• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BannedCore

ice fishing for BIG pike???

Guest BannedCore

Hello guys and gals I am going to a one day Pike ice fishing derby in Chapleau and need some advice. what depths and locations would you target for big pike during the winter? Any help would be appreciated.

bigfish
Hello guys and gals I am going to a one day Pike ice fishing derby in Chapleau and need some advice. what depths and locations would you target for big pike during the winter? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey, Barry when is this derby?

I think I know a guy that can help you on this but he is in school.

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

Guest aanii84

Hey Hardcore,

I usually find big pike during the daytime as I'm waiting for the pickerel bite to turn on at dusk. So I guess what I'm saying I would do is set up where you would hope to catch other fish like pickeral or perch. The pike usually are not far, as I assume they are feeding on the others. I just caught a couple quite large ones this weekend in the afternoon, just waiting for dusk. A large sucker minnow will probably keep your bait free and safe from smaller fish. I also sometimes flash a big spoon and jig it aggresively, if the large pike dosn't bite the spoon itself it might attract it in and hopefully notice the sucker minnow. I might also try dressing the jig with some red hair, or use a bucktail (I am partial to red). These are just my opinions of course so I wouldn't bet the farm that they will work for sure.

By the way, I fished with a guy this summer who previously won that tournement, In his nice 12 foot lund with 4 strock Honda (first prize). I can't remember the exact weight that he won with but it was not that large, 6 to 9 pounds if I recall correctly. Best of luck to you

Guest adams

ive heard going to a&p and getting a herring. defintitely big enough to keep the smaller ones away. tried it once but never saw it work. youd have to think whatever bites that has got to be pretty big.

Bear

Big bait big fish. I would use a large cisco or even a larger sucker if you can get one whole. I mean 12" long. Use a three way swivel and hook it with large treble hooks head and tail, using 8" leaders from the three way to the hooks. I would suspend it along summer weedbeds in about 12 feet of water. I would suspend it in about 8 feet of water. If you get no action keep going deeper.

I would also consider jigging a large piece of plastic resembling a baitfish or a flashy spoon and jig them in.

Good luck.

Bear

fisherdude

how has no one said a large dead sucker?.. id have a dead sucker one a tip up and a live one or spoon on a rod..

Guest BannedCore

bigfish it is Feb 14. Thanks for the advice guys what you have shared helps with what my plan is going to be. This derby is now all cash prizes. a 14lber won it last year $10,000. The only problem is not knowing the layout of the system ie drop offs and flats so on and so on. My one buddy did fish it a few years ago so he does know a few spots. Once again thanks for the advice and keep it coming I am already thankful for this help.

bigfish
bigfish it is Feb 14. Thanks for the advice guys what you have shared helps with what my plan is going to be. This derby is now all cash prizes. a 14lber won it last year $10,000. The only problem is not knowing the layout of the system ie drop offs and flats so on and so on. My one buddy did fish it a few years ago so he does know a few spots. Once again thanks for the advice and keep it coming I am already thankful for this help.

Thank hardcorefishing

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

Croat

I use a large dead sucker minnow,put right on the bottom.Sometimes I`ll chum so they can pickup the scent.