• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Silver Harbour

Spent the afternoon on saturday out on the ice at Silver Harbour. There was about 8 shacks out there and it was obvious that some fish were being caught, as we could see them outside of the shacks. We tried amongst the shacks with no luck, we got there around 1:30 and fished until 5:30. We were using swedish pimples, jigs and minnows, straight hooks with minnows and split shots above as well as small white tube jigs and various other jigging spoons. Not a fish, I've fished this area in the summer lots and have caught lots of lake trout, salmon, steelhead, pike and whitefish. From what I have gathered this area is mainly a producer of herring and whitefish in the winter with the odd laker being a bonus. Any hints or tips for fishing that area through the ice? anything at all would be helpful

p.s. im also walking on foot so distance is a concern.

Brodie K.

Where were you on the lake or on the harbour?

Nick C

We just walked out from the boat launches, around to the outside of the small peninsula thing there, where all the shacks are. Seems we were in the right area but i think depth of lure and actions are what im most curious about.

Guest Nick C

Peter pointed out to me that it drops from about 6 feet to something like 40-50 feet around 20 feet offshore (I could have my depths wrong because I can't remember exactley). That might be a good area to try for some salmon and evetything else I guess lol. Good structure as well.

Nick C

Guest Kevin Green

The insides of those shacks is like a dark room everything is blacked out because the light penetrates the ice and lights up the crystal clear water beneth allowing you to sight fish for the herring. If you don't have one bring a tarp or something to block out the light, lay on the ice and look down the hole. You will be amazed at what you can see. Last year I was there and sight fished like this and caught a Herring, then a school of about 50 smelts came in. I couldn't catch any but it was fun to try. If you have worms you can catch the smelts on a tiny little piece my brother has done this.

Also when the ice is forming and makes those loud thunderous cracking noises it seems to scare the fish.

We were using tiny White tube jigs and tiny little silver jigging spoons.

Good Luck

Kevin

The insides of those shacks is like a dark room everything is blacked out because the light penetrates the ice and lights up the crystal clear water beneth allowing you to sight fish for the herring. If you don't have one bring a tarp or something to block out the light, lay on the ice and look down the hole. You will be amazed at what you can see. Last year I was there and sight fished like this and caught a Herring, then a school of about 50 smelts came in. I couldn't catch any but it was fun to try. If you have worms you can catch the smelts on a tiny little piece my brother has done this.

Also when the ice is forming and makes those loud thunderous cracking noises it seems to scare the fish.

We were using tiny White tube jigs and tiny little silver jigging spoons.

Good Luck

Kevin

I have done that last year and it is pretty cool too see down that far. I was also watching a school of herring going after my spoon and ended up catching one. I was thinking about taking one of my old tents and cutting some squares in the floor to put over the holes to make a wind break to sit in. Anyone ever done this rather than buying a shack? Are there any obvious issues with this plan that I have missed?

Brodie K.

eyelander

Yes it will work, the issue is setting it up, or taking it down if its windy out.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest mnaiman

I've done the tent shelter deal and honestly...unless your using one of those Can Tire pop up tents, everything just blows around too much.

Guest doddzy
I've done the tent shelter deal and honestly...unless your using one of those Can Tire pop up tents, everything just blows around too much.

here's Silver harbour last friday :D

post-585-1231789379_thumb.jpg

Mr. Canoehead
I have done that last year and it is pretty cool too see down that far. I was also watching a school of herring going after my spoon and ended up catching one. I was thinking about taking one of my old tents and cutting some squares in the floor to put over the holes to make a wind break to sit in. Anyone ever done this rather than buying a shack? Are there any obvious issues with this plan that I have missed?

Brodie K.

In many tents, you can't stand up, or even sit in a chair. That would leave you on the ice, and if you're on the ice you're gonna be cold. I would bring a foamie or some sleeping pad, lay half thick a blanket over it, then lay down on it and fold the other half over you, and covering the hole. When you start getting cold, get up and move around, drill holes, do jumping jacks, run laps, whatever it takes to warm up! Oh yeah, the other thing about using a tent is that light would still penetrate so you really won't get the full darkness.

When I get my portable shack I'll probably go straight to Silver Harbor or LTB, and if I'm flying solo as usual, I'll post an invite in the hook-ups section.

Good luck and see you out there,

John

Phil

I got a pak shack single man for christmas last year and it is pretty good for $100. I used it at silver harbour and it was great, you could see everything down there. Only reason I don't like it is I feel anti social while fishing with the gang but I do recommend it if you dont want to spend too much. B)

Thefishleclair

Fish about 2-6 feet under the ice....Nice long pulls on yer jiggin rod using a willaims whitefish jiggin spoon....If yer sight fishin them when they come in just start twitching the lure and jet it shaking.....Then wait for the bump......

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

NWO Fishing Bum

Back to your main question, Fresh....that stuff in tight to the shore is mainly herring fishing this time of year. A group of 3 at Silver Harbour on Sunday (day after you) caught 6 lakers but went out about a kilometer. I often fish 2-3 kilometers out for lakers, though I don't like Silver Harbour as much as the break off the top end of the Giant, east of Caribou Island. You do however want a sled to be going out that far.

NWO Fishing Bum

Thanks alot guys, all are good tips. I am mostly concerned about cutting the wind with the tent idea, it would be nice to be blacked out but I cant be too picky. Do the lake trout move out farther in the winter? In the fall I catch tons of lakers fishing from shore at silver harbour, or trolling the inside of mary island out to the farthest point with the reef. Are the lake trout hugging the bottom or suspended somewhere higher in the water column. Once again thanks alot everyone for all the good advice and help.

Brodie K.

NWO Fishing Bum

Yes Fresh,

The lakers are deeper now than in the fall (when they are spawning). I catch most lakers out there over 70'-110' of water, sometimes very close to bottom and others about 10'-25' up from bottom, though I have also seen a couple hooked fairly high in the water column (not as common in my experiences though).

NWO Fishing Bum

Thefishleclair

Were ya out with a Guy on a VIPER NWO?????

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB