54 way too many tips :D:D....

All dogs have their day Larry, I will get even. Right Zimmer, I owe you and Bernie both one.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters