• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest superD45

AYA - Thunder Bay

Guest superD45

Hey everybody - new to the forum... I was curious if anyone has any information on this years AYA (Angler Young Angler) Tournament. I couldn't fish it last year, so I don't want to miss this years event.

Does anyone have any info - dates? contacts? etc...

Thanks!

GC 54

As per the above link, yes it is scheduled for Saturday, July 4th, 2009, however, details are still being worked on and registration has not yet begun. There will be an annoucement at the end of the month. Stay tuned!

This is a great fun event that brings the biggest and brightest smiles to the kids, especially when they go up to claim their prize. If you are unable to participate in this event, maybe you can volunteer, but at least come out to the weigh in and watch the fun.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Nick C

I disagree. I don't think its just for rich people, not when young anglers like you and me can participate for free. And besides, 150 dollars for the older angler is about the same entry fee as a lot of other major fishing tournaments! I don't know of many other fishing tournaments where you can enter for free and possibly come out with a boat as a top prize! I think its a great tournament for kids and adults. We learn new tips and information to make us better anglers as well... maybe we could be a team if you want :D

Nick C

Trevor Zimak
I disagree. I don't think its just for rich people, not when young anglers like you and me can participate for free. And besides, 150 dollars for the older angler is about the same entry fee as a lot of other major fishing tournaments! I don't know of many other fishing tournaments where you can enter for free and possibly come out with a boat as a top prize! I think its a great tournament for kids and adults. We learn new tips and information to make us better anglers as well... maybe we could be a team if you want :D

Nick C

Nick, If someone offered to take you and a friend out for the day fishing (for example, the AYA) I would find it hard to believe that you would not offer to help pay some of the cost. Different story is you were 12 years old.

Guest Nick C

Of course I would help cover the cost Trevor. All I meant is that it is a great oppurtunity for young anglers to get out and a enjoy a tournament experience! Im 17 and for me to not help the angler taking us out would be rude and Im sorry if my previous post read wrong.

Nick C

Guest Drew

lol it is just for rich people , all you see is stupid rich people in there stupid 120hp+ boats.

lol i tried to get in last year and no luck so im not going to ask this year and get my hopes up...

Buck 120

Drew, the tournament is not just for rich people. While there a lot of people with high powered and expensive boats, there are also non-expensive boats. My oldest son went with his cousin and a friend of mine in a hand painded aluminum lund with the 15 hp on the back. I think he paid $300 for the boat. LOL.

The kids had a blast. My son's school friend, eleven year old Nikko reeled up a 10.91 lbs walleye on his first cast of the day! He won first prize.

The event has many sponsors and volunteers, without which would not be able to run.

This is the background and purpose of the tournament:

The Angler & Young Angler Walleye Championship began in 1998 when Tournament Founder, Andrew Klopak decided he wanted to fish in a competitive style tournament on opening day with his son. Seeing that there were no tournaments that catered to adult and young anglers…he created his own.

2008 Angler & Young Angler International Champions Jordyn Colter, Sean Colter, Tyler Danielson

The main objective is to introduce and educate young anglers to competitive sport fishing in a fun environment surrounded by family and friends while creating memories that will last a lifetime. Each team in the tournaments consists of one angler and two young anglers, 17 and under. Each event includes official weigh-in, prizes, awards and BBQ to follow a hard day’s fishing. The winner of each regional event qualifies for the opportunity to participate in the National Championship.

The success of the original Manitoba tournament has lead to the expansion into North America! The Angler & Young Angler Fishing Tournaments continues to grow rapidly every year with an International Championship held in August on beautiful Lake of the Woods, Kenora, ON. In order to expand the exposure of youth fishing, a complete television special is produced each year featuring the regional events as well as the Championship.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

DJL66
lol it is just for rich people , all you see is stupid rich people in there stupid 120hp+ boats.

lol i tried to get in last year and no luck so im not going to ask this year and get my hopes up...

Drew

Don't be bitter about not getting in the first time you ask. I left you a pm last year stating that I would take you out if my Nephew was not able to go but he was able to commit for that day. I never did receive a reply back from you. Ask around again this year before you write it off. This was a really great day with lots of prizes for everyone including those that did not catch any fish. You are wrong to say that it is for rich people in thier 120hp+ boats. I would hope that you would at least get out and volunteer to see just exactly what this fun tourny is all about before you judge it with a negative attitude.

If I have room in my boat this year I will send you a pm and I'll even waive the entry fee for you.

Don

Guest Drew

i doubt ill get in LOL.

so im not gonna judge but i'll try to volunteer if im not back at my reserve.

and i doubt you'll see any untuned boats there , ill bet anybody that all the boats there will be over 120hp

Some Old Guy

I'll take that bet. Mine is only 75 hp. LOL!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Trevor Zimak

Rog... that's baby power. The new 300XS is on its way...................... :) :)

Some Old Guy

Drew, compared to what's out there it's baby power as Trevor stated. But Trev, let's check our wallets after a day of prefishing................

Roger

Gone8to1248

Drew if you really want in the AYA this year I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put up the entry fee and the boat if we can get a member from the board here to drive it and take you out for the contest. I'm sure we can find someone who knows the river that will be willing to donate their time for the day to go fishing. Is their a member on here that would want to take a couple of kids fishing please let me know and we can set it up. Fast boats don't catch fish! The guy holding the rod does though!

Bernie

Bear

Drew:

Wah wah wah, boo hoo. You wont get a lot of symapthy from me. Put your name in and hopefully you will get drawn. I have had to be on a waiting list for tournaments before, no fun, but thats life. As they grow in popularity (SSS) more people want to become involved.

Here are a few facts, I speak from experience, and I have lots of it. The fastest fanciest boat does not always win the tournaments. It is all skill and some luck. The first Kenora Bass tournament I fished in was out of a 16 foot Naden tin boat with a 30 HP Yamaha. The "live Well' was a cooler, two fishing rods each and enough tackle to put in a small duffle bag, along with our lunch. There were 150 boats in the tournament. We finished 30th, cashed a cheque. We fished tournaments this way for four years, always in the money. 16 foot tin boat 30 HP motor. I think I can still go in the KBI and use the same set up and finish respectable. I fished a tournament here in Kenora last spring, about 12 boats. I borrowed a 16 fooot tin boat, 50 HP motor, no electric motor. It was a catch and release tournament, guess who won?? I did my overall length for three bass was pushing 70 inches, figure out the weight. I cashed a cheque and got some bragging rights.

I fish Sioux Narrows Bass Tournament, my partner has a 17 foot Lund boat 115 HP. We finished after 3 days of fishing in 26th, lots of the "fast boats" we behind us. I know the guys who placed in the top 10 of this tournament a few years ago. They actually blew up their motor and had no gas power. They fished off their electric motor for two days and finished in the top 10. Cashed a cheque.

Bernie and I fished Shebandowan last fall, not the fastest or fanciest boat on the water, (18 foot 115HP) but we finished very respectably. We probably boated 80 fish in the three days we spent on the water, was it the boat? I dont think so.

These are just a few examples. What I am tring to say is it is not the boat/motor, the fancy ones look real nice, but it is the skill of the angler. Period.

Put your name in and I am sure someone will take you. If not Bernie, let me know the dates and I may be your captain. I have not fished on the Kam River for 40 years, but I think I could find some fish. Depends on my tournament schedule and my health.

Drew, think positive it works on and off the water. I am already thinking of the tournaments I am fishing this summer and have all the confidence in the world that I will be there and finish well.

My rant for the week.

Da Bear

Bill Arnott

Ya we must be stupid - working and saving for years to buy a boat and carefully managing priorities so that we can enjoy tournament fishing.

Even dumber we then offer to take two youngsters out and pay the shot so they can experience the thrill we all get from these competitions.

Trip to Thunder Bay + accomodations + food + bait + gas + oil + etc = about $700 I dropped on this event.

My two co-anglers had a great time...well worth it. They may think I'm stupid too but they aren't stupid enough to say so as I could quickly find two other kids to join me.

You have already eliminated yourself from that possiblity with your crappy attitude...no urge to spend the day with negativity.

Want a nice boat etc.../ Get a job and start working towards it instead of directing your frustrations towards others who have done so for themselves.

Bears advice on positive thinking is pure gold....take it.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

GC 54

First of all, there were many boats with less than 120 HP in last year's AYA. There should be absolutely no negativity to this event. Considering the climatic conditions and the conditions of the river, this event was an absolute success.

As for positive thinking, it works, put it to use, it will take you alot further in life than negativity ever will.

As for the need for speed, it wont make a hill of beans this year, because everyone will be starting on the river (sorry to let the cat out of the bag), so there are speed limits. This will allow more fishing time as well for the smaller craft, especially those with less than 120 hp.

Drew, and others, I apologize that you were not able to team up with someone last year to take part. You have expressed interest again, however, the negative interest has over shadowed you. I truly hope that you will be able to take part and come back to this board and tell us about the great time you had, and maybe even tell us about the winning fish you caught.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Thefishleclair

Wooaahhhh Woooaaaaahhh...Drew has a Point..He dont have to be as blunt as he was but he makes a good valid opinion..Ill see if I can round up a few Boaters to take some kids out!!

Lets keep this topic at a friendly levle and no bickering...GONE yer one heck of a man to put an offer out like that..Hats off to ya

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Gone8to1248

AYA Angler young Angler! The first time I heard about that I was thinking it was about Proffesional or Semi-Proffesional fisherman taking under privladge kids fishing for a day and jumped in with both feet. Later I found out that isn't the case, that it was just the average everyday kids in those boats. Winning Prizes and Money isn't really what it's all about when it comes to the bottom line, or it shouldn't be anyway. Ask these kids later down the road what THEY thought about it and look at the look in their eyes and you will see it's more about chance! The chance of a lifetime for some kids to be able to say at one point in there live they had a dream made for them. I've fished all over the place in my lifetime and will do many more trips hopefully but if I had to talk about any of these trips and the one I remember most and meant the most I would have to say it was having the CHANCE to fish the Nipigon River with someone as great as TBF's own Randy(Beamer). No prize or amount of money could ever over shadow that memory of the time spent fishing with Randy. I fished the Fall Shebandowan Smallmouth Tournament last fall with Bear and had a chance to fish against some of Thunder Bays great smallie fisherman like Trevor Zimak and George Clark any a list to long to type out here. These are people I have a lot of respect for and just to be able to say I fished with and against them can't have a price tag on it. The fun I had and the knowladge I got was priceless and no amount of money or prizes can compete with it.

Maybe there should be a contest someday were kids who have nothing or no contact with fishing but would lke to go out for a day could get THEIR CHANCE. To them it wont be about money or prizes, wether they get a new fishing pole or a single lure for fishing in it wont matter to them, the fact they they had the chance to will meen even more.

As far as Drew's remarks go let us all keep in mind that he is just a young kid and we should all take what is said with a grain of salt. And for Drew I have this question for you, "What are you going to say if you get into the contest and wind up in a boat with 120hp motor and you win? How do you thank that stupid rich person with the big fast boat for taking you out for the day? I think a lot of people would like to hear what you would say. By the way if you take me up on my offer My new boat has a 75hp ETEC on it, and the offer still stands. Wether you are in it or not my boat will be entered in the AYA and will be ready for a couple of kids to step into it so don't take to long thinking about it. I'm also serious about finding someone who knows the river and would like to drive it that day.

Gone8to1248

Bernie

Trevor Zimak
Ya we must be stupid - working and saving for years to buy a boat and carefully managing priorities so that we can enjoy tournament fishing.

Even dumber we then offer to take two youngsters out and pay the shot so they can experience the thrill we all get from these competitions.

Trip to Thunder Bay + accomodations + food + bait + gas + oil + etc = about $700 I dropped on this event.

My two co-anglers had a great time...well worth it. They may think I'm stupid too but they aren't stupid enough to say so as I could quickly find two other kids to join me.

You have already eliminated yourself from that possiblity with your crappy attitude...no urge to spend the day with negativity.

Want a nice boat etc.../ Get a job and start working towards it instead of directing your frustrations towards others who have done so for themselves.

Bears advice on positive thinking is pure gold....take it.

>Bill

I agree with this statement 100% However, the first time I went in a tournament I was 15 and there were a lot of teams with 120+ hp engines. We fished with a little tin boat with a borrowed 25hp motor. We got our asses handed to us, but I sure had a great time. Met Bob and Wayne Izumi, Al and Ron Lindner... got some pictures, it was awesome.

So what did I do... I stayed positive that I would get better and buy my own boat with a 120+hp engine. So the Monday I go home from the tournament (The Kenora Bass International) I got a job. Saved for 5 years and bought my first boat. 18' bass boat with a 150. (Two years later upgraded to a 175). Now 25, and 5 years down the road, I bought a brand new rig. Much bigger and faster.

The boat and how fast you go with not catch the fish for you, but take my advice. You will find that you will go much further on a positive attitude rather than a negative one.

+1 for me Bill

Some Old Guy

I did more thinking on Drew's comment.

*i'd rather play halo 3 and chill with ma buddys*

This remark is what really gets me. You'd rather play halo 3 with your buddies.............. ?

First, If the gaming system wasn't a gift meaning you bought it with your own money or selling other stuff to purchase it, Why didn't you use the coin to buy some fishing stuff.

Second, Instead of using the focus and concentration that you use trying to get to the end of the game, use the focus and concentration and practice using the fishing equipment. I'm sure I'm not the only one that'll practice casting in the snow!

Third, Chill with your buddies? Some chillin' with buddies is cool. But why not get your buddies together and go fishing. I remember being a kid and heading down the Achigan Creek fishing for specks the whole day. Or even the upper MacIntyre River. Those hold huge memories for me. I can't imagine getting to the end of a video game is going to build fond memories.

Here's an example 20 years from now,

Hey Johnnie, Remember that time we fished the MacIntyre River and you hooked that nice steelhead and it just ran on you? You had to chase that fish down for 10 minutes before we even saw it. We finally landed it just as the line broke!

Or

Hey Johnnie, Remember that time you killed the third level boss in that game, hmmmmm what was it..... Halo 1? Halo2, halo3? Anyways I can't remember which one it was, but remember that? It was the 19th time you killed him. That was awesome.

Anyways I hope you get my drift. Get out there and make stuff happen for yourself. If you don't make it happen it's hard for others to help you.

Roger