• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Catching Whitefish

Bear

Managed to get out today for some whitefish. They are really aggressive right now and we had no problem catching a bunch in a very short time, just west of Kenora. They are fun to catch and real fighters. These guys weighed about 4 pounds roughly.

Bear

Bear

They are a little hard to light.....yep we are smoking some...mmmmmmmm. I also make fish soup and chowder with them.

They really are fun to catch, they really fight. We were in about 50 feet of water and they fight right to the hole, lots of fun.

Bear

idealteak

Really nice catch Bear. I have tried fishing near Thunder Bay for some whitefish but with no luck. Can you let me know what you like to catch them with? Is there any secrets that you can share? Thanks.

Albert

Bear

A flasher or depth finder is a great help to see what depth they are at. We found most of of our fish between 40-60 feet. I think they are at all depths, this particular lake has lots of whitefish. I use a Swedish Pimple smaller size about 2 inches long and tip two of the three prong hooks with power maggots in pink or white, just to add some stink. I let the jig drop to the bottom, reel up 2 turns and pop it once, let it sit for 10 seconds and pop it again. Pay close attention to your line, if it goes slack, set the hooks, they hit kinda like a lake trout.

I think any long, skinny, shiny lure will do the trick. If you dont get a bite, keep reeling a few turns until you find what depth they are at. You can also watch you electronics to determine depth.

Better yet come out to Kenora and we will go.

Bear