• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bighotdog

Lynx with baby kittens

Bighotdog

Seen the most amazing thing today and thought maybe to share with everyone. I was out riding on the snowmachine today around the yard and down the power lines a bit towards belrose when I was coming down the trail and spotted what looked like a cat. I went up a few more feet then noticed there were three of them all the same size and no tails. So I stopped the sled and shut her down for a few minutes and that is when I spotted the mom. Just gorgeous great size and beautiful winter coat on her. She was probably close to sixty pounds and the size of a med dog. I have never seen them with this many kittens before that is what amazed me the most. Anyway nice to see so close to the city and exspecially this time of year.

Some Old Guy

No Pictures????

No worries. I have been on many a sled ride and beat the hell outta myself for not having a camera.

One of the best was in the boat at Mountain Lake without a camera. We noticed a black spot in the middle of the lake and when we drove over to it, it was a big black bear defecting to the Canadian side. We kept our distance but could have got some great shots if we had a camera.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Castnblast
Seen the most amazing thing today and thought maybe to share with everyone. I was out riding on the snowmachine today around the yard and down the power lines a bit towards belrose when I was coming down the trail and spotted what looked like a cat. I went up a few more feet then noticed there were three of them all the same size and no tails. So I stopped the sled and shut her down for a few minutes and that is when I spotted the mom. Just gorgeous great size and beautiful winter coat on her. She was probably close to sixty pounds and the size of a med dog. I have never seen them with this many kittens before that is what amazed me the most. Anyway nice to see so close to the city and exspecially this time of year.

hey big dog, that's pretty cool. where did you spot those cats? I'm in that area as well.

cnb

Bighotdog
hey big dog, that's pretty cool. where did you spot those cats? I'm in that area as well.

cnb

To make it easier if you go up Belrose from John Street Rd and pass goods road there is a trail just up from there on the left that leads to the back side of my place near the power lines and the expressway. Just off of belrose within five minutes the trail splits and goes down river or right toward the powerlines. I went right and there they were just beautiful to see. I have seen many lynx before but like this never. Once me and an old buddy were out hunting small game in the dog river area and came across a huge Lynx trapped in a rabbit snare. We did everything we could we even gave the poor cat all of our lunch. The snare was metal wire so we could'nt even shoot it . We drove all the way to the esso by Lac and called the ministry. Not one person that weekend could help us out because they just wouldn't come out there. The best advise we were given was to go and throw a blanket or our jacket over the cats head and free it like that. Well if anyone has ever been that close to a Lynx and heard its Damm Scary growl then you know I wouldn' t even try such a crazy thing. Oh well that is another little story from the past. We went back the next day and the only thing left was the paw in the snare. We didn't see much blood so we don't know what happened to it.

Castnblast
To make it easier if you go up Belrose from John Street Rd and pass goods road there is a trail just up from there on the left that leads to the back side of my place near the power lines and the expressway. Just off of belrose within five minutes the trail splits and goes down river or right toward the powerlines. I went right and there they were just beautiful to see. I have seen many lynx before but like this never. Once me and an old buddy were out hunting small game in the dog river area and came across a huge Lynx trapped in a rabbit snare. We did everything we could we even gave the poor cat all of our lunch. The snare was metal wire so we could'nt even shoot it . We drove all the way to the esso by Lac and called the ministry. Not one person that weekend could help us out because they just wouldn't come out there. The best advise we were given was to go and throw a blanket or our jacket over the cats head and free it like that. Well if anyone has ever been that close to a Lynx and heard its Damm Scary growl then you know I wouldn' t even try such a crazy thing. Oh well that is another little story from the past. We went back the next day and the only thing left was the paw in the snare. We didn't see much blood so we don't know what happened to it.

thanks for the reply. I'm at goods and woodcrest and run up & down those trails (and powerline) often on a dirt bike or quad. I'll keep my eyes open. (I have seen a few timber wolves this winter off goods & belrose) Have you?

For being so elusive by nature, it's surprising how close you can get to a lynx before they spook. One guy I know was sitting in his truck on an old bailey bridge, looking up the river and an adult cat popped up from the side and walked the bridge beam right past him across the river. He had his camera, and got numerous shots of the lynx from 5 feet away.

I remember the first lynx I saw in the bush vividly. I was 12 or 13, fishing specks on Dufault Lake, and the lynx was perched up on a big boulder, surrounded by cedar on the shore looking into the lake. Probably scoping out a few finning brook trout. They are an awesome creature forsure.

cnb

Bighotdog

Yes I have seen the same wolf more then once. Actually the last time I was walking the river just before sunset right after supper and the same wolf was on the river bank. Dark brown coat and definetly well fed.

Guest TerryK

Cool story. I've seen Lynx, Bobcat, Wolf, Bear, Porcupine, Deer, Moose, Mink, Weasel, Otter, Beaver, and my daughter even saw a Wolverine, all withing a half km. of my house on Hodder ave. Pretty amazing to see all this so called shy wildlife right in the city.

Guest Nick C

I agree Terry. I saw a mountain lion behind the Canadian tire on Arthur street. That was scary. Thats also another story.

Nick C

NWO Fishing Bum

Awesome story. Lynx are one of those species you come into close contact with in the bush but don't see 95% of the time as they quietly crouch and watch you go past. But when you do see them, they don't seem to scamper away. Awsome, (relatively) monstrous paws on lynx.

NWO Fishing Bum