• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vishuscirquel

SLEDS MAIDEN VOYAGE

vishuscirquel

Hi Y'all,

Well I finally got my sled from the thieves (garage) :thumbsup_anim: , and decided to test it out. I wanted to see if it could make it up the steep 300m hill with the 3 man portable and all my gear in it....NO WORRIES!!!!! would have made it up even with a big person going 2 -up. I was really nervous about taking it out, and it almost stopped me going fishing, after all the crap I’ve had with it i don’t have much confidence in it. But i checked all the oil, anti-freeze etc...etc...and just went for it....glad i did, i feel a bit better about it.

The weather has also improved...its been sunny recently...not much wind either, but like the rest of Canada its been dang freezin'! yesterday morning it was minus 40 degrees C when i walked out....lol...decided not to go fishing pretty quick, but today it was a balmy minus 15C.

YESTERDAY MORNINGS THERMOMETER !!

IMG_2617.jpg

The sun was out this morning, and so were the deer, they looked cold though...lol. There was a bit of wind but no probs with the shelter...geeeeze...I’m becoming such a wimp now i have the shelter...last year i was almost wearing T-shirts in minus 15 C.

SORRY GUYS, MY LAWN IS COVERED WITH SNOW.....AND YOU ALREADY ATE ALL MY SHRUBS.....LOL

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

After a lot of false starts i finally got loaded up and was headed to Thunder Lake, arriving pretty late at 11:30 am. The sled even started with the electric start...that was nice! I hooked up the shelter and made my way down the slope to the lake, trying not to think too much about whether it would make it back up. I could still see the patch we cleared about 2 weeks ago so headed straight to it, as we hammered èm pretty good on that spot, and because i had little snow to clear was good to go in less than 10 minutes. It was even quicker set up because i put a new Ripper blade on my Jiffy lightning, i thought my other blades were sharp but thought I’d just swap and see if there was a difference....HOLY ........it was like a knife through butter! guess my other blade was not as sharp as i thought.

FINALLY GOT OUT WITH MY SLED....WAS SET UP IN NO TIME!

IMG_2620.jpg

After about an hour i thought i was gonna get skunked! Nothing showing on the sonar. Last time i was on this spot there were 10 foot thick schools of smelt....not today. I waited...and waited and was finally rewarded with a really little guy that just appeared outta nowhere at only 10 feet below the ice in 50 FOW. I was using sucker minnows and jigs. Right after that my other line set around the 15`FOW started spooling....another little guy!

THIS GUY SAVED THE DAY!

th_skunkavoided.jpg

ANOTHER LITTLE GUY FOLLOWED CLOSE BEHIND

th_anotherlittleguy.jpg

After that little flurry, normal service resumed, and i sat staring at a blank sonar screen for another hour, i tried every lure, jig, tube jigs, small minnows, large minnows, huge sucker minnows in various combinations.....NADA!

I noticed a small deviation in the bottom line of the graph, and quickly dropped down to the bottom, as soon as my minnow came within 10 feet of bottom, three thick graph lines screamed up to meet it, i thought it was ling, as they started to bite about 2pm last time i came out, and when i was reeling up the first strike i thought it was a ling with all the weird head shaking....i was wrong...it was a decent sizes trout for Thunder Lake. I got another medium one which i put back, followed by 2 missed bites/break offs, and landed another around the same size as the first keeper .

THATS MORE LIKE IT!

th_nicerone.jpg

ALL DOWN THE BOTTOM TODAY

th_downthebottomtoday.jpg

A good day on the ice again, nice to be on my own sled, now really looking forward to our NWO meet up next weekend, two days of fishing, staying in a cabin on a walleye lake the first night, then the next morning sledding into my favourite(so far) Laker and Whitefish lake, only brkygetr from this forum and a couple more from an ice fishing forum, around 9 or 10 of us....should be awesome!

till then...see yas.