• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arvey

smallmouth versus walleye

arvey

here's some questions you guys can chew if you'd like.

after the spawn what is the mortality rate with smallies apposed to walleye's?

how long does it take for a smallie to get to say 2 lb's apposed to walleye's?

i read an article on this debate on smallies taken over a lake,i beleive it was walleye insider from last year. in that article they had done somewhat of a study,after the walleye had spawned they tested smallies from the same area and found no walleye fry had been taken and they did it in reverse with smallies and found the thing. the way it was written i took it to be that there really was no conclusive evidence that they ate each others fry.

Some Old Guy

Hi Arvey,

Like I said before it all depends on the body of water. Lake Erie and Lake Ontario supported both for ages.

I always read studies carefully. It's to hard to study one eco system and apply the results for everything.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Gone8to1248

could fishing pressure for a specific species on a lake make it look like another species is taking that lake over. Example: Some have said Lac's smallmouth population is exploding and growing. Could it that it only looks that way because of all the walleye that are being caught and taken out of it?

Bernie

Resource Pimp
could fishing pressure for a specific species on a lake make it look like another species is taking that lake over. Example: Some have said Lac's smallmouth population is exploding and growing. Could it that it only looks that way because of all the walleye that are being caught and taken out of it?

Bernie

Well, if you were catching less walleye than normal and more bass I would agree with what your saying BUT if your catching just as many walleyes as normal and more bass, I would have to say the bass population is growing. I havn't heard many complain about the walleye fishing in Lac.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

arvey

roger is right,it depends on the body of water.

with that aside,consider this. your out fishin and your getting lots of real small smallies like 4"s how many times has this happen to you walleye fishing? you can't include the time of year because i've caught at any given time and in all differant depths. we've probably all caught smallies in strange situations,last year i was trolling for lakers in the spring.

i was maybe 15ft deep,i had on a pretty good size rap and a smallie tag it and could'nt have been more than 6 inches long. they seem to more aggresive at certains times and it doesn't matter the size. last year at sandstone i had my fish tv in the boat watching my wife jigging,there was a few wallies around and not to bad of size,but those little smallies were nailing that jig with a leech on like crazy. soon as it the water now maybe some people would think that wallies are being pushed out i don't know if that would be true.

arvey