• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest doddzy

Can you sharpen auger blades?

Guest doddzy

Does anyone know if blades can be resharpened? I just nicked my new set and it was pretty tough cutting today. It cut down my fishing time! B)

Thefishleclair

Yup....There is a post on the board somewhere about sharpening yer own....A good file and a decent stone will get ya back into shape

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

fishman1

pretty tough my friend, you must get the angle perfect.

Bottom Bouncer

I bring the chipper blades from work to.... LUDWIG A M SAW SHOP on Carrick St. Maybe give them a call and see if they would do them and get a price. They might charge more to sharpen than to replace but they will do a great job. Because like Fishman1 said it's all about proper angle.

REELBAIT

Guest Beamer

I use a big stone made for sharpening axes, two sided coarse on one side fine on the other. I use the coare to smooth the knicks and the fine for sharpening. The stone is big enough to get the whole blade on it at once. Keep the angle the same and use counter clock wise rotations left to right and after a couple of goes you can shave with it.

Beamer

Thefishleclair
I use a big stone made for sharpening axes, two sided coarse on one side fine on the other. I use the coare to smooth the knicks and the fine for sharpening. The stone is big enough to get the whole blade on it at once. Keep the angle the same and use counter clock wise rotations left to right and after a couple of goes you can shave with it.

Beamer

Well said Beamer.....Ive sharpened blades over a hundred times both for work and personal use, A good file and a stone will get you a long way for yer blades...I ve sharpend Jiffy ripper blades and even the swede bore ones too...Dont be afraid to try...The worst yer gunna do is have to buy a new set!!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest doddzy

Thanks for everyone's help. I will price it at Ludwig and Gary Tanner and post the costs. I don't have any stones and will leave it to someone with experience. On one post Roger was talking about shimming the blades. Whats the purpose of this? Will it help me catch more of these cute little guys! :D

post-585-1232252131_thumb.jpg

Some Old Guy

Actually shimming just helps get the angle of your blades. I remember when shims were sold in the pack with the blades. I haven't used an armstrong auger for a long time.

There's a sharpener called AcuSharp. They have it at DnR. It's made to sharped auger blades. Has anyone tried it?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!