• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nonus

Flies For Steelhead

Guest Nonus

Besides ye olde egg, what kinda of flies do you use for steelhead here locally? I got some eggs only in once size though (14) due to my current limited supply of hooks and some egg sucking leeches. Looking at what else I should tie for the spring, want to get my arsenal ready.

RLK
Besides ye olde egg, what kinda of flies do you use for steelhead here locally? I got some eggs only in once size though (14) due to my current limited supply of hooks and some egg sucking leeches. Looking at what else I should tie for the spring, want to get my arsenal ready.

I don't fly fish for steelhead but lots of guys do well with various sizes of nympths. I tried drifting last spring with them and was impressed.

Guest Beamer

I like stones and buggers when flyfishing for steelhead here are a few patterns that work for me.

dscf01872.jpg

dscf01862.jpg

dscf01882.jpg

dscf01892.jpg

Beamer

Guest Nonus

Any chance of getting the material lists for the first three. I see some biots and turkey some sort of dubbing and ribbing.

Is there anything that the wooly bugger isn't good for?

Guest Beamer
Any chance of getting the material lists for the first three. I see some biots and turkey some sort of dubbing and ribbing.

Is there anything that the wooly bugger isn't good for?

Material list is like this

Tail - goose biots

Body- weighted .20 lead, dubbed brown/black Haretron dubbing over wrapped with vinyl ribbing

if gills are desired use ostrich herl also

Wingcase - turkey tail feather coated with flex coat,

Thorax - dubbed brown/black Haretron

Legs- ringneck pheasant body feather flex coated and the separate fibres to look like legs tied in under wing case but over dubbing

Antenna - biots

Not too much a wooly bugger isn't good for, it imitates lots of buggy things, here are some leeches that also work well, but better in the fall for me

Fallflies.jpg