• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BONESEY

Question about pickeral

Guest BONESEY

Hey everyone

I got a question about walleye. Early in the ice season i seemed to be able to hook fish pretty regularly now all i seem to catch is pike and perch. Ive asked around and ive heard that mid season fishing is generally a tough bite, picking up during late ice. I guess the fish have got to feel the effects of the past few months of cold but is there a way to increase the odds.

Do they bite better later in the day/night this time of the season, or do they move out in too deeper water?

thankss

NWO Fishing Bum

There is no doubt the walleye fishing is best at first and last ice...always a slow down in mid-winter. First ice in particular, late in the day seems best for walleyes, but again the strength of this trend diminishes along with the overall action mid-winter.

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest BONESEY
There is no doubt the walleye fishing is best at first and last ice...always a slow down in mid-winter. First ice in particular, late in the day seems best for walleyes, but again the strength of this trend diminishes along with the overall action mid-winter.

NWO Fishing Bum

so the fishing slows but it doesnt stop, do u jsut have to put in the time and hope for the bite?

NWO Fishing Bum

I think the answer is essentially yes. I rarely fish mid-winter through the ice anymore for this reason. Skiing (and several other winter activities) is far more exciting mid-winter than ice fishing. I often take time to poke at a few of my dumber friends who spend all day in -20C for a handful of fish at best...it seems to be the repeating lesson they refuse to learn. Give me my skis, or a snowmobile, or my curling stuff...all of which and more provide far more excitement than essentially standing still staring down several holes that produce fish at an average rate of less than 1/hour.

My advise is to focus heavily on other activities mid-winter, then gravitate back to more fishing mid- to late-March, when the mercury is north of -5C and fish activity is on the rise again!!

NWO Fishing Bum

Guest BONESEY
I think the answer is essentially yes. I rarely fish mid-winter through the ice anymore for this reason. Skiing (and several other winter activities) is far more exciting mid-winter than ice fishing. I often take time to poke at a few of my dumber friends who spend all day in -20C for a handful of fish at best...it seems to be the repeating lesson they refuse to learn. Give me my skis, or a snowmobile, or my curling stuff...all of which and more provide far more excitement than essentially standing still staring down several holes that produce fish at an average rate of less than 1/hour.

My advise is to focus heavily on other activities mid-winter, then gravitate back to more fishing mid- to late-March, when the mercury is north of -5C and fish activity is on the rise again!!

NWO Fishing Bum

haha no chance, ill be out this weekend.

Guest Nick C

I second that Bonesey! Getting out fishing every now and then this winter is the only thing that keeps be from getting bad cabin fever :lol:

Nick C

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Bonesey the key is to go fish boulevard lake haha, I hear theres hundred pound sturgeon in there.

Just dont get caught on the ice!

Brodie K.

Guest BONESEY
Bonesey the key is to go fish boulevard lake haha, I hear theres hundred pound sturgeon in there.

Just dont get caught on the ice!

Brodie K.

ahha ill leave that to the current river boys, and i already got my sturgeon haha.

Guest BONESEY
ahha ill leave that to the current river boys, and i already got my sturgeon haha.

are u gona come fishing this weekend?

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Most likely, I had another friend wanting to go but that might fall through. Ill know more soon enough. Where were you thinking?? got a new rod and reel as well, very nice indeed

Croat

I have noticed that fishing usually gets slower about now when I had my hut at Birch island.Water got shallower as ice got thicker and I started catching more pike.

I moved this year to Sand point fishin 6-8' of water and it has not slowed down at all.Now the water is 4-6' and still catching

lots of Walleye large and small.I`ve only caught 2 pike one small and one very big.Lots of Burbot after 9:00pm.

The Walleye move a little every time I go there,usally within 20-40' from last time I was there which is natural.

Guest BONESEY
I have noticed that fishing usually gets slower about now when I had my hut at Birch island.Water got shallower as ice got thicker and I started catching more pike.

I moved this year to Sand point fishin 6-8' of water and it has not slowed down at all.Now the water is 4-6' and still catching

lots of Walleye large and small.I`ve only caught 2 pike one small and one very big.Lots of Burbot after 9:00pm.

The Walleye move a little every time I go there,usally within 20-40' from last time I was there which is natural.

Thats good news how to you get to sand point haha.