• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vishuscirquel

New Year Lakers

vishuscirquel

Hi Y'all,

Have been eagerly awaiting Laker opening day for what seems like forever! Got out to a small local lake with a young lad i kinda mentor. Usually not my first choice for lakers, but with the lad along could not really take off to more adventurous venues. Anyway, we caught fish, the young lad caught his first laker and had an absolute blast., that really made my day.

We got our limit, and burped and returned a very small one, best one was 23", but thats a giant for Thunder Lake in my experience.

We fished a drop off in 50ft of water, most fish hitting at around 20-25', just above a cloud of baitfish that was there all day suspende between 40 and 20ft. You can see the smelt on the fisrt video clip at 40ft, this was pretty thin shaol, as when we got there they were suspended from 30 - 20 ft, a thick school ten feet deep, at first i thought it was the thermocline. I'm not even sure its smelt...but i included a pic of some of the baitfish i removed when cleaning the trout this evening...would appreciate someone telling me what they are.

Anyway, had a blast today, only managed 2 hours out, but that made it feel action packed...great for the kid....lol....and me.

Here's the vids and pics from today.

THIS LAKER JUST COULDN"T MAKE UP ITS MIND!

th_MVI_2557.jpg

SMELT?

IMG_2565.jpg

A FEW SHORT VIDS PASTED TOGETHER

th_thunderlake010109.jpg

DIFFERENT SHOTS OF THE BEST ONE OF THE DAY

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

eyelander

Good report Simon. I have seen laker's do that on a Vex enticing them up from bottom 20' or more, drives you nuts sometimes, lol.

The stomach contents could also be ciscoes, but they do look like smelt. I am not an expert in that area.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

I can't wait for laker season here. I love catching them!

Thanks for the report!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!