• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Aluminium Hulls.

Some Old Guy

Well here goes.

Rivited or welded?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bottom Bouncer

FIBERGLASS! :D:D:D

REELBAIT

Some Old Guy

T.......I.........T..........L.........E......

Read the title. Once again, read the title. :)

Roger

Bottom Bouncer

R..........I..........V..........I............T..........E...........D :lol: I did read it :D I was just making a funny :lol:

REELBAIT

Some Old Guy

I know you were. I just knew someone was gonna say fiberglass too!

Roger

GC 54

Stop and think about it, would you fly in a welded plane, I wouldn't. :rolleyes:

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bear

Welded I have had my old tub for a number of years and have given it some pretty good poundings across Lake of the Woods, never a leak. Prefer welded for less drag, but I suppose rivets have thei good points too. Rivets do pop occassionally but welds can break.

There's some sitting on the fence.

Bear

DJL66

Well my last 3 boats were rivited and all but 1 leaked (Lund). I now have a welded boat but not by choice just that's what was available at the time in the price I wanted to spend. I have no problem with either method and feel that both rivited and welded could have potential problems especially if the owners do not respect the conditions and pound the crap out of the boat day in and day out. Planes are under alot of stress and have flexing issues as well but they do not float too well as was evident in the Hudson river last week. Freighters and large fishing vessels are under enormous stress and heavy loads but have welded hulls, granted they are not made of aluminum but welding seems to work for the shipping industry. A co worker had to replace some rivits in his Princecraft as they were loose and actually sheared off and I have also heard people complain about cracked welds as well. To me welded or rivited does not matter it is just a matter of brand preference for some. Crestliner and Lund have been around a long time and I'm sure if either brand was not working well for the consumer the company would have changed their methods long ago.

Don

arvey

there's good and bad points on both,but if you pop a rivet well out fishing it's fixable enough to get you through the day or weekend whatever.if you split a weld the quick fix maybe a little more complicated.

arvey

Trevor Zimak
there's good and bad points on both,but if you pop a rivet well out fishing it's fixable enough to get you through the day or weekend whatever.if you split a weld the quick fix maybe a little more complicated.

arvey

I talked to the guys at Tompkins Hardware last year in Emo and they told me that they were seeing a lot of Crestliners were the weld that meets the gunnel to the transon cracking. Especially, with guys who were running 150+ four strokes. Last year my dad's cracked at the bottom of the transon right were the V was at the base of the hull. Nonetheless, it got fixed under warranty and plainted back up. No problems since.

Jayfishin

When it comes to metallurgy, rivots do not affect the integrity of the surrounding metal as welding can. Alot of metals tend to become brittle due to the changes caused by welding (heat) and if not done properly and in controlled environments there is a greater chance for defects to occur when in service (on the water). Rivots have been used to build many a thing over the last hundred years of which many are as solid as the day they were built.

Jay

Bottom Bouncer
I talked to the guys at Tompkins Hardware last year in Emo and they told me that they were seeing a lot of Crestliners were the weld that meets the gunnel to the transon cracking. Especially, with guys who were running 150+ four strokes. Last year my dad's cracked at the bottom of the transon right were the V was at the base of the hull. Nonetheless, it got fixed under warranty and plainted back up. No problems since.

The word is "Transom" and "Painted" :P

REELBAIT